Have Some Time On My Hands

walterboswell59

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've some memory Walter I can't remember watching still game on Friday night expletive remove keep them coming mate :animatedpigeons:

this was all stuff we would tell each other and discuss in the railway club back then joe with a great bunch of guys the clubs long gone now and most of my old pals have past on and the ones that are left like me look as if there ready you join them lol but it was the place to be for a young guy with a burning hunger to ask and learn from good fanciers as for the memory i forget what happened yesterday but you always remember your good times and good doos as there few and far between pal bet you can remember what you were doing when you won the two races on the trot lol

Good read Walter, made me get my old books out when you mentioned Fechan Lass, I bought a lovely Dk. Pied cock from Louella son of Fechan Producer who was a full brother to Lass, this was 1974 or 75. The hen I bought at the same time was a g/daughter of Grizelda, the only grizzle I've ever bought in, I've lived here 30yrs and not club raced in that time, the 30 birds I brought with me, and decendents, have been on open loft the whole time, they now are 22 birds and 9 of them are grizzles so with the never ending hammering they take from BOP, when one moves on another quickly replaces it, the old Kirkpatricks seem tough birds

lovely looking pigeons bill and hardy buggers to m8

i had a good youngbird season that year to winning 4 or 5 youngbird races and youngbird average and scored in the youngbird national so i was happy i was improving it was now december and i was looking forward to sending a couple of decent birds to the goldcup as i had also timed a red hen a broken pigeon from the fed sartilly race at 10 20 at night my first time getting a bird from across the channel on the shift so things were looking up vince or john mcfall phoned to ask if i wanted to go to wee show and i went to the loft to pick some birds out to my horror the red grizzel hen the dam of the white hen was on the floor staggering about i picked her up and she was skin and bone what to do and what was wrong checked her mouth it was not canker so i was baffled she was a prisoner so could not have picked something up outside as i had mouse poison under the loft in those days i did not treat for anything and i mean nothing so had nothing to hand but i did not know the problem away then i remembered someone had given me half a bottle of harkers coxcoid it had been on a shelf for about two years and i had never used it but i had to try something my best breeding hen was dying in front of me i opened the bottle and filled the cap with the liquid opened her beak and pored it down her throat and sat her in the empty youngbird section she could not even stand so sat her in a box with some straw and went off to the show it was vince now i think of it as i remember telling him about it does not sound to good he said on getting home from the show it was late pitch black and i was half p d so i left the birds in the porch and went to bed next morning i went to the loft fearing the worst and to my amazement the red grizzel hen was sitting on a perch i could not believe it and in two or three weeks was back to normal and that was a cure i used many times after that and it worked my then father inlaw was also a doo man just a wee team man but had scored a couple of times in the national but had done nothing for a few years so i lent him the black pied cock and red grizzel hen my best breeders for a few nests meanwhile i had picked four races for the white hen before going to the gold cup the last one being 250 miles hoping to get her about 8 hours on the wing on the last one before the gold cup then a few tosses and a open bowl for the last few days before basketing she had never had a youngster before so the plan was to have her chipping or a small youngster now it was the day of basketing for the first race the white hen had 4 20 mile tosses and the race was 60 miles i filled out the pool sheet making her all pools why you may ask well if your paying attention you will have noticed that that the three times the white hen won a prize it was a north west wind she was libbed in and that was the forcast for the first race i had figured it would be a slow race with a low velocity and thats when distance birds can pop up and i was right the winners were taking two and a half hours she was my timer 3rd club but taking the pools that will do for me lol cant feed them on tickets she then went to 120 miles then 180 miles and into the 250 mile race being my 5th bird and 7 and a half hours on the wing got her sat down perfect would be chipping or on a day old chick on basketing for the gold cup everything going to plan vince john feenie and big chad had offered to give the birds a few tosses fron annan 60 miles and gretna about 80 miles the week before the gold cup feenies good hen strathclyde lass was going for her gold award that year to having scored four times already so all to play for the two 60 mile tosses went well the birds taking about one and a half hours each time then big chad took them to gretna for the last toss and phoned me to tell he had libbed them but said the white hen did not go with the rest of the birds and headed off on her own my house was in hillhouse hamilton at that time and so called because the house sat at the top of a hill that could see right over the clyde valley i climbed up on to my porch roof and sat and watched for my three birds it was a clear blue sky and i could see for miles it was almost two and a half hours since they were let go and it was getting near panick time when something caught my eye away in the distance i thought it was a plastic poke that the wind had caught it looked miles high as the shape lowered i could see it was my white hen wings shut dropping like a stone from a great height f k i thought she will never be able to stop in time she is going to crash right into the loft in the last split second she opened her wings touched the board and in f k me i thought this birds got to score that was the best trap ive ever seen in my life even to this day it took my breath away the red hen was about twenty mins behind her and my old cheq pied cock 20 mins after the red hen well she is deff fit i thought to myself they all are but that hens got something about her for the next four days they were on open bowl the night before basketing i went into the loft about 8 oclock to have a wee handle at them first the old cheq pied cock 5 years old been across 3 times walked it three times but was in good order then the red hen she had scored in fed sartilly the year before and was sitting 16 days i knew she could do just under the 500 miles but can she do 550 i was into darkening down the nest boxes maybe 5 or 6 days before i wanted a hen to try and had a board over the front of the box to darken it so they can hide i took off the board at the front of the white hens box and there she was perfect shinning head down low in the bowl her eyes bright and popping out her head like a blacky on a nest the last time i seen a bird in this condition was when the red scored in sartilly eyes starring feathers tight as a drum wings like coiled springs they were so tight and body corky light as a feather skin clear and pink this hen is ready i thought her eggs chipping under her im putting my shirt on her i cant be wrong this time this bird has done everything i have asked of her shes bred for it and i have done my bit in getting her head right and her body in peak condition the pools are in the bank i thought lol next morning day of basketing for the gold cup open the loft door the white hens on a perch and so is her cock but he has blood all over his eyes and head what the f k i take off the board from there box and disaster theres a yearling cock in the box covered in blood and the two chicks have been trampled to death i grabbed the yearling and threw him in the other section i was frantic what can i do i thought a youngster i need a youngster to try and get them back down i look in every nest box but not one i try a pair of warm eggs and lock her in the box but she would not sit them i try the cock nor would he all my work and planning up in the air i tried phoning a few guys to get a wee youngster but could not get hold of anyone half an hour had past which felt like hours the eggs were now cold and the pair did not want to know then it came to me a trick i used in the past a blackbird had nested in my garden next to the loft for a few years and i had once took a small chick out to slip under a hen i was trying with is she in young i thought i put my hand in the nest yes youngsters but there big maybe a week old maybe to big but i need to try i darkened down the nest box again and put the young blacky in the bowl and sat the hen on top and held her there till she felt it move and she sat on it thank f k i thought next thing the young blacky starts chirping like f k the hen gets a fright and jumps off the nest s t i ran to the house and got tape and taped its beak shut and held the hen on top of it again yes it worked she sat by this time it was after noon and i let her sit the young blacky till 5 oclock at least i can still send her but ill switch the big pools onto the red hen as my confidence had gone after this set back so thats how she went to the gold cup sitting a 7 day old blacky it had taken the shine off the race for me the birds were libbed from rennes gold cup at 6 in the morning and guess what the wind was yes a north west so a real hard one was expected my pal and work m8 john mcfall phoned me that night to tell me there were birds in the boarders that night but were very scares john was a man id learned a lot from over the years and had some great national results under his belt and had some class pigeons at the race his dedication and work ethic was second to none and a guy i greatly respected and still do i thanked john for letting me know what was happening and he said he would phone me in the morning if he heard anything so im up at 4 the second morning and i can see nothing for a thick blanket of mist but still i waited i was supposed to be working that morning at six but i phoned my gaffer and asked for a holiday no chance he said you can come in late but you must come in ok i said john phoned back about 7 to tell me he had spoken to one of the guys at the scottish boarder 60 miles away and the guy told him you have no chance getting birds through down there the mist is like pea soup in the hills here an hour later john phoned again to tell me he had just timed in his good blue cock that had scored for him a few times well done i said theres plenty time yet he said im well in but my heart was sinking and really had to go to work i phoned my young brother who was 12 or thirteen at the time and asked him to come up and time in for me whit fur he said ye never git wan that realy cheered me up just come up and wait a few hours and ill give you a fiver on friday i ok he came up at half eight i showed him what to do as he had never timed a pigeon in and shot off to work with him shouting am no sitting here aw day i got into work dead on 9 oclock and went into the office to thank the foreman for letting me come in late thats ok he said did ye get yer doo no i said walking to the door as his phone rang as i went out the office the foreman shouted me back walter the phone for ye who is it i said taking the phone off him dont know he said just asked for you hello i said a just timed wan it was my wee brother yer kidding i said no 3 mins to 9 the red hen i said naw a white one ya f n dancer i shouted the foreman started laughing take it ye got one yip i said i was like a dog with two tails well get out there and work cheers i said i think i floated over to my job happy as a pig in s t lol she was 64th section 184th open with over six thousand birds at the race and 180 pounds in pools which was good money back then id realised a dream and scored in the gold cup against the best birds in scotland not at the top but i was in there it was a good start for a novice mean while her sister the dark grizzel i gave jock stirling was making a name for herself to scoring in a few nationals and breeding birds to score in the national she was named amazing grace and john hunter may be able to tell us what that hen done and bred theres just a wee bit more to end this story but my eyes are now blurring so it will keep till tomorrow night hope you guys enjoy this as much as i did telling you about the white hen

i had a good youngbird season that year to winning 4 or 5 youngbird races and youngbird average and scored in the youngbird national so i was happy i was improving it was now december and i was looking forward to sending a couple of decent birds to the goldcup as i had also timed a red hen a broken pigeon from the fed sartilly race at 10 20 at night my first time getting a bird from across the channel on the shift so things were looking up vince or john mcfall phoned to ask if i wanted to go to wee show and i went to the loft to pick some birds out to my horror the red grizzel hen the dam of the white hen was on the floor staggering about i picked her up and she was skin and bone what to do and what was wrong checked her mouth it was not canker so i was baffled she was a prisoner so could not have picked something up outside as i had mouse poison under the loft in those days i did not treat for anything and i mean nothing so had nothing to hand but i did not know the problem away then i remembered someone had given me half a bottle of harkers coxcoid it had been on a shelf for about two years and i had never used it but i had to try something my best breeding hen was dying in front of me i opened the bottle and filled the cap with the liquid opened her beak and pored it down her throat and sat her in the empty youngbird section she could not even stand so sat her in a box with some straw and went off to the show it was vince now i think of it as i remember telling him about it does not sound to good he said on getting home from the show it was late pitch black and i was half p d so i left the birds in the porch and went to bed next morning i went to the loft fearing the worst and to my amazement the red grizzel hen was sitting on a perch i could not believe it and in two or three weeks was back to normal and that was a cure i used many times after that and it worked my then father inlaw was also a doo man just a wee team man but had scored a couple of times in the national but had done nothing for a few years so i lent him the black pied cock and red grizzel hen my best breeders for a few nests meanwhile i had picked four races for the white hen before going to the gold cup the last one being 250 miles hoping to get her about 8 hours on the wing on the last one before the gold cup then a few tosses and a open bowl for the last few days before basketing she had never had a youngster before so the plan was to have her chipping or a small youngster now it was the day of basketing for the first race the white hen had 4 20 mile tosses and the race was 60 miles i filled out the pool sheet making her all pools why you may ask well if your paying attention you will have noticed that that the three times the white hen won a prize it was a north west wind she was libbed in and that was the forcast for the first race i had figured it would be a slow race with a low velocity and thats when distance birds can pop up and i was right the winners were taking two and a half hours she was my timer 3rd club but taking the pools that will do for me lol cant feed them on tickets she then went to 120 miles then 180 miles and into the 250 mile race being my 5th bird and 7 and a half hours on the wing got her sat down perfect would be chipping or on a day old chick on basketing for the gold cup everything going to plan vince john feenie and big chad had offered to give the birds a few tosses fron annan 60 miles and gretna about 80 miles the week before the gold cup feenies good hen strathclyde lass was going for her gold award that year to having scored four times already so all to play for the two 60 mile tosses went well the birds taking about one and a half hours each time then big chad took them to gretna for the last toss and phoned me to tell he had libbed them but said the white hen did not go with the rest of the birds and headed off on her own my house was in hillhouse hamilton at that time and so called because the house sat at the top of a hill that could see right over the clyde valley i climbed up on to my porch roof and sat and watched for my three birds it was a clear blue sky and i could see for miles it was almost two and a half hours since they were let go and it was getting near panick time when something caught my eye away in the distance i thought it was a plastic poke that the wind had caught it looked miles high as the shape lowered i could see it was my white hen wings shut dropping like a stone from a great height f k i thought she will never be able to stop in time she is going to crash right into the loft in the last split second she opened her wings touched the board and in f k me i thought this birds got to score that was the best trap ive ever seen in my life even to this day it took my breath away the red hen was about twenty mins behind her and my old cheq pied cock 20 mins after the red hen well she is deff fit i thought to myself they all are but that hens got something about her for the next four days they were on open bowl the night before basketing i went into the loft about 8 oclock to have a wee handle at them first the old cheq pied cock 5 years old been across 3 times walked it three times but was in good order then the red hen she had scored in fed sartilly the year before and was sitting 16 days i knew she could do just under the 500 miles but can she do 550 i was into darkening down the nest boxes maybe 5 or 6 days before i wanted a hen to try and had a board over the front of the box to darken it so they can hide i took off the board at the front of the white hens box and there she was perfect shinning head down low in the bowl her eyes bright and popping out her head like a blacky on a nest the last time i seen a bird in this condition was when the red scored in sartilly eyes starring feathers tight as a drum wings like coiled springs they were so tight and body corky light as a feather skin clear and pink this hen is ready i thought her eggs chipping under her im putting my shirt on her i cant be wrong this time this bird has done everything i have asked of her shes bred for it and i have done my bit in getting her head right and her body in peak condition the pools are in the bank i thought lol next morning day of basketing for the gold cup open the loft door the white hens on a perch and so is her cock but he has blood all over his eyes and head what the f k i take off the board from there box and disaster theres a yearling cock in the box covered in blood and the two chicks have been trampled to death i grabbed the yearling and threw him in the other section i was frantic what can i do i thought a youngster i need a youngster to try and get them back down i look in every nest box but not one i try a pair of warm eggs and lock her in the box but she would not sit them i try the cock nor would he all my work and planning up in the air i tried phoning a few guys to get a wee youngster but could not get hold of anyone half an hour had past which felt like hours the eggs were now cold and the pair did not want to know then it came to me a trick i used in the past a blackbird had nested in my garden next to the loft for a few years and i had once took a small chick out to slip under a hen i was trying with is she in young i thought i put my hand in the nest yes youngsters but there big maybe a week old maybe to big but i need to try i darkened down the nest box again and put the young blacky in the bowl and sat the hen on top and held her there till she felt it move and she sat on it thank f k i thought next thing the young blacky starts chirping like f k the hen gets a fright and jumps off the nest s t i ran to the house and got tape and taped its beak shut and held the hen on top of it again yes it worked she sat by this time it was after noon and i let her sit the young blacky till 5 oclock at least i can still send her but ill switch the big pools onto the red hen as my confidence had gone after this set back so thats how she went to the gold cup sitting a 7 day old blacky it had taken the shine off the race for me the birds were libbed from rennes gold cup at 6 in the morning and guess what the wind was yes a north west so a real hard one was expected my pal and work m8 john mcfall phoned me that night to tell me there were birds in the boarders that night but were very scares john was a man id learned a lot from over the years and had some great national results under his belt and had some class pigeons at the race his dedication and work ethic was second to none and a guy i greatly respected and still do i thanked john for letting me know what was happening and he said he would phone me in the morning if he heard anything so im up at 4 the second morning and i can see nothing for a thick blanket of mist but still i waited i was supposed to be working that morning at six but i phoned my gaffer and asked for a holiday no chance he said you can come in late but you must come in ok i said john phoned back about 7 to tell me he had spoken to one of the guys at the scottish boarder 60 miles away and the guy told him you have no chance getting birds through down there the mist is like pea soup in the hills here an hour later john phoned again to tell me he had just timed in his good blue cock that had scored for him a few times well done i said theres plenty time yet he said im well in but my heart was sinking and really had to go to work i phoned my young brother who was 12 or thirteen at the time and asked him to come up and time in for me whit fur he said ye never git wan that realy cheered me up just come up and wait a few hours and ill give you a fiver on friday i ok he came up at half eight i showed him what to do as he had never timed a pigeon in and shot off to work with him shouting am no sitting here aw day i got into work dead on 9 oclock and went into the office to thank the foreman for letting me come in late thats ok he said did ye get yer doo no i said walking to the door as his phone rang as i went out the office the foreman shouted me back walter the phone for ye who is it i said taking the phone off him dont know he said just asked for you hello i said a just timed wan it was my wee brother yer kidding i said no 3 mins to 9 the red hen i said naw a white one ya f n dancer i shouted the foreman started laughing take it ye got one yip i said i was like a dog with two tails well get out there and work cheers i said i think i floated over to my job happy as a pig in s t lol she was 64th section 184th open with over six thousand birds at the race and 180 pounds in pools which was good money back then id realised a dream and scored in the gold cup against the best birds in scotland not at the top but i was in there it was a good start for a novice mean while her sister the dark grizzel i gave jock stirling was making a name for herself to scoring in a few nationals and breeding birds to score in the national she was named amazing grace and john hunter may be able to tell us what that hen done and bred theres just a wee bit more to end this story but my eyes are now blurring so it will keep till tomorrow night hope you guys enjoy this as much as i did telling you about the white hen

ps tomorrow ill tell how i became eddie newcome for a night all 100 percent true i swear on the mother inlaws life