Natural

peter pandy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My colony is just going down with the last 3 laying this evening. 12 days from pairing till all laid says their is nowt wrong with the condition off them, Perhaps the Winter exercise has a bit to play.

When I have ascertained what has paired to what I may rear a couple of youngsters for the YB Nat but it wont be more than 6 as I will be maintaining my Late Bred programme for youngsters.

My colony is just going down with the last 3 laying this evening. 12 days from pairing till all laid says their is nowt wrong with the condition off them, Perhaps the Winter exercise has a bit to play.

When I have ascertained what has paired to what I may rear a couple of youngsters for the YB Nat but it wont be more than 6 as I will be maintaining my Late Bred programme for youngsters.

Naebody talked ye intae abandoning latebreds? Mince in my opinion

Naw Stevie, Just the opposite especially when you count last years losses and racing being abandoned.

Numbers dusnae equal results.....the latebreds are just as big a liability as young birds when they are pressed down the road....of course you could treat them with kid gloves this year and end up wae a couple...but you could have raced young birds and ended up the same....game hasn't changed....all this has been tried before(by me aswell)

So the game has not changed !!!!!!!!!!!!! Aye it has in many respects, Far too many to go into detail regards them all. Lofts have changed dramatically, So has Feeding, Racing techniques and medications has given us diseases never before heard off, Stress is not in my old dictionary and the World Wide Web has given us an untold wealth of information.

Every pigeon in my loft is a Late Breed that has wintered, grown, moulted and developed in a natural way with daily exercise and feed.

Race Routes have been changed and distance races being shortened year in and out.

Percy Cameron will be burling in his grave the changes that have been made.

So the game has not changed !!!!!!!!!!!!! Aye it has in many respects, Far too many to go into detail regards them all. Lofts have changed dramatically, So has Feeding, Racing techniques and medications has given us diseases never before heard off, Stress is not in my old dictionary and the World Wide Web has given us an untold wealth of information.

Every pigeon in my loft is a Late Breed that has wintered, grown, moulted and developed in a natural way with daily exercise and feed.

Race Routes have been changed and distance races being shortened year in and out.

Percy Cameron will be burling in his grave the changes that have been made.

485 tae Rennes 466 tae Burdinne hardly huge. Quite sure most folk in the railway would join you in a crusade to get back to the traditional route lol.

BOP is whats changed racing the last 20 year.

Hardly a race goes by without pigeons returning flights missing and or injured.

Some of the results i see of short inland race for pigeons flying into Scotland the first 6 or so being 100s of yards apart...expletive remove

Must be wick with the fkn things

😡

With all the Pairs laid safely and no squabbles for a nest box they are on an open loft to roam around the vicinity for 6 Hours daily and hopefully the Terror Eyes balloon will keep the Bassa's away. The 5 Spare Hens are attempting to entice any amorous Cock and will no doubt succeed judging by the goings on up on the roof tops and a pair of lesbians seem to be getting it together so they will be a having a live egg if they find a spare Nest Box to lay in. Oh aye its all turning out nicely. :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Some of the nests are now overflowing with the Daily introduction of Marsh Reeds with both Cocks and Hens collecting them, Hens out this afternoon put in almost 2 hours flying which was a surprise and completed the exercise with a salt bath.

Going through my Diaries of 15 years ago I disposed of quite a few 12 Bore Cartridges that brought back happy memories especially the one that flew in the back door of the Summer House and out the front door landing 3 feet from me. Perhaps it was suicidal..

With the colony down on eggs this is the time I introduce Naturaline for 8 days into the drinker which I have done for many a year and it appears to do what it says on the bottle, The difference this year with the colony I have noticed, is that when the Loft is opened at 12.00 Hrs all the Hens take to the sky for a lengthy time and only wish to return to the Loft at the appropriate time for returning to the nest whereupon the Cocks will do the same for an Hour or so from 17.00-17.15, This has never occurred in the past as it was always the norm that exercising was the last thing on their mind when sitting. Wee Mary is not amused that Dinner times have had to be changed to a later hour. I did point out to her that when we were employed by the Nobility Dinner was always 20.00 Hrs did not cut the mustard with her as she says we are not Nobles and you can make your own.. Ain't life a Bug*er.

With a change for the better in the weather the Colony has resumed exercise for a good period. Loft opened at 09.00 and closed at 20.00 !!. Dinner resumed at normal times !!.

A bit of fun and games within has developed with 2 Hens wishing to sit a nest when the Cock comes off sitting and mayhem takes over, Just wish there had been a race this week-end as they are both up for it, Apart from that the other 19 Pairs are content and looking splendid with a keenness for their box and appetite remains good.

Just a little mention regarding training last week-end here in the metropolis, a pea souper with continuous drizzle was the order for 48 Hours and keeping them in the loft was the order off the day... Training you would have to be mad..

The Garlic I grew last year was a disaster so this year I have been purchasing the large garlic bulb from Morrisons which comes in its own mesh bag, Now I peel and skin the cloves before blending them then put the chopped up Garlic back in the mesh bag and reseal it, Drop it into the drinker and add 2 Ltrs water then top up daily for 7 days, Dump and repeat. Birds look marvellous on it and it is supposed to help kill Bacteria causing Cocci, Canker and worms, I should add that I include 10/15 Mls Cider vinegar when I top up with 1 Ltr water daily.

With just over one week to go before racing commences I will in all intensions start training daily with short distances encouraging their homing and fitness abilities to develop without upsetting their equilibrium. There have been times in the past when I would have no qualms about starting them off at 100 Miles with confidence however with last years virus affecting the flock I will take it slowly and watch developments, although I am confident all will be well.

The colony certainly look the part and have performed extremely well exercising over the Winter months to leave me confident that all is well within, however this sport has a tendency to kick your *expletive removed* when you least expect it.

The Garlic I grew last year was a disaster so this year I have been purchasing the large garlic bulb from Morrisons which comes in its own mesh bag, Now I peel and skin the cloves before blending them then put the chopped up Garlic back in the mesh bag and reseal it, Drop it into the drinker and add 2 Ltrs water then top up daily for 7 days, Dump and repeat. Birds look marvellous on it and it is supposed to help kill Bacteria causing Cocci, Canker and worms, I should add that I include 10/15 Mls Cider vinegar when I top up with 1 Ltr water daily.

I should have explained myself a little better and that I only give Garlic for 3 weeks prior to racing. The reason being that Garlic not only destroys Bad Bacteria but Good Bacteria as well, However Cider Vinegar acidifies the crop and gut which replenishes the Good Bacteria and the destructive Bacteria cannot survive in an Acidic environment.

Sorry if I have mislead anyone and nobody has queried the Post.

First race in a couple of days had me giving the Cocks a 20 miler on Easter Monday which they covered in 20 Minutes with the wind up their backsides, Following day was total cloud cover and dull so was a no-go, To-day the same and temp dropped to 10c and a kick in the crutch to keep it company with word of another Pre-Op on Saturday morning so I will give this week a body swerve and see what transpires for race 2. Aye it never rains but pours on this poor soul..

First race in a couple of days had me giving the Cocks a 20 miler on Easter Monday which they covered in 20 Minutes with the wind up their backsides, Following day was total cloud cover and dull so was a no-go, To-day the same and temp dropped to 10c and a kick in the crutch to keep it company with word of another Pre-Op on Saturday morning so I will give this week a body swerve and see what transpires for race 2. Aye it never rains but pours on this poor soul..

hope all go,s well for the pre-op Peter .

hope all go,s well for the pre-op Peter .

Aye Andy, I had my first Pre Op 5 months ago and the surgeon said he would have me in for an emergency operation before Xmas !!, He did not say which year though LOL. However with the first race put back 24 Hrs will see me perhaps sending a reasonable team of Cocks as the Hens are all being chased back for their second round on eggs.