Y/b's Sickness Started

Roland

Where?

It is all very well stating that pigeons catch it from others in the Race panniers, drinkers passing it on etc.

BUT they - some originally obviously - had it to have it first to take into the panniers!

Many believe it is airborne. Stress related.

If airborne then NIGH all would have it... certainly those suspect to it ... then like a cold, nigh all folks have a touch of it -(different strains affect different people differently) so some have the symptoms and suffer, others take no notice.

Maybe those birds with good constitution aren't affected?

If stress then the onus would have to be down to the management.

Then again many go down with it in lofts that don't, or haven't, sent their' birds to any races, or even trained.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All young, of any species, are susceptible to illness. I believe that YBS is a broad spectrum of many differing symptoms and secondary infections.

Where and when did it start? I am not long enough in the game to answer that, but when I did keep pigeons back in the 60's, they either didn't get ill or didn't survive the illness. Old fashioned treatments usually ended up in the bin.

We have better support from vets nowadays and therefore treat and save more of our pigeons. Is this from where the weakness has come or is it just that illnesses have mutated.

As our standard of living increases, we tend to spend more on our hobbies. More research is funded and more sophistication is introduced.

As Alan said on another thread, he tends to train them, race them and feed them accordingly. He wondered if we were making it too complicated for ourselves.

Are we? Should we return to old fashioned methods where the bin will become the main recipient of those that become ill? :)

One discussion I had recently with a well informed source suggested it started when a very Tranquil loft introduced a certain family of pigeons from Belgium.

The owner then wrote about it in his weekly column blaming it on a lack of calcium in the food chain. He recommended adding a handful of lime to the drinker and set up a fund to look into the problem.

The cash was donated to Tom Pennicoat at Auchincruive who later published his findings in the fancy press.

I first encountered it in 1990, purchased 6 Boykin youngsters from a fella in Liverpool and 3 of the 6 showed signs of what we now call y/b/s. At the time I talked about it to old hands asking what could be wrong with them, got the same response from all ' something they must've picked up pecking around'. The following year I bred from these and their youngsters went down with it along with a few of my own.

I came to the conclusion which I still believe to this day is that once a pigeon has contacted y/b/s it becomes a carrier, passing it onto their young where it remains dormant in them until put under stress.

No cures or preventative treatment for it, just have to accept it and manage it when it flares up.

I first encountered it in 1990, purchased 6 Boykin youngsters from a fella in Liverpool and 3 of the 6 showed signs of what we now call y/b/s. At the time I talked about it to old hands asking what could be wrong with them, got the same response from all ' something they must've picked up pecking around'. The following year I bred from these and their youngsters went down with it along with a few of my own.

I came to the conclusion which I still believe to this day is that once a pigeon has contacted y/b/s it becomes a carrier, passing it onto their young where it remains dormant in them until put under stress.

No cures or preventative treatment for it, just have to accept it and manage it when it flares up.

that would suggest if you get it once you get every year this isn't true with most cases i know around my area or my own loft

AND WOULD THINK THE YBS ARE UNDER STESS EVERY YEAR WITH TRAINING RACING

i believe you can use preventive measures through natural herbs

and if if does strike use 3 day treatment

DUZ WURK FOR SURE

not failed yet

Many years ago no one needed to vaccinate there birds and young birds still had the same stress of training & racing no one had heard of young bird sickness then if you had a couple of young birds throwing up most put it down to sour crop and a charcoal pill or Epsom salts usually did the trick, I think after many years of blind preventative treatment of birds we have now got birds with little or no natural immunity to disease

So, at seasons end, throughout the so called dormant months, the birds in the lofts are all thought to be clean and in good health free condition. .... Then these healthy birds breed pigeons that contract y/b's sickness. How? More importantly why?!

I hear, and it must have a bearing of truth, that after y/b's many race them through with great success etc. Which I personally don't doubt for a moment.

Are we to say then that healthy birds are breeding inferior birds with poor constitutions?

For a fact, at some time birds are healthy going to the races ... Indeed it has to be some thing out side of the races that one can place the blame ...

Kyleakin Lofts regards Old time as I have posted before certainly bears some merit... Otherwise inferior will, or are breeding MORE inferior birds.

Guest johnhunter

So, at seasons end, throughout the so called dormant months, the birds in the lofts are all thought to be clean and in good health free condition. .... Then these healthy birds breed pigeons that contract y/b's sickness. How? More importantly why?!

I hear, and it must have a bearing of truth, that after y/b's many race them through with great success etc. Which I personally don't doubt for a moment.

Are we to say then that healthy birds are breeding inferior birds with poor constitutions?

For a fact, at some time birds are healthy going to the races ... Indeed it has to be some thing out side of the races that one can place the blame ...

Kyleakin Lofts regards Old time as I have posted before certainly bears some merit... Otherwise inferior will, or are breeding MORE inferior birds.

by so called pigeon men that do not treat

that would suggest if you get it once you get every year this isn't true with most cases i know around my area or my own loft

AND WOULD THINK THE YBS ARE UNDER STESS EVERY YEAR WITH TRAINING RACING

i believe you can use preventive measures through natural herbs

and if if does strike use 3 day treatment

DUZ WURK FOR SURE

not failed yet

DUZ THIS WORK, ;)

I can in all honesty say quite categorically that I have never experienced YBS in my loft or any loft where I have had the pleasure of being in charge of the inmates.

I put it all down to vaccination at the proper time and I insist that if you vaccinate your youngsters when weaning instead of a week or two even three before training them then YOU are heading for trouble.

Every bird I have in my loft will be Vaccinated at least 8-10 weeks before pairing regardless of when it was previously vaccinated. Every fancier should have a vaccination gun which can be kept in a fridge ready for daily or weekly use..Nothing to do with stress as that is only an excuse trotted out by those looking to put the blame on anything other than themselves..

duz work

some say it works and others say its useless

but you get that with all remedies

What remedies do you use?

This was my first year back racing an my youngsters got it . I was told by a very successful fancier that he doesn't get ybs as he breeds very early an when it comes to training an racing his birds are over 6 months old an they have an adult immune system . Don't know if he was right or not but no harm in trying next year

What remedies do you use?

This was my first year back racing an my youngsters got it . I was told by a very successful fancier that he doesn't get ybs as he breeds very early an when it comes to training an racing his birds are over 6 months old an they have an adult immune system . Don't know if he was right or not but no harm in trying

nyfuimeicin (spelling)

only had it the 1 time

and this cleared it up

but most of my birds were not raced again the same year

as tried it with 10 3 weeks later and dropped 5

I can in all honesty say quite categorically that I have never experienced YBS in my loft or any loft where I have had the pleasure of being in charge of the inmates.

I put it all down to vaccination at the proper time and I insist that if you vaccinate your youngsters when weaning instead of a week or two even three before training them then YOU are heading for trouble.

Every bird I have in my loft will be Vaccinated at least 8-10 weeks before pairing regardless of when it was previously vaccinated. Every fancier should have a vaccination gun which can be kept in a fridge ready for daily or weekly use..Nothing to do with stress as that is only an excuse trotted out by those looking to put the blame on anything other than themselves..

What would the fancier have to blame his/her self for for getting young bird sickness?

Our own findings this year racing from 2 different yb lofts

The 1st lot all went into the loft within 3-4 days of eachother and never as much as a watery sh!te all year

The 2nd loft has had yb's added to it over the course of maybe 6 weeks and we have culled maybe 7 or 8 and treated them a couple of months before racing started but after sending them all out to 210mls we have near enough equal amounts in both lofts after the season ended

Where?

It is all very well stating that pigeons catch it from others in the Race panniers, drinkers passing it on etc.

BUT they - some originally obviously - had it to have it first to take into the panniers!

Many believe it is airborne. Stress related.

If airborne then NIGH all would have it... certainly those suspect to it ... then like a cold, nigh all folks have a touch of it -(different strains affect different people differently) so some have the symptoms and suffer, others take no notice.

Maybe those birds with good constitution aren't affected?

If stress then the onus would have to be down to the management.

Then again many go down with it in lofts that don't, or haven't, sent their' birds to any races, or even trained.

Roland I stopped racing my young birds many years ago when my ybs went down with it the day after the race,every yb was removed sorry to say but since I stopped yb racing I can assure you I have NEVER had ybs got to add no birds in the loft gets antibiotics or other junk.

U are talking nonsense I've tried everything and still get it ever year u must be that great tell me what I plus the rest are doing wrong

Many years ago no one needed to vaccinate there birds and young birds still had the same stress of training & racing no one had heard of young bird sickness then if you had a couple of young birds throwing up most put it down to sour crop and a charcoal pill or Epsom salts usually did the trick, I think after many years of blind preventative treatment of birds we have now got birds with little or no natural immunity to disease