Natural

peter pandy

Aye it's done well for a 2 Y/O Late bred as are all in the colony. Continuing on I then sent 3 to Reims Nat 570 Mls which was all that was available due to nesting cycle and had high hopes for one and the other 2 were last chancers, Three days after lib I had my fancied one return minus 1/4 of a tail and all the Secondary's from one wing, Yet to see another feather and that concluded my racing for the year. Some would say it is a short year however the time and effort I spend in that period is quite sufficient for this auld timer and I do have a young bird team to rear from all that remains which will keep me occupied till September, Hoping to Winter around the 50 mark and have the Late Breeds exercised and muscled up over the Winter months ready for next year.

The young bird racing in the Fed ceased after 3 races due to losses and it is well documented my feelings on the slaughter of the innocents..

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With this years youngsters now out the nest and stretching their wings it appears all is well with only 2 fatalities which were dead in the nest for no obvious reason, So I am extremely pleased with the outcome, There are no favourites amongst them for obvious reasons and will be taking to the big blue in the next week or so, Plenty nourishment for muscle growth and feather quality is a must for the colony and will be provided for, with them lacking for nothing.

It would appear by the latest question regarding ACV that not many give their birds the benefit of an acidic level in the crop and gut however I have gave it for more years than I can remember apart from this time last year and that was an error of management that will never be repeated, I changed my usual product this year to Braggs with the mother and am sure it is the very best available and will continue its use 2/3 times weekly. My other must have is Naturaline which I believe gives a quality of feather that is superior to any other product, But that is my belief and I shall not change it

To finish, Thank-you for the Birthday Wishes yesterday and at 73 I don't feel a day older than the day before.. :drinking-coffee-200:

• 2 weeks later...

An age thing does not come itself and this past fortnight has been a bit of a nightmare having had to resort to Opiads after my shoulder operation and Physio to repair and strengthen the damaged tendons, The long shot being I appeared to not give a toss regarding what was going round about me so stopped the Opiads and went on the shakes resulting in sleepless nights and loss of appetite "Good for the figure says wee Mary", However not to be outdone I contacted the Flu to go with the rest of my problems.

Taking myself down to the Loft was an effort although I persevered regardless to complete the requirements of the colony and remove a bucketful of feathers daily, Where they are all coming from at this time of year has me wondering if we are in for an early severe Winter and the Northern Geese are heading South I reckon a month early.

Nest boxes are now devoid of all equipment and the Late breeds have started to take to the sky ""No losses in my 2019 team"". Another couple of weeks should see them bunching up and touring the countryside. My heart goes out to those who persist in Y.B. racing and I don't miss it in the least, Preferring to rear only from those which have completed the O/B season 2018 Yearling L/B included, which have been at 250 miles..

• 4 weeks later...

With winter fast approaching the loft has had another coat of external varnish applied with wee Mary finally giving in and completed the front under the veranda.

It is a relief for no doubt many of us that the body moult is almost completed and only a few feathers are being blown around now. I have treated them with Sedochil and Naturaline on alternate days and the colony has responded well in their new coats.

Sending away for an 8x4ft sheet of Polycarbonate cut length wise has had me renewing the front of the Loft with a 4ins gap at the bottom letting air "ventilation" in and keeping rain/snow out, The last sheets lasted 9 years so had my money's worth out of them.

This time last year I was going through old articles of champion fanciers and came across one from 2012 regarding Mark Gilbert and his feeding regime of 365 days a year which I found extremely interesting so thought to myself I will give that a years try, "nothing ventured nothing gained" so they say.. To be perfectly honest I was more than happy with this year's results from my meagre team and would continue as per last year.. Now the crux of the above had me going back into the same write up as last year to find it had disappeared and was replaced by Mark advocating V/L and not his original mixture which he had fed successfully for years was Beans/Maize/Wheat and Red Band. Just wondered WHEN he changed to V/L.??.

Body moult in full swing in my bit pal. Hope you are well.

I imagine you are feeding 100% barley, sedachol, hemp, linseed .....and some veg

Nae Barley for me Steve and its a Savoy pinned up on the veranda along with the rest.

Feeling much better now that the Opiates are off the menu for blinking good and the pain is sufferable if I watch what I am doing, I have a marvellous Physio who is helping out on a regular basis although I don't give much hope for my left arm, Nest boxes have been lowered to accommodate it likewise perches, anything above elbow height is a no go BUT life goes on LOL :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Nae Barley for me Steve and its a Savoy pinned up on the veranda along with the rest.

Feeling much better now that the Opiates are off the menu for blinking good and the pain is sufferable if I watch what I am doing, I have a marvellous Physio who is helping out on a regular basis although I don't give much hope for my left arm, Nest boxes have been lowered to accommodate it likewise perches, anything above elbow height is a no go BUT life goes on LOL :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

You always had a problem using arms when trying to get them into your pocket

In other words your a tight git fact

In my rending's from last month I mentioned that all the nest boxes had been cleared of pans etc, Well to be honest it was not quite so as I let the couples go down on eggs after rearing the Late Breds to sit on china's while moulting and when lifting after 3/4 weeks was when the bowls were removed and all nesting equipment, However 2 Pairs continued to sit for 5/6 weeks and one decided enough was enough and the nest duly cleared, However the other and last pair to sit was bugging me so decided to lift them off and on doing so their was a pair of just hatched chicks. China eggs don't hatch says I to myself when it clicked that I had lifted a pair of china's a couple of weeks before from the floor but never gave it much of a thought. This sad old git has become extremely sentimental and now have a pair being reared in October which is a first for me so do not know how they will turn out but given the chance they may repay me in the future..

Hoovering feathers every second day now and although I have had the colony out every day whether it is sunny or dreich at least some feathers are not being deposited on the loft floor and I am of the opinion they prefer to bathe in the downpours we have experienced almost daily this past 6 weeks rather than the bath which is prepared for them.

The twa youngsters in the nest are coming along in leaps and bounds and will be 8 months old come the first race in May, No doubt the race programme will commence in the middle of April again but I will be giving the start a body swerve..

Hoovering feathers every second day now and although I have had the colony out every day whether it is sunny or dreich at least some feathers are not being deposited on the loft floor and I am of the opinion they prefer to bathe in the downpours we have experienced almost daily this past 6 weeks rather than the bath which is prepared for them.

The twa youngsters in the nest are coming along in leaps and bounds and will be 8 months old come the first race in May, No doubt the race programme will commence in the middle of April again but I will be giving the start a body swerve..