Natural

peter pandy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Five days since trapping this Magpie and using it as a decoy with no success in capturing more has me wondering !!, Although their are still some around they have never attacked the flock being quite happy to share the roof without mishap !! SO is it possible I have caught the trouble maker which I may keep as a pet. Still caged of course..

You need to get a magpie from another area for your trap, don't you know anyone else with a Larsen trap so you can swap birds ?

Caught 6 here using local bird but I prefer the Larson junior which snaps shut when other birds try to get to decoy with a bit of dog food .

Five days since trapping this Magpie and using it as a decoy with no success in capturing more has me wondering !!, Although their are still some around they have never attacked the flock being quite happy to share the roof without mishap !! SO is it possible I have caught the trouble maker which I may keep as a pet. Still caged of course..

if you want we can swap pets have a nice black & white here a bully 12 so far a proven bird :drinking-coffee-200:

Yesterday I was saying "Nae Luck" and this morning one obliged, That may save a song birds youngsters says I to Wee Mary who wanted me to remove it from the area, Aye says I, will I take it over to Coxydene and give Tiger the headache. NOT..

What a week-end this has turned out to be !!, Weather wise we were basking in glorious sunshine through the week and now its Souwester and wellies, Colony are just pleased not to be turfed out in it.

This late start has at least one positive Peter....I wont read you lamenting on how cold it is for a first race or how yer hens are still feeding youngster etc etc.....straight in there from the start pal

Wondering what to write about under the circumstances we find ourselves, and not being a selfish person (like some), I came to the conclusion that when in my RAV I am totally isolated from all and even carry my loft Air Cap in the event of any problem which could occur.

SO with that in mind I gave the Yearlings 4 training tosses without loss, for their 5th I decided to go further afield with the 29 and it would appear they run into a BASSA or two resulting in a massive loss to the colony.

3 days later I now have 11 home well flown down and judging by body loss I would say they had covered 600 miles. BUGGERED and racing still not started.

Wee Mary asked if I would be training again this week ? and you can imagine my reply !!, Well that's fine so you can make a start on cutting the hedges that you keep putting off that its too warm, birds nest etc and that will take your mind off your feathered friends, Geez, is their no help for the ?????? ???.

Wondering what to write about under the circumstances we find ourselves, and not being a selfish person (like some), I came to the conclusion that when in my RAV I am totally isolated from all and even carry my loft Air Cap in the event of any problem which could occur.

SO with that in mind I gave the Yearlings 4 training tosses without loss, for their 5th I decided to go further afield with the 29 and it would appear they run into a BASSA or two resulting in a massive loss to the colony.

3 days later I now have 11 home well flown down and judging by body loss I would say they had covered 600 miles. BUGGERED and racing still not started.

Wee Mary asked if I would be training again this week ? and you can imagine my reply !!, Well that's fine so you can make a start on cutting the hedges that you keep putting off that its too warm, birds nest etc and that will take your mind off your feathered friends, Geez, is their no help for the ?????? ???.

Alas, alas. . . Hope more work in and they have a speedy recovery. :)

Where did u go

Relocated 6 Magpies that were captured and now zero in the vicinity !! Just like my race team of Yearlings finishing up with 12 from 29 with the last one after 7 days minus wing and tail feathers, So that one is put away till next year.

With the older inmates all down on eggs I can perhaps give a few training spins more out of boredom till racing commences (if ever) and moulting allows although I don't see a problem if we disregard all the negativity from certain quarters who appear to know nothing re our sport.

Relocated 6 Magpies that were captured and now zero in the vicinity !! Just like my race team of Yearlings finishing up with 12 from 29 with the last one after 7 days minus wing and tail feathers, So that one is put away till next year.

With the older inmates all down on eggs I can perhaps give a few training spins more out of boredom till racing commences (if ever) and moulting allows although I don't see a problem if we disregard all the negativity from certain quarters who appear to know nothing re our sport.

So....latebreds are a pain in the *expletive removed* as yearlings?

• 2 weeks later...

Aye Stevie, However at the moment what remained have been trained out to 90 miles without any further losses and am quite pleased with the outcome. We just never know what they are experiencing every time they go in a basket !!. I like many others would have paired with the Gold Cup in mind and mine were in fine fettle moult wise for next week however it is doubtful if they will be OK for the end of July, Time will tell,.

Aye Stevie, However at the moment what remained have been trained out to 90 miles without any further losses and am quite pleased with the outcome. We just never know what they are experiencing every time they go in a basket !!. I like many others would have paired with the Gold Cup in mind and mine were in fine fettle moult wise for next week however it is doubtful if they will be OK for the end of July, Time will tell,.

• 4 weeks later...

With my National candidates flown out to 250-350 miles it was time to take stock and start intensive daily training for those with the Gold Cup in mind and disappointment follows me like a ton of bricks on my shoulders.

All with no exceptions are Moult wise, finished for the season !!, which only leaves me with the couple of youngsters to face the slaughter of the innocents (Y.B. Racing). With really good friends rearing me Youngsters with the promise that I would race them I have no option but to full fill my promise and carry on regardless. What a season this has turned out to be and can only hope it is the first and last with lessons learnt.

• 3 weeks later...

Saturday 25th July had me taking the 11 young birds for their first toss at 20 miles and all home in jig time. Later that evening sitting in the loft on my perch with a cuppa a Cheq Cock stuck out like a sore thumb and had me wishing I was sending him to the Gold Cup, On checking my records he was my first bird from Billericay 350mls 14 Hrs on wing 14 days before and I had entered on my notes at the time that he was in marvellous condition for his time on the wing. SO I had another look at him and lo and behold he has dropped 2 flights together in each wing which is a sign of super form and have sent him the 560mls for his third race this year, Will I get him to-morrow !! Time will tell..

Saturday 25th July had me taking the 11 young birds for their first toss at 20 miles and all home in jig time. Later that evening sitting in the loft on my perch with a cuppa a Cheq Cock stuck out like a sore thumb and had me wishing I was sending him to the Gold Cup, On checking my records he was my first bird from Billericay 350mls 14 Hrs on wing 14 days before and I had entered on my notes at the time that he was in marvellous condition for his time on the wing. SO I had another look at him and lo and behold he has dropped 2 flights together in each wing which is a sign of super form and have sent him the 560mls for his third race this year, Will I get him to-morrow !! Time will tell..

All the best m8 hope you get him my guess is yes

very best of luck Peter .