Racing Youngbirds Without Any Training

BANDIT

have written about this a few times Paul . was going to try it this time , but wasnt brave enough .tried latebreds into 60 odd miles to start and they coped well enough .

Andy i remember about 10 years ago i had a lovely flashy blue p hen and the guy i was training with told me she used to turn the whole batch back when they tried to leave and told me to leave her at home.she had just 3 or 4 tosses to about 12 miles That weekend we were at 191 miles our longest inland race...i put her straight in and i got her in front of about 20 of the 50 i had sent...

So does everybody else's. Some might breed a 100 and throw them in and get 75% and call it a success. I'm not sure it's the way for the wee team man

I agree as I don't have the space for heaps of doos so I can roughly manage 50 birds split 25 yb and 25 ob, I have small garden so no space for fancy big lofts

I used to train youngsters about 12 tosses out to 35 miles and still had losses come racing so gave it up and do not have any serious losses other than the ones you were PROBABLY going to lose anyway. I emphasize ""probably"" because no one can guarantee what will make it home.

Andy i remember about 10 years ago i had a lovely flashy blue p hen and the guy i was training with told me she used to turn the whole batch back when they tried to leave and told me to leave her at home.she had just 3 or 4 tosses to about 12 miles That weekend we were at 191 miles our longest inland race...i put her straight in and i got her in front of about 20 of the 50 i had sent...

the odd one , can do well . heard folk only training them to come out the basket in the front garden , getting them from races . i knew an old miner who was to frail to train by bicycle, had never learnt to drive or ride a motorcycle. he used to put them straight in and get most to complete the season. however this was a few decades ago .

I used to train youngsters about 12 tosses out to 35 miles and still had losses come racing so gave it up and do not have any serious losses other than the ones you were PROBABLY going to lose anyway. I emphasize ""probably"" because no one can guarantee what will make it home.

So Paddy do you not train at all now and just put them in to the race...how far would the first race be and what would your returns be like.

I have heard of the odd pigeon being thrown in and making it home, however, I definately think they are following the batch and is more luck than good practice. The large liberation is enough to scare well trained birds far less first in the basket birds, Would love to know how they perform on a bad day.

Terrain ,and racing to a small area by that i mean a city ,small federation area ,birds converge on small area not finding to much difficulty in locating own loft ,IMO could try no training but on a large fed need training ,but on saying that they all require basket training of some sort so they dont hang about in basket at liberation .

Me and many more do and have. Straight into first race or second is splitting teams.

Was the time when MOST did it as a natural thing. Before cars and the train cost 2/6 or 3/6 at least. Used the races with certain ones in mind. Chosen to get a few miles under their wing to sharpen them up etc.

No disrespect meant, but how does one conceive that they are teaching their' birds what comes naturally?

Indeed, like the myth of breaking points and other adages.

Was a time when I lived 200 yards from a 2 and half mile lake. This could of course be seen for absolute miles away from the air. Yet often they flew by from a wee toss and became strays just a couple of miles away. Indeed some would sit on the church top 50 yards away. But missed and came back. Some call that 'gaining experience'. ... For what! Do we believe that the pigeon knows it's learning to race lol.

No a pigeon flies home because it wants to be there. To it's next box or perch. Because that is the place it wants to be.

Time it takes is just a matter of the wanting to. No one, but no one can, or ever has of course, motivate, or trained a pigeon to race.

Just WHAT one feels to please own ends. the 3 C's plus one more C is all that is a must. Then their fitness and mental state takes over. Loft fit is all that they need to start them off.

I thought Del did some as such this start of this season start. Seems it was as good as his other birds.

The main barrier is the stigma of fanciers crying rubbish about 'Shouldn't etc. because '...'. Then of course because they 'Don't' because they daren't and fear others that do will, and might steal a March.

If one hasn't tried it like, they their thesis is irrelevant. The downing calls are no more than striving after the wind.

If health allows me to race this next season - Didn't allow it this season as past season - I will be entering birds, this years youngsters straight in at 150 mile or so first time in basket. Maybe it is why the rush home lol. Maybe the shorter ones come to think of it if can get to the club etc.

This is what my dad and nigh all fanciers in the club / fed did in the 50's / early 60's did, Admitted it was 65 miles then to Workshop.

Hardly enough money to support the family, let alone put it on their birds.

Mind if my health starts to deteriate I shall be packed up any intentions of keeping my birds.

Very soul destroying to have them looking so grand and not racing.

Totally agree mate,terrain has a lot to do with education.

when i raced in ireland in partnership with my uncle we could put them into 140 miles down the coast and get them no probs just loft fit . They prob be bit behind but just follow up the east coast and west wind held them on coast . If i tried that hear in west side putting them into 140 id be lucky to get many back and it would be luck .The cumbrian hills and pennines would stop them .

when i raced in ireland in partnership with my uncle we could put them into 140 miles down the coast and get them no probs just loft fit . They prob be bit behind but just follow up the east coast and west wind held them on coast . If i tried that hear in west side putting them into 140 id be lucky to get many back and it would be luck .The cumbrian hills and pennines would stop them .

bang on robert and with the falcon problem the last thing we need is birds that want to fly round the lib site before they they home giving percy time to get to them as you say might be ok on the east side with the coast as a hand rail most or all of the way home but not over here