Natural

peter pandy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well the 2 youngsters have left the nest and I can find nothing wrong with them although reared this month, Makes you wonder with the parents moulting severely and rearing a pair of young at the same time.

With all being separated the colony are flying freely on intermittent days putting in a goodly shift and regardless of those who say "I should be keeping them in". Each to there own and I will continue to do as in the past.

Hopefully their will be a more competitive season next year for the team with moves afoot.

Well the 2 youngsters have left the nest and I can find nothing wrong with them although reared this month, Makes you wonder with the parents moulting severely and rearing a pair of young at the same time.

With all being separated the colony are flying freely on intermittent days putting in a goodly shift and regardless of those who say "I should be keeping them in". Each to there own and I will continue to do as in the past.

Hopefully their will be a more competitive season next year for the team with moves afoot.

Been told the midland fed is now defunct any truth in this ?

Special Meeting been called to dissolve but don't know by whom as their has not been a Delegates Meeting to discuss same.

I hate hearing of things like this happening to clubs or Feds

We should all be helping each other, coming together, cutting costs, trying to get better racing..

At the same time still letting clubs and Feds retain their identity and history..

When do older birds get past their best at breeding quality youngsters says I to myself !!,

Even when you switch the eggs under a younger pair to rear them the quality appears to disappear, I only wonder due to taking 4 eggs from a 10 year old Cock paired to a 3 year old Hen and having to dispose one from each nest as being not right, When I say not right one had a drooping wing and could not fly that I could find no reason for and the other was always hunched up with blown feathers.

With the Moult nearing completion all looks ship shape with the colony and the only feathers being hoovered are down feathers which are not stuck to the droppings.

On a personal note the surgeon who operated on my shoulder says it will take 2 years for the tendons to knit so I will just have to put up with being unable to use it for certain duties which includes delving into my pocket for my wallet !!!.

Drooping wing, blown out feathers and hunched up are you sure there isn't a health issue there Peter? From what your describing it sounds like symptoms of paratyphoid, or streppi? I think and know of many winners to come from old stock, and the quality of rearing never changed from when they was younger, so I do not think it is an age thing?

Edited by Wiley

Aye Wiley, Posts 1505-1520 last year has perhaps reared its ugly head, as the only bird kept from my late mates was the 10 y/old Cock which has been moved on after consulting notes. He was the last, and only really kept for sentimental reasons.

Sentimentality is a human trait that nature does not cater for, so I have no doubt brought this on myself. Lesson Learnt.. and the remaining 2 from him have also been moved on. My medicine chest is my wheelie bin.

Aye Wiley, Posts 1505-1520 last year has perhaps reared its ugly head, as the only bird kept from my late mates was the 10 y/old Cock which has been moved on after consulting notes. He was the last, and only really kept for sentimental reasons.

Sentimentality is a human trait that nature does not cater for, so I have no doubt brought this on myself. Lesson Learnt.. and the remaining 2 from him have also been moved on. My medicine chest is my wheelie bin.

Paratyhoid is a filthy *expletive removed* and can blight a loft

Thank-you for the possible information, However Paratyphoid can only affect HUMANS not any other animal but Streptocossis is a lack of the Immune system which is the line I am going down with the loft having a weekly spray of Jeyes over the perch areas and feeding / water troughs. Bacterial infection has been ruled out within the colony for over a year and I still maintain that my late mate destroyed his birds Immune system with the use of Baytril..

Thank-you for the possible information, However Paratyphoid can only affect HUMANS not any other animal but Streptocossis is a lack of the Immune system which is the line I am going down with the loft having a weekly spray of Jeyes over the perch areas and feeding / water troughs. Bacterial infection has been ruled out within the colony for over a year and I still maintain that my late mate destroyed his birds Immune system with the use of Baytril..

https://www.idt-animal-health.com/pet-owner/pigeon/diseases/paratyphoid/

The past couple of days has seen the return of Blue sky's with the Temperature hovering around 2C and the colony exercising up to 2 Hours high up which had me thinking about Dell's Xmas race and should I participate ??, Well I said to Wee Mary "can I borrow a couple of quid for your Xmas present" Carry on say's she who is the BOSS and I nipped over to Vic Couper and entered 3. Up the creek if they don't produce a performance..

Global Warming had me looking up my daily diary. Now the Forth and Clyde canal froze over in January this year for the first time last Winter. and, for the past 2 days it has been frozen over again roughly 2 Months earlier than last year. Global Warming my Back-side. With drinkers frozen solid.

• 1 month later...

How's things Geordie ?, Well I suppose I cannot complain when I look around and see the problems other have, "Uncle Albert" on Basics has a serious lung infection and spent the past week in hospital so my wee sister is looking after his birds for him with me looking after wee bruvs birds while he is swanning around the Med on holiday for a couple of weeks. Apart from that not much happening.

In the loft the Late Breeds are still putting in a couple of Hours running and I still have twice the amount of Hens for available Cocks which will mean having to revert back to Roundabout when racing commences in April which is just round the corner.

So, I can only say from Wee Mary and I, A Very Merry Xmas to all our friends.. :drinking-coffee-200:

Jack Frost has put his usual appearance in lately and it's slip and slide time again in the garden, Noticed Uncle Albert "Him doon the street" back out and about going down to his loft so that can only be a good sign as I was worried he might have to pack the birds in with his lung problems, At our age we can only look on the bright side and keep smiling.

The colony is out intermittently and enjoying the freedom of the sky while I carry out the daily chores with the scraper leaving me to wish you all a very happy and successful New Year from Wee Mary and I.

:drinking-coffee-200: :drinking-coffee-200:

• 2 months later...

It's been an enlightening experience this past few months with those who I was convinced were friends but turned out to be back stabbers with the attitude of "F" YOU JACK, we are OK.

Anyway now I know where I stand with the locals I can look forward to the future,, John and Freddy Jamieson have welcomed me to join their Club and it only meant adjusting racing / training technique to accommodate the 45 mile round trip each day on Friday / Saturday when racing commences next month.

All is well in the loft and sample tests have proved Negative to all which saw me pairing 20 Maiden Hens to 20 Cocks with all down within 10 days, No problems there as the team is as fit as fiddles with the Winter exercise almost daily.

It's been an enlightening experience this past few months with those who I was convinced were friends but turned out to be back stabbers with the attitude of "F" YOU JACK, we are OK.

Anyway now I know where I stand with the locals I can look forward to the future,, John and Freddy Jamieson have welcomed me to join their Club and it only meant adjusting racing / training technique to accommodate the 45 mile round trip each day on Friday / Saturday when racing commences next month.

All is well in the loft and sample tests have proved Negative to all which saw me pairing 20 Maiden Hens to 20 Cocks with all down within 10 days, No problems there as the team is as fit as fiddles with the Winter exercise almost daily.

Expand Peter, what has happened?

So easy to lose friends when they feel hard done by or unjust decisions don't go THERE way,Denny members held a meeting as the Midland Fed was no longer operating and we needed a Federation to transport our birds for season 2020. options available were Central Fed or North West Fed or Almond Valley Fed. We approached all three and N.W.F. was the only Federations willing to pick up the birds from denny clubhouse,with Central we would need to transport birds to Broxburn round trip of 45 miles: and only one member was keen to join Almond Valley Fed. At the meeting the options available to the members with N.W.F. being the prefered choice. we applied for membership and the Denny members were all accepted bar ONE MEMBER so at the meeting held in Denny club it was unanimously and democratically done they choose the N.W.Fed leaving one member to fly solo as he was not allowed to join for reasons only known to members of N.W.Fed. my own view is clubs, Federations should stop living in the past and welcome any pigeon fancier to the sport regardless of past indiscretions, we should have central marking and all Feds merge.

Spock says, “Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.†Captain Kirk answers, “Or the one.