Natural

peter pandy

from the 25 pairs you started with how many do u have left and what distance have they flown?

Having made the error in pairing later "on hindsight" I had to play catch up with them. I started racing with 25 from 25 at 85 miles then some were started at 110 miles some more at 150 miles and some at 200 miles so losses were to be expected. Some were jumped in all probability too far from an 85 mile toss into 200 miles but this was a problem off my making, anyway at the moment I have 20 left from the original 50 with 9 being lost in the three Nats I went to with 14 entries and two which never seen a basket a second time being hawked and two which were disposed.

I am coming to the conclusion that the Natural system is doing my head in as plans are dependant on Hens laying on time and losing partners severely upsets all that you have worked and put in place for.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Having made the error in pairing later "on hindsight" I had to play catch up with them. I started racing with 25 from 25 at 85 miles then some were started at 110 miles some more at 150 miles and some at 200 miles so losses were to be expected. Some were jumped in all probability too far from an 85 mile toss into 200 miles but this was a problem off my making, anyway at the moment I have 20 left from the original 50 with 9 being lost in the three Nats I went to with 14 entries and two which never seen a basket a second time being hawked and two which were disposed.

I am coming to the conclusion that the Natural system is doing my head in as plans are dependant on Hens laying on time and losing partners severely upsets all that you have worked and put in place for.

The guy I am helping out has always raced natural, but next year I think he's changing to roundabout, trying to get hens to lay on time, then loosing so many training due to pere, means your forever playing catch up. The worst of all in my eyes is trying to get naturals fit for racing, training means more losses, round the loft they fly but just want to nest build or clap around, great to watch, again your on a loosing battle

Last 2 years I flew roundabout till national time then paired up to get them what a wanted sitting then once sitting they were in Training basket a few times. At the start of the season mines fly really well and as season goes on they seem to not fly aswell so that's why I repair. Maybe someone could tell my why they don't fly so well

"Blue Pied" if you find the answer let us all know..as I had the same problem but when I introduced a bit of barley in they responded better. On looking back my loft diary the birds were training rasonably well on 10% Barley which I stopped and replaced with Peanuts and Sunflower after Buckingham, So perhaps their is a possibility internal fat has contributed to a loss of form.

Thank you for your post as this was one of the reasons I started "Natural" to have input that others may find usefull as my experiences of a bygone day is long gone with new methods and circumstances replacing what we once had..

Thursday morning and the youngsters are out with a beautiful blue and white sky and a light westerly blowing and their is no word yet if the Roye birds have been liberated, However they are up at 08.45 and I said to myself "that's a bit late for 515 miles and 13 hours minimum on the wing".I just hope we all have a really nice sunset which will keep them going.

20.00 hrs and the sun has disapeared behind a grey veil and I am saying here in the Forth valley it will be dark earlier than expected but Hey Ho we are all in the same boat. Some wonderful birds clocked in late but they wont make it the 40 miles West into central Scotland so its an early rise.

Friday 04.30 and the sky is a dark grey but a Blackbird and Robin put in an early appearance in the garden [early bird and all that] so was entertained for an hour with their antics.

06.30 and three cups of coffee later I decided to pay my Brother in Law a couple of gardens away a visit as he has entered 3 and a blether with one eye on the loft.

Its still a dirty grey sky when at 06.45 a bird drops down from it onto my loft and I hastily head back home full of excitement to find its not the "Grand" but a latebred from Littlehampton with a damaged wing and on entering the loft I was dismayed to find the "Grand's" hen had abandoned their nest.

Now I have this thing about telepathy and when a nest is abandoned the bird away is not retuning soon and as I sit here and type this I am a wee bit forlorn that I wont be seeing him again and will have to look for another to take his place which will be difficult as he was such a character.

All in all, it has been a terrible old bird season for me, and could say I have never experienced a worse one for losses or results.

I am genuinely happy for those who have who have succeeded in their endeavours and for those who have been disappointed their is always next year if you have any youngsters left.

They say their is more to life than pigeons !! But I never found it so..Onward and Upward's is the motto when you are rock bottom. T.T.F.N.

Thursday morning and the youngsters are out with a beautiful blue and white sky and a light westerly blowing and their is no word yet if the Roye birds have been liberated, However they are up at 08.45 and I said to myself "that's a bit late for 515 miles and 13 hours minimum on the wing".I just hope we all have a really nice sunset which will keep them going.

20.00 hrs and the sun has disapeared behind a grey veil and I am saying here in the Forth valley it will be dark earlier than expected but Hey Ho we are all in the same boat. Some wonderful birds clocked in late but they wont make it the 40 miles West into central Scotland so its an early rise.

Friday 04.30 and the sky is a dark grey but a Blackbird and Robin put in an early appearance in the garden [early bird and all that] so was entertained for an hour with their antics.

06.30 and three cups of coffee later I decided to pay my Brother in Law a couple of gardens away a visit as he has entered 3 and a blether with one eye on the loft.

Its still a dirty grey sky when at 06.45 a bird drops down from it onto my loft and I hastily head back home full of excitement to find its not the "Grand" but a latebred from Littlehampton with a damaged wing and on entering the loft I was dismayed to find the "Grand's" hen had abandoned their nest.

Now I have this thing about telepathy and when a nest is abandoned the bird away is not retuning soon and as I sit here and type this I am a wee bit forlorn that I wont be seeing him again and will have to look for another to take his place which will be difficult as he was such a character.

All in all, it has been a terrible old bird season for me, and could say I have never experienced a worse one for losses or results.

I am genuinely happy for those who have who have succeeded in their endeavours and for those who have been disappointed their is always next year if you have any youngsters left.

They say their is more to life than pigeons !! But I never found it so..Onward and Upward's is the motto when you are rock bottom. T.T.F.N.

Next year pal we shall see a blog on here titled....old dog and new tricks??? The story of a stubborn old bugger as he moves to the modern ways lol......best of luck mate

It's been nice following your progress throughout the year hopefully next year is a better one

this season isnt over yet , surely theres more to come yet ? :emoticon-0138-thinking:

I've enjoyed most of the blog but at other times Peter i think yer an eajit :P

:emoticon-0136-giggle: , ouch .

I've enjoyed most of the blog but at other times Peter i think yer an eajit :P

I would not say I was an "eajit" Alf. Perhaps I have made mistakes and have admitted them with none of us being perfect.

This year was an experiment on old ways which served me personally in bygone days. We all have differing ideas and ideals on what we want to achieve. To me racing pigeons is not always about winning and I have won more than most but I can get a lot of pleasure from having a great trap even if I am last. To me its the memories that matter most along with the friends I have made through life. I am still able to laugh at myself being ribbed by my peers and my only purpose in this life is an attempt to make somebody laugh every day and if I can do that, then I am HAPPY.

I would not say I was an "eajit" Alf. Perhaps I have made mistakes and have admitted them with none of us being perfect.

This year was an experiment on old ways which served me personally in bygone days. We all have differing ideas and ideals on what we want to achieve. To me racing pigeons is not always about winning and I have won more than most but I can get a lot of pleasure from having a great trap even if I am last. To me its the memories that matter most along with the friends I have made through life. I am still able to laugh at myself being ribbed by my peers and my only purpose in this life is an attempt to make somebody laugh every day and if I can do that, then I am HAPPY.

Now yer being a sentimental eejit lol :lol::P

Now that the Old Bird season has finished, this old sentimental idiotic b~gger will move on with the Young Birds. What appears to be a mixed bunch that are only now starting to bunch and take off running due to April / May bred but flying through the moult are on their 4th/5th flights. I can only put it down to the weather we had 10th to 17th June when it was getting dark from 20.00 hrs through to 06.00 hrs and it created a semi darkness state kick starting the moult.

Come to think about the subject of light, The street light 10 yards from the loft conked out for nearly the whole of June. The reason I am giving this a mention is that normally my youngsters hatched in March would be on 3/4th flight at the end of August and this years hatched about 20th April are so much further on.

You have talked entertaining sh ite all year all the best mate but wee all can life on years gone. By move on lol

I firmly believe the problem with Natural is fivefold perhaps more.

1} When setting the individual bird for a target race the Hen has to lay on the precise day to reach the position you have noticed previously is her / his best racing condition, It is imperative. If you are out a day it can and will make a difference and switching eggs to suit reflects the same result as they are not stupid.

2} Losing a mate is detrimental to the condition of all with Hens repairing to a spare Cock and laying too many eggs in a season taking far too much out of their internal organs.

3} A late laying Hen missing out on a race programme and having to jump them 100 miles or being unable through circumstances and then having to jump them up to 200 miles due to the race programme that has increments of getting them down the road.

4} Unless the loft is open all day Hens will not excercise when sitting tight, Chasing them out the loft is detrimental to the Hens mental state.

5} The birds stop flying freely on pairing up and will remain so throughout the season.

I believe that is enough to be going on with as it is only entertaining sh*te for some..

1} When setting the individual bird for a target race the Hen has to lay on the precise day to reach the position you have noticed previously is her / his best racing condition, It is imperative. If you are out a day it can and will make a difference and switching eggs to suit reflects the same result as they are not stupid.

2} Losing a mate is detrimental to the condition of all with Hens repairing to a spare Cock and laying too many eggs in a season taking far too much out of their internal organs.

3} A late laying Hen missing out on a race programme and having to jump them 100 miles or being unable through circumstances and then having to jump them up to 200 miles due to the race programme that has increments of getting them down the road.

4} Unless the loft is open all day Hens will not excercise when sitting tight, Chasing them out the loft is detrimental to the Hens mental state.

5} The birds stop flying freely on pairing up and will remain so throughout the season.

I believe that is enough to be going on with as it is only entertaining sh*te for some..

I am enjoying it and would never derogitise it as sh te. Keep it going. :)

Who said that Peter?

they've some cheek calling yer thread entertaining :emoticon-0140-rofl:

My Brother and Brother in Law have a kind of partnership with my brother doing all the training. They started of at 10 miles with 60 youngsters and 33 made it home. They have dropped birds virtually every toss and started the second team with 14 at 25 miles and 2 days later they have 3 home. they have now decided to stop training altogether..

I found John Quinn's article on "Mental Training" very interesting and as my youngsters have not seen the inside of a basket yet with the first race this week-end which I had no intention of sending them to, I have decided to give it a try, so first race for mine will be Otterburn 84 miles with the Midland Fed and we will see what transpires..

My Brother and Brother in Law have a kind of partnership with my brother doing all the training. They started of at 10 miles with 60 youngsters and 33 made it home. They have dropped birds virtually every toss and started the second team with 14 at 25 miles and 2 days later they have 3 home. they have now decided to stop training altogether..

I found John Quinn's article on "Mental Training" very interesting and as my youngsters have not seen the inside of a basket yet with the first race this week-end which I had no intention of sending them to, I have decided to give it a try, so first race for mine will be Otterburn 84 miles with the Midland Fed and we will see what transpires..

Best of luck...........

How many you sending Peter?, good luck, itll be interesting to see the outcome as I know you will tell it how it is.