My Gps Doo

grizzle09

Very happy to say I got my gps bird home from Oban (128mile) at the weekend and the results is very interesting!

The birds were liberated at 8am and as far as I can make out he took 14 minutes of circling before heading on his line of flight home following the Glen North,

Weirdly he seems to land 16 mile North of Oban minutes into flight for no apparent reason (spooked by bop maybe?) for 52 minutes before heading off again, He follows closely along Loch Linnhe upto Fort William where he was raced from the week before, From Fort William he then follows Loch Lochy upto Fort Augustus where he was raced from 2 weeks previous then cuts over the loch to fly north to just east of Inverness changing direction easterly to get home,

Its apparent that he does his best to avoid populated areas such as Inverness, Nairn, Forres, and Elgin whether this is intentional I dont know??

Overall he flys 152mile with a top speed of 52mph at times and at altitudes of 738 meters above sea level over the Munro "Sarin á Choire Ghairbh" at Loch Lochy which is very close to its peak which suggests they don't always fly around mountains but over them all the while crossing bodys of water without hesitation,

He was only one of 191 liberated that morning so how much of it he flew him self and if his route was influenced by other birds is unknown,

Thanks again Simon for the gps ring!

post-6832-16212115524537_thumb.jpg

post-6832-16212115604512_thumb.jpg

post-6832-16212115718472_thumb.jpg

post-6832-1621211587805_thumb.jpg

post-6832-1621211603675_thumb.jpg

post-6832-1621211614848_thumb.jpg

post-6832-1621211624807_thumb.jpg

I noticed that miles flown where in excess of measured distance .Can probably be said that most races flown are well in excess of measured distance . Hence birds taking all day to home from a relatively short distance. Of course some will wait it out if danger is sighted .For nearly a hour if need be .A very interesting article.

Thought ... perhaps this could be funded by each club or feds or the shu ..this would have a great effect on the training and knowledge of flightpaths and info could be used to try and have bops re located from these flightpaths by the rspb .if not the info gathered could be used legally to have them removed by the rspb ..one lives in hope ...onwards n upwards ...all the best to all ..sandy

Thought ... perhaps this could be funded by each club or feds or the shu ..this would have a great effect on the training and knowledge of flightpaths and info

could be used to try and have bops re located from these flightpaths by the rspb .if not the info gathered could be used legally to have them removed by the rspb ..one lives in hope ...onwards n upwards ...all the best to all ..sandy

I think this could be done with feds investing in a set u.u only need one ring reader and charger and laptop.so if club/fed buy the set up then members just need to get rings

Alot of good info mate we will get more done.im just sorry my two birds are not back to help give us a better idea. Tommmorow hopefully lol

So I take it that you have to get the birds home before you can trace their flight path?I thought that you could actually follow their route on your computer whilst they were flying.Maybe I'm just too old to understand, but it doesn't seem to be much use if the doos don't return.Not being dismissive of the trial,I think it would be great if we could follow their course.

So I take it that you have to get the birds home before you can trace

their flight path?I thought that you could actually follow their route on your computer whilst they were flying.Maybe I'm just too old to understand, but it doesn't seem to be much use if the doos don't return.Not being dismissive of the trial,I think it would be great if we could follow their course.

Some info is better than no info well done on sharing the info