Natural

peter pandy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I should have mentioned the Cocks had another 20 miler on Thursday with another tail wind and all were ensconced in the loft within 20 Minutes, mmm !!. This had me checking wattles for scorch marks.

you beat them hame then???...efter strapping up the baskets and loading the car...you been investing in a ferrari peter <_<

Well I sent all 17 race Cocks driving to Slauterburn and had my eye taken with a 2 Y/O Chequer which was jumping up and down 3ft in the air continuously for an hour before basketing which was rather unusual as I don't recall that type of experience before, It should be interesting to see whether it is a feature of form or just a daft Doo. Mind you it handled excellent, the eye was brighter than normal, and lovely warm feet..

With the first race under their belt it was sore returns for this poor sod, It all started well with the Cheq Cock putting in a good performance to the loft but decided to wait and let others put in an appearance before being the gentleman like his daft owner came down from the chimney and let three others go in first after having a little pigeon chat about them being slow coaches on the landing board, He would not have been First in the club against roughly 250 entrants but would certainly have been Second. The team performance I could not complain about as I had 7 in the first 20 and 12 within 15 minutes had me believing it would be full returns in jig time however him upstairs decided enough was enough and three hours later I had the 13th from 17 sent and that was it. Where the other 4 went is a bit hurtful as they were 2/3 Y.O. with plenty racing experience. I have this thing about Slaughterburn and the returns from the Club members seem to prove the point. I will not be sending with the Club next week as I do not see the point in starting East then going West then back to East serves no purpose except confusion. OMO..

How do those fanciers who race and train north then turn them round and race them south manage ??

The race this coming week is from Appleby with the entire Southern Uplands in front of them and the raptor population is rife in that neck of the woods which is why the Scottish Federations moved to the East side of the country.

How do those fanciers who race and train north then turn them round and race them south manage ??

It has nothing to do with training North or South Kevin and I should have omitted confusion.. In the past I used to give my National birds a final training toss from Perth and always watched them heading North when liberated and out of sight, It would always take them a couple of hours to do the 40 miles which obviously sharpened them up mentally.

The race this coming week is from Appleby with the entire Southern Uplands in front of them and the raptor population is rife in that neck of the woods which is why the Scottish Federations moved to the East side of the country.

Not all of them

Last weeks race from Slaughterburn appears to have been excellent for our club members with quite a few on the Fed result including this poor soul who has 4 on the Fed sheet, Wee Bruv topped it and followed up with Third as well.. ""Keep yer remarks tae yerself Tiger"" LOL.

With all my Hens having laid this past few days I will be by-passing this weeks race and will continue in my haphazard fashion in having them ready for the following week.

With the crap weather experienced this week it was with trepidation that I gave the Hens 4 training tosses from 20mls and was relieved after them all returning in good fettle, I suppose jumping them into 160mls for their first race this year will be a different kettle of fish but needs must.

Sitting in the loft this evening flicking balls of cheese around had them scampering to and fro with the Cocks roaring, letting me know that all is well, and a couple of spare Hens eyeing them up has a wee bit of jealousy creeping into the equation. 48 Hrs and I will know for certain..

Morning Folks I currently don't keep or race pigeons now but hoping maybe to re-start one day but if I do I only want a few just for fun and will probably only be racing Natural to an 8x6 loft, hopefully open hole and keeping to nature as much as possible...I have in the past raced for many years since the early 70s but just fancy keeping about 6 to 8 pairs (no prisoners) total freedom what do you reckon one's chances are in these days...last time I raced was about 2003/4ish and two failed attempts to re-start recently (neighbours from hell) just not worth it at present address at this moment in time, your thoughts greatly appreciated as if I do re-start fancy a crack at the distance.

Sent 19, 2/3 year old Hens for their first race at 160 mile and had an enjoyable race with 18 from 19 on the shift, A wee bit behind the winner but still took 5th Club and 5 in the first 20, The first to the loft was my choice bird as she was sitting 14 day eggs and had to be lifted from her nest at 16,00 hrs for basketing. No pools in our club which is a pity as she would have won them for sure.

With another return to the jubilee for a consultation with the Surgeon who replaced my Left Knee to-morrow, it should be interesting as to what he can do to give me some relief for the continuous stiffness and pain. Wee Mary the "Dowager" is hoping I will be kept in as she says she is needing a holiday. :o :o :o

The "Dowager's" holiday will have to take a back seat as after X Rays the surgeon says my problem is old age in my Left Hip, Canny spell Athritis, and he will replace it if I wish BUT I will make do with what is left of me.

With the team going 24 Hrs earlier it rather knocks my system out and no doubt a few will be thinking the same, However I don't know anyone who works nowadays so we are all in the same boat and the BIRDS welfare come FIRST.. So its 14 Cocks for to-morrow 187 miles which will be their second race this season, A nice wee 100 mile jump.

They say 13 is unlucky for some and as I could not find a 14th so 13 had to do.. Fridays race came and while expecting an arrival around 1500 Hrs it came and went. 1600 Hrs and the Club Sec phoned to tell me the clocks would be opened at 1700 Hrs and I turned suicidal as I had not seen a feather. Never before have I been so late in a 190 mile club race and do not have a clue as to what the problem could have been, I finished the day with 7 returning which was pretty good when I heard of the returns for the other Club members and massive losses ensued.

The next morning was rather dreich although another 2 turned up and that was my lot. I do not think I am wrong in stating that 30% of the entrants are missing and don't go along with the theory that they could not have been good enough.

Oh well there is always the next race to make amends and I will be struggling again as my Hens are due to lift and lay this week. The joys in keeping our feathered friends..

• 2 weeks later...

Not being superstitious I sent 13 again to the 240 miler and was 20Mts behind the winner and at the coos tail in the result, It was a funny old race with the Fed being 1 Hour behind all the other Feds on the transporter after a simultaneous liberation !!!!!.

Not intending to participate this week with the SNFC Buckingham as I don't believe in Inland Nats nor the politics off how they came about, I wish the few Feds who are running a separate different race all the best, Should I send a couple it will only be for training purposes for the proper Nat races which are over 500 miles into Central Scotia.

Not being superstitious I sent 13 again to the 240 miler and was 20Mts behind the winner and at the coos tail in the result, It was a funny old race with the Fed being 1 Hour behind all the other Feds on the transporter after a simultaneous liberation !!!!!.

Not intending to participate this week with the SNFC Buckingham as I don't believe in Inland Nats nor the politics off how they came about, I wish the few Feds who are running a separate different race all the best, Should I send a couple it will only be for training purposes for the proper Nat races which are over 500 miles into Central Scotia.

Proper nat races?? Jeez

When I joined the SNFC the Constitution stated "For the encouragement and promotion of Long Distance Racing Into Scotland", not the format at present Steve, would you not agree ?.

It's too hard to have 3x water races and nowt else as in the past Peter.....sometimes there is hell to pay if 350mile races dont suit like bedhampton 2017....hard race after hard race from the channel is a tough gig. Just ask yourself how many times you have entered a water race and been successful in the last 20 years?? I am sure a true reflection would have you agreeing with the toughness theory. So these inland nats are good for the bank balance good for the fancier to gauge his squad so in all good for the sport. My opinion of course

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Kevin, Quite a few guys have been enquiring regarding my absence and to be perfectly honest "it's an age thing " I think.. I have to consult my diary for notes and will start from where I ceased.

I did not participate in the Buckingham Nat as to my mind it's a waste of time in this neck of the woods and it would appear to have been a disaster returns wise according to locals, so the following week I sent 2 to Ripon and my ETS packed in so it was a trip to Dougie Bald for repairs. Meanwhile a wee 2 year old Blue Hen was telling me she wanted a new nest site on top of all the nest boxes in the East Section, So I obliged and shoved an empty bowl in the corner and she went a bit scatty not allowing any loft mate within 8 feet of her, On checking the Loft Book I noticed she had only 2 Races and won 8th fed Ripon and 11th Fed Newark, 160 & 235 Mls.. With her new Nest Bowl position she laid perfectly and sat her first live eggs 10 days and she went to Maidstone with the Nat Winning 3rd Fed 40th Sect 377 mls. Hatching and feeding a pair of 6 day youngsters for departing to the Gold Cup she was my sole entry arriving with DRIED MUD up to her knees and 1 YARD from gaining an Open position, Well she never had a drink in the basket. She still won 1st Fed flying 525 Mls but I was rather peeved off and could have wrote much getting me into trouble.