North of Scotland AGM fIASCO

To North of Scotland Federation Members

I am compelled to write this letter as our President Mr Birnie is being economical with the truth and is not being open and telling the members the true facts of the situation regarding forcing a postal vote on members and not an face to face discussion

[1] In his opening sentence he says he could not find suitable premises for an AGM " THIS IS NOT TRUE " in september he asked me to source a venue for the AGM . I got a fellow member  Ryan Hay to get a quote for the Deveronside football club  and I contacted The Banff Springs  for a quote both venues have a covid application risk assessment in place and I sent him the quotes . He has confirmed he got the quotes but said none of the venues replied to his phone call  so I expect he never pursued the matter as the hotel is open seven days a week 24\7

[2] He says he contacted the SHU President for advice on a ballot vote and was told he could hold one if he wanted . I had also emailed  the SHU for a rule on the same subject well before he did and the reply I received stated if premises were available that was the way forward only if the covis restrictions were re imposed would a postal vote be ok  and  as of yesterday is still  ignoring there advice 

[3] It all changed in October when all the club fed proposals were in and he saw five of the eight clubs proposed John Thomson for president for 2022 I dont know what the other three clubs voted for. He changed tac then and we were told there would be no face to face AGM  would be held and a postal vote would be used and that was final the ballot paper came out yesterday and the vote is for the President TEAM  against John Thomsons team ??? if the President lost the vote his complete TEAM would resign en bloc . John Thomson does not have a team he has still to be voted on if he wins the office bearers will be fill off the floor of a face to face meeting [  constitutional rule ]

[4] The vote papers will be counted and verified by Rick Richards  [ELGIN ] and Alister Reid [Keith ] two former fed secretarys   working independent its a secret ballot as the two mentioned and the President  will be the only people to see the papers  and will tell us the results . I am not questioning the two secretarys integrity  in any way but both are The presidents supporters so this is not independent the papers should have gone to the SHU  offices

He has been kicking the can for months now first it was covid  restrictions [ they were lifted ] then no venues { I solved that one ]  then he was in bad health  then he said he had covid  and would not be fit to take a meeting which is fair enough but he had a very  capable Vice President who could chair the meeting 

I could go on but this president has abused his position for his own gain and not telling members the true situation only what suits himself and he should reconsider his position as he has lost his credit ability and  the trust the members and  RESIGN ASAP 

gordon wilson  Deveron Valley PC  

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gordon , i too have concerns but mine are mainly concerning procedure and the constitution, no way can the officials of a federation decide to pull club proposals from an agm agenda and put them into a postal vote eg the current team of officials against a supposed team John which consists of to the best of my knowledge a nomination for president , one for race controller and one for secy who have never been asked their thoughts on this, and to then claim that they have approval for this from our governing body is beyond belief !! As it is the intention of our officials to resign en masse if any of their team lose out in a head to head vote we could be left in a position that if we have a postal agm we will have no officials  and surprise surprise will have to SOMEHOW find a venue capable of taking 60  double or triple jabbed oldies to sort out this shambles. Nobody has ever been elected as part of a team and every post is up for grabs every year and it is in the hands of ALL of our top table officials to either get a grip or make this years meeting your last in the post

1 hour ago, Deveron Lad said:

Spot on when any president of an organisation starts to tell untruths to their members it is Time for them to resign and step down

Good post Alex we need a AGM more than ever before. The truth must come out. My own club never proposed anyone for president as I thought it came of the floor. IMO we need a change at the top table I was sitting on the fence for a while but not now after hearing about all the porkies pies. Its embarrassing for the fed the way things are being handled. 

Totally agree with all the post  an AGM is needed If Mr Birnie thinks he is the right man for the job why does he not put it to the floor. To many lies maybe    Also if he is claiming he has that had covid WHY IS HE RUNNINING AROUND IN THE MIDDLE OF A COLD STORMY AFTERNOON POPPING LETTERS THROUGH FANCIERS DOORS IN BUCkIE     TODAY  ??????

TOTALLY AGREE WITH ALL POSTS AN AGM IS NEEDED IF MR BIRNIE THINKS HE IS THE RIGHT PERSON FOR THE JOB WHY DOES HE NOT PUT IT TO THE FLOOR TO MANY LIES MAYBE ALSO HE IS CLAIMING HE HAS HAD COVID WHY IS HE RUNNING AROUND IN THE MIDDLE OF A COLD STORMY WET AFTERNOON  POPPING LETTERS THROUGH FANCIERS DOORS IN BUCKIE TODAY  ???????

IMO, trying to pull the blinkers over each and every Federation members eyes by saying no venue could be found for AGM  leaves me having considerable doubt about a postal vote .I also have at this time reservations on part of the letter received this week stating that if winning Mr Birnie and his committee would take care of any other agenda ,to much going on to leave as is .I think the amount of confusing issues being raised by present top table warrant no less than a proper AGM .

So sad to hear this.  Our sport is ripping itself apart instead of pulling together.

Last year one of my Federations had an acrimonious split which was completely un-necessary.  The Disciplinary action which resulted in the split and our subsequent AGM were conducted by Postal Ballot due to the Covid situation.  To ensure that I didn't open any of the relevant letters the envelopes were marked Dis for Disciplinary and AGM.  The Disciplinary letters were counted by a local lawyer, luckily at no cost to the Federation.

The split ensued before the AGM and since there was no requirement for these papers to go to the same lawyer they were dealt with by myself. :)

Totally Agree !! Absolutely spot on Gogs with your Analysis ! The way this has be handled by President and his so called team is totally Corrupt and bang out of order (Not the first time) and now he’s been found out for lying and deceiving members and must face the music at a proper agm or resign !! For the future of those members who want to Race in NE Scotland there must be change at top 

It seems all mebers in the buckie club got letters hand deliverd through there doors late yesterday afternoon  in the letters as i understand was two boxes ( 1) tick for a postal vote  (2)tick for an agm, then post your form back to Rick Richards Elgin. I dont know what this is about as like most members in the club.  I did not recieve such letter I wonder why( Still Waiting )

19 hours ago, grdkeith said:

gordon , i too have concerns but mine are mainly concerning procedure and the constitution, no way can the officials of a federation decide to pull club proposals from an agm agenda and put them into a postal vote eg the current team of officials against a supposed team John which consists of to the best of my knowledge a nomination for president , one for race controller and one for secy who have never been asked their thoughts on this, and to then claim that they have approval for this from our governing body is beyond belief !! As it is the intention of our officials to resign en masse if any of their team lose out in a head to head vote we could be left in a position that if we have a postal agm we will have no officials  and surprise surprise will have to SOMEHOW find a venue capable of taking 60  double or triple jabbed oldies to sort out this shambles. Nobody has ever been elected as part of a team and every post is up for grabs every year and it is in the hands of ALL of our top table officials to either get a grip or make this years meeting your last in the post

:pidge:

I thank the fellow members for there support of my original letter most of you I know are speaking for the majority of your members who are not pigeon basic members or are not computer  literate . I also want to point out to other fanciers who dont know Mr Birnie  I think he is a decent man  and non of us are perfect and I for one dont take any  prisoners  but I think he is being given bad advice  . He took on our federation at a bad time just before Covid struck and all meetings were banned . he got the backing of the fed to steer us through this period , he has worked hard to keep get us racing  and I thanked him for that after the last young bird races . I have always helped him out if he requested a job done  as I know it was not an easy job but he surround himself in his team fanciers who only want to fly 300 miles others who only sent a few races and some who never sent at all . The result was the fed changed its direction and has now become a sprint middle distance federation  and being controlled by men who dont race birds 

Why have I changed my Mind on his leadership

After the fed proposals were delivered I got a got a call from Alan Foster the fed liberator questioning why my club Deveron valley wanted to cut the Scottish races  to only four old birds instead of the usual six . having six races up to 150 miles did not give the distance fanciers  birds enough time on the wing for the members who wanted to go to the nationals and and we wanted to substitute the two Scottish races with two  200 \ 250 not a lot to ask for to as our distance members were  having to toss birds with the Aberdeen and  Angus fed to get longer time on the wing  we never had to do that before in my life time in the fed  he then told me the distance fanciers should GET A TRAILER AND GO IT ON OUR OWN """"" [  RED RAG TO A BULL CROSSED MY MIND ] 

Next day Mr Birnie phoned and asked the same question  and HE TOLD ME THE EXACT THING  it was then I knew I had to do something as the President and his team were not listening 

Gogs it widely mentioned here that its was Going to be the Worst thing that could have ever happened for Actually Racing up here was these Lads being at helm !! Jesus how true that has been !! If some Fanciers dont want to Race and test they’re RACING pigeons for what ever reason (some clouds) that’s entirely up to them its they’re birds at end of day and if they want to keep them for looking at in Winter so be it but it shouldn’t stop others who want to Race from doing so which has been the case last few seasons !! Suggesting Distance minded lads in fed get a trailer is Unbelievable and shocking to hear ?? Question- Who birds do they want most for fed sales ?? Correct Guys who do well in Distance National flying ! Hypothetical to say the least coming from lads that widna know a good Doo if it flew into they’re Face !! 

The Fed is the Fed  and the Nationals is the National they are 2 different organisations, if you want to fly in both then that is your choice. The Fed race program should not be made to suit training for Nationals because not everyone flies Nationals. The Fed program is for the Fed and what the Fed members vote on. If you want to fly with the Fed you have to train your birds if you want to fly Nationals then again it is up to you to train your birds. So that part of your statement is irrelevant to the issue of holding an AGM

Don't see why we can't have a race programme to suit both start a week or 2 earlier or drop 1 or 2 scottish race points basically training tosses anyways. Personally I wasn't bothered about a postal vote and filled in my form to say I was happy with one but with all the the carry on there seems to be and bitterness from either side there probably needs to be a meeting to get everything out in the open. 

Thanks for your interest but we are not asking for a national program  my club send the highest birdage in the fed over the season  and  fly the full federation program that is usually  voted on and decided at the normal face to face AGM .  The present system set by Mr Birnies  team is self appointed and not a program the members voted for  that is part of the problem  hence the need for an AGM to get things back on track 

1 hour ago, gordon wilson said:

Thanks for your interest but we are not asking for a national program  my club send the highest birdage in the fed over the season  and  fly the full federation program that is usually  voted on and decided at the normal face to face AGM .  The present system set by Mr Birnies  team is self appointed and not a program the members voted for  that is part of the problem  hence the need for an AGM to get things back on track 

Gordon,at our last AGM even although there were four or five programmes on the agenda we were informed that the only programme to be voted on was the race committee one ,I am a committee member and if any other member knew that this was to be the case I wish they could have told me !! Somehow from  somewhere and without it ever being voted for, the committee gained more power than even our council has had in my 40 years on it,in fact for the first time ever we did not even vote against the status quo.

We have had race prevention,moving onto meeting prevention,never send emails with questions they don't get answered,don't phone and ask questions before you post your vote cos you get refused an answer and lastly don't ever change your email address if your not in the gang!!!out with the covid affected and very difficult old bird season last year we have missed 6/43 races,almost one in seven and have not completed any of the other two old bird or any of the three young bird seasons ,NOT what I pay my money for and it is my right as a member to have a face to face AGM to discuss our thoughts and if all procedures are followed that will do me !!!

Im no longer a fed member but feel after 17 year as a member I can at least give an opinion,

Myself and 23 other federation members in 2020 decided not to rejoin or fly with the North fed due to the fact that we had no confidence in the officials ability to make the best decisions regarding racing ie, cancelled or delayed races for no good reason, race programs being cut short giving no real distance over 300mile (2 consecutive seasons) the inability to give straight answers when concerns were raised, just to name a few!

We felt our only option at the time was to form our own club and carry out what the officials of the North fed couldnt or wasnt! In doing this we were blackened and treated as if we had turned our back on the fed, Pressure was also put on members from certain clubs not to join as in joining would have also meant they too were turning they're back on the fed with hints of not being aloud back in! when in reality many fanciers fly in multiple clubs/feds all over the country without problem or the fear in doing so by officials!

Its embarrassing to say the least that the men in charge won't give up there positions when the majority want them to!

If current fed officials won't resign after the majority of fed members have voiced there concerns then the members could and should take matters into there own hands where starting a petition for a vote of no confidence could be done and sent to shu for further action!

You’ve got my resignation guys, hopefully you all have your hands up for the position (snowflakes chance in hell) if you get your face to face meeting. Having never missed sending to a federation race since my first full season in 2002 and donated more birds to fed sales than I can remember, held position of senior vice president, junior Vice President and P.R.O. with my only agenda being to better our fed and get racing to the south coast. Good to know there are lots looking to take on the positions. For me now i will concentrate on racing my doos and will not attend any other fed AGM or sale. 
anybody who wants to speak to me about it don’t waste your time trying to contact me as I will not respond…

yours in sport 

Stuart Maskame

2 hours ago, Blue Tooner said:

You’ve got my resignation guys, hopefully you all have your hands up for the position (snowflakes chance in hell) if you get your face to face meeting. Having never missed sending to a federation race since my first full season in 2002 and donated more birds to fed sales than I can remember, held position of senior vice president, junior Vice President and P.R.O. with my only agenda being to better our fed and get racing to the south coast. Good to know there are lots looking to take on the positions. For me now i will concentrate on racing my doos and will not attend any other fed AGM or sale. 
anybody who wants to speak to me about it don’t waste your time trying to contact me as I will not respond…

yours in sport 

Stuart Maskame

without a doubt one of the best and most genuine guys i have ever met in my life feels he has to resign because of the comments made by so called friends of his is just so sad.no matter what you said of him he never spoke ill of you

It's a sad day when members have to feel about leaving a federation or club but sadly that's pigeon racing which isn't right imo to many clowns wae big mouths that's ruining the sport wee love especially when some new fanciers are doing extremely well in last couple of years and not the same ones at the top every year as ones say imo ther has to be change at all levels and ones  have to accept the change even most clubs members don't get get on that's a fact our sport is getting ruined by ourselves not bops weather etc