Natural

peter pandy

Having reread my post No 105 on Buster's Topic, I have decided to return to racing Natural as against Roundabout which I have practiced with some success and failure bearing in mind that what I personally term as successful may not to others.

At present my loft is geared to Roundabout however the two 10 x 10ft sections will undergo a bit of modification and be turned into 12 nest boxes in each section with 12 V perches above them.

My Race team is roughly 25 pairs, mostly yearlings due to new stock purchased last year although a couple of 2/3 year old's have raced out to 550 miles and have picked up a couple of Fed positions.

Most of you Basic Members will have realised in my past writings that I am "Old School" and have accomplished what some have aspired to, and others would wish to.

I am not antithetical just set in my way's through succesful experience and if my ramblings can bring you what you want to achieve then I will be happy for you.

On the off chance any reader wishes to know what my credentials are let me say that I have won everything I wanted too win and my endeavours over the years brought Top Fanciers to my door offering me Loft Manager's positions of which I only accepted one taking him to heights not experienced in 25 years. The others being T.C.Ogilvie,at Stirling. Brian and Cornelia Long,at Gipping. C.J.Williams, at Longborough which I accepted and spent my happiest days.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"The auld git has gone back to the auld weys" :D

Peter, I wait with bated breath to read of your exploits. I think the value of the old ways have been discarded by many, in the name of progress, but the progress is indeed doubtful. :)

Life nowadays is too fast, pigeons should be enjoyed as a leisure pursuit at a leisurely pace. :)

Some of the most valuable lessons I've been taught have been passed down to me by 'Old School' At the time of being told I poo-poo'd their thoughts thinking to myself things have moved on since their day. It took me many years to realise that these passed down gems are as valid today as they were yesteryear, they're incorporated into my management to this day.

I'm sure there's something to be learnt by following this thread, novices take heed.

Some of the most valuable lessons I've been taught have been passed down to me by 'Old School' At the time of being told I poo-poo'd their thoughts thinking to myself things have moved on since their day. It took me many years to realise that these passed down gems are as valid today as they were yesteryear, they're incorporated into my management to this day.

I'm sure there's something to be learnt by following this thread, novices take heed.

old knowledge,is power as they say!!,a old school fancier that sadly is no longer

with us,taught me the sport i still use his methods in my system today,it was frowned apon

by other pigeons fanciers,but they got a shock on race day,,,

am glad he took the time to teach me this,as now the knowledge lives on,and is not forgotten

am still using what he taught me in this futuristic day and age,we live in,and it still works perfect!

Thanks for all the kind words above and yes there are times when I have said to myself lately "what did you do that for" ??. When I started over 50 years ago pigeon lofts were no bigger than 14ft and if you wintered 12 pair then you would be classed as a big team man concluding that if you sent more than 12 birds to any race you were a mob flier.

Club pools were £45 paid out back in early 1960 and the 43 lofts in the club were all determined to lift the money with their pooler. Training was done by train to either Carstairs or Beatock 35/45 miles and liberated by the station master whether it rained snowed fog or sunshine, but our birds were healthier and hardier then than now and losses were not as severe. Beans was the staple diet and if you could afford them New Zealand Maples were mixed in with a little Cintuentinha Maize. This mixture was No1.and would take you to 250 miles. Extra maize was added to take you the distance and was termed No2 unlike the rubbish we feed nowadays but that is for another day.

To-day in the loft after cleaning out all the Hens were vaccinated and moved into the aviary loft where they will stay until pairing on the 23rd March and all birds were fed with a rubbishy mixture coated with Ground Nut oil and ""Flight Path"" which is what I give them on the 1st of the month every month through out the year. My rubbishy mixture is an Irish Supreme Mix which bring another litle snippet from the archive. In the past the Irish wanted to keep all the Scottish strays and the Scots wanted to keep all the Irish strays as we both thought they were superior. That's DOO men for ye. :emoticon-0136-giggle:

great to see you putting your thoughts on here Peter I look forward to reading your snippets and know doubt will include some of them into my program I love to read the writings of people like yourself who have wore the t shirt for the last 50 yrs over the years Pigeon Basics have given me much pleasure I Know that you are a great believer in Beans a fact you dont mind sharing ? Bring it Oooonnnnnn

regards peter

C.J.Williams.

When I first saw C.J's palatial house in it's wonderful Cotswold setting I was rather over awed at the spleandour off the estate and rather intimidated being a town boy rather than a country bumpkin however the welcome he showered on Mary and I soon put both of us at ease.

C.J had a marvellous personality and never at any time were we hired hands but trusted friends being introduced as such to the many visitors he entertained both in the house or beautiful award winning gardens which were open to the public at certain times of the year with all donations going to charity.In fact not many know but C.J. set up the Sue Ryder charity supplying shops through-out the county out of his own pocket. His charitable side would have given him a Knighthood however Prince Charles was a frequent visitor along with Diana when both were visiting Highgrove and when it transpired a divorce was on the cards due to Charlie's dalliances with Camilla C.J. told the prince he was no longer welcome at his house in the future. "End of Knighthood".

More to continue:-

old knowledge,is power as they say!!,a old school fancier that sadly is no longer

with us,taught me the sport i still use his methods in my system today,it was frowned apon

by other pigeons fanciers,but they got a shock on race day,,,

am glad he took the time to teach me this,as now the knowledge lives on,and is not forgotten

am still using what he taught me in this futuristic day and age,we live in,and it still works perfect!

Looks like you have a good system in place, what system do you fly.

What sort of birdage does the club you fly in send each week, what federation is it you fly in.

I'd be intrested to know what your target is this year Peter? I know you don't want to compete every week and aren't interest in yb racing. So what you going for mate the nationals from across the water?

ATB Peter looked forward to reading your post :drinking-coffee-200:

I gave up on targets a while back as it occurred to me that if you dont reach your target then disapointment ensues which can lead to despondancy, so to enjoy myself I will set a bird up for a race and if it wins then that is a bonus if it is first to the loft then that is not a disaster as it has tried its best but perhaps another day at a different race point might do the trick. One thing for sure is through observation you have mastered that birds potential and "observation" is the key word.

I gave up on targets a while back as it occurred to me that if you dont reach your target then disapointment ensues which can lead to despondancy, so to enjoy myself I will set a bird up for a race and if it wins then that is a bonus if it is first to the loft then that is not a disaster as it has tried its best but perhaps another day at a different race point might do the trick. One thing for sure is through observation you have mastered that birds potential and "observation" is the key word.

How are you retarding the wing moult?

Good way of looking at it I suppose

For anyone interested if you google Windy Ridge, Longborough you will see the home of CJ Williams.

I have a friend in the area ( Vic Compton ) who once did a write up on CJ during Peter's time there.

I have no idea of the article content but I do know that he did one.

Actually after I mentioned it to him tonight he is now looking for the original article. I didn't mean him to go to that bother.

How are you retarding the wing moult?

With old birds I have never had them past the third flight due to pairing up in March going to the last National and with young birds if the weather is the same as last year when it was dark at 9pm I would switch the lights on until 10.30pm. Stevie If I am setting a cock up for the Gold Cup as I did last year he would be racing to his first youngster of the year. Unfortunately this did not suit him in 2015 as he was 10th Open Liecester 250 miles three weeks prior and perhaps put to much effort in so that may have put him off. In 2014 when I sent him he was feeding his first youngster and clocked him to be First Midland Fed at 16.45 second day.

With old birds I have never had them past the third flight due to pairing up in March going to the last National and with young birds if the weather is the same as last year when it was dark at 9pm I would switch the lights on until 10.30pm. Stevie If I am setting a cock up for the Gold Cup as I did last year he would be racing to his first youngster of the year. Unfortunately this did not suit him in 2015 as he was 10th Open Liecester 250 miles three weeks prior and perhaps put to much effort in so that may have put him off. In 2014 when I sent him he was feeding his first youngster and clocked him to be First Midland Fed at 16.45 second day.

Very good Peter. Here's a thing, if you were only interested in national distance racing would it not be easier to keep the birds celibate until pairing for yer chosen nest condition 2/3 weeks prior? No problem with wing moult or hens laying ?

Very good Peter. Here's a thing, if you were only interested in national distance racing would it not be easier to keep the birds celibate until pairing for yer chosen nest condition 2/3 weeks prior? No problem with wing moult or hens laying ?

Tried that Stevie and is it not the same as Roundabout or pure Widowhood ? Like me the birds did'nt like it either.

Tried that Stevie and is it not the same as Roundabout or pure Widowhood ? Like me the birds did'nt like it either.

Ye we didny like it either cos we were last lol. It would be the easiest way if results urnae yer thing until distance races. The only problem would be that you would have no barometer for form.