Have Some Time On My Hands

walterboswell59

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i went to the railway club that night and the guys fairly lifted me with the well dones and hand shakes and i was pleased to hear that john feenie had timed his good hen two hours after me to win her gold award a guy called john holland had been joining our our wee gang of drinking buddies and had also started the doos up i had known johns family for years and had grown up across the road from his mum and dad there were 7 brothers all big wild guys and all fighting men john was the second oldest i think and about 18 years older than me he remembered me as a kid going to his mums house at halloween and his mother bringing me in to sing al jolson songs for her when i was only 5or6 years old john had been a soldier most of his life and finished his career as a sargent major he was a terrible man for jokes and stunts but was a real good guy and became a good friend and a regular in our company he will come into the story later we had a good blether about how the race had panned out and how hard it was cant remember the other guys returns but i only got the one and my thoughts were how do these guys that are on the result year after year do it and i had also noticed these same top men were not sending 2or3 like most of us but had baskets of 12 15 or more greatly increasing there chances how do you even have that amount of 2and3 year old left after racing them out as youngbirds and out to the coast as yearlings what was there secret apart from having distance families in the first place how do you build a team to have that amount of birds to compete myself and vince had been trying to build a team for years with no sucess it would take me a many years to work this out and when i did i could not believe how simple it was i worked it out by watching the coalburn guys the hot bed of distance races in lanarkshire at one time i dont think you go into a loft in coalburn or lesmhagow that had not scored in a national as well as the some as the best distance flyers in scotland with names like the harrisons grey and mitchell billy davison john cosgrove kerr stainthorpe walter ma gaffney and many others on the result year after year what was there secret then i figured out there is no secret what these guy have that we dont is no one they all have long distance families no two there is no big fancy prizes or big pool money in there club so there is no temptation to keep sending them out every race to win something like we do because theres nothing to win and 3rd you cant train a pigeon to fly 500 and 600 miles its in them or its not they have birds so one or two races as youngster the same as a yearling and the same as a two year old then train them and into the national 10 to 12 races from a young bird to a two year old where my birds were racing about 18 races by the time they were yearlings once you have the distance birds they dont need to prove it to the day of the national they already have it bred in them and more times you race them the more chances you have of losing them they have to be treated differently from your club and fed birds and much more patience is required with distance birds to build a team its all about getting them to the race then you fined the good ones hold them back they dont need it the white hen also taught me that only one race as a yb 3 or 4 as a yearling and the same as a two yearold and into the national if you want to play at club and fed you get other birds to do that and thats how you build a team ready to go to nationals and thats why my white hen scored and most of her brothers and sisters were gone they went everyweek to every race they were bred the same but the white hen had been lightly raced and was still there to compete and thats the basic secret of long distance racing but again you must have the birds to start with so i had it all figured out i had a pair that could breed them and now i had worked out how to work them sweet naw my father inlaw whom i had lent the black pied cock and red grizzel hen to for a few nests to help him out phoned walter did those birds get home what birds i said the pair you lent me i opened the wrong trap and the pair shot out f k i said they were prisoners and i had never even tried to break them im so sorry he said not much i can do about it the guys i bought the cock from had packed in after one them had past away and at that time i did not even know who donated the red grizzel hen till davie hannah told me some years later i never saw them again i was sick but i still had the white hen two sisters and one brother one of the sisters was latebred so i kept her for the stock loft and by then i had a few distance birds from john feenie which should make a good cross i thought we were just into the new year now and big chad big holland and john feenie asked me if i fancied going to the blackpool show id never been and heard so much about it ok i said ill take my car so off the four of us went on the friday morning we go t to our hotel quick wash up and changed and down to the bar which was very busy so we went into a small lounge of the bar as i said earlyer big holland was always at the p*ss taking and would set you up in a minute if you did not have your wits about you anyway the wee lounge had lots of small pictures hanging on the wall and holland was walking right up to each picture with a pigeon eye glass and studying each one very intently the hotel manger was behind the bar watching him while filling our pints he shouted over to holland i see you like our pictures sir are you a collector no holland said im a thief the guy never took his eyes off him the full three days we were there and followed him everywhere lol well that was the start of it down our pints and off on a pub crawl first place we went was the cliffton hotel not to many in but we were early holland takes the order and goes to the bar the young english barmaid was very chatty are you guys here for the pigeon show yes holland replies where you from says the barmaid scotland says holland oh yes said the barmaid and what do you do up there she said we dive for muffs holland says we are muff divers i nearly fell off the seat with laughter and barmaid did not have clue so much so that she shouts through to the barmaid in the lounge marion come and meet the scottish lads there all muff divers the place erupted with laughter and the other barmaid came through and told her what a muff diver was her face was scarlet holland was on a roll and i was lapping it up after a long hard season it was great to unwind and have a laugh and holland had me in stitches and almost got me stitches later that night he could fight like f k but i was better at running lol a few drinks later and we ended up in some workmans club it was jumping and we just managed to get the four of us on the end of a large table with about twelve big welsh guys you will notice i use the word big a lot but im only five foot six so most are big to me lol anyway they go for the seats and i go to the bar and the banter is flowing between holland and the welsh guys and im just in ear shot so who did best in the big national between you guys the welsh guy says that man up at the bar says holland and whats his name the guy said as the rest had already been introduced that our eddy i hear holland say eddy newcome eddy newcombe the big welsh guy say id love to meet him what a doo man he is the word travels round all the welsh boys thats the great eddy newcombe ya bassa holland i said to myself yer nuts i go back to the table with the drinks sit here eddy no sit down here eddy they were on me like a rash and we never bought a drink all night when any of us tried to go to the bar it was is that for eddy ill get it i leaned over to holland and whispered when these guys twig we are going to get killed they were on me one by one for youngsters and i was fobbing them off so far but i was getting deeper and deeper in and c p g myself incase they found out meanwhile hollands winding them up eddy will see you alright guys hes a great guy i was getting asked for my phone no or address so they could contact me for youngbirds and was getting backed into a corner so when asked to breed anyone a youngster i would say no problem just give me your name and address on a piece of paper and ill send them to you as i got more of the jungle judce in me the fear of being found out left me and i gave away about about two dozen of eddies best youngbirds at the end of the night we were all pissed and my pocket was full of wee bits of paper with welsh addresses on them lol i always wondered if eddy newcombe had got lots off phone calls from welshmen the folowing year hello eddy its ivor here its about those youngbirds you promised me at blackpool lol tomorrow ill tell you how the white hen did as a three year old and why i fell out with the gold cup race for almost 30 years

maybe she would do even better as a 3 year old and i had it all figured out you get the distance family and train and race them lightly right up to the 2 year old stage pair them late end of march try to get an 8 hour race about the 250 get them down the way they like it by watching when they are at there keenest a few tosses a few days rest and into the national easy i had spent a bit of money and had brought in some pigeons from davie donaldson of glassford a wee team man in a bad location with fantastic results and i now had the best of feenie birds from john i also had a pair off jimmy muir of tarbrax gold award winner and pair off his 1st section nates thanks to john mcfall and the latebred sister of the white hen was producing good pigeon crossed with a feenie cock with one off them winning from a hard race from the coast and scoring well in the fed and now i was taking it easy with them i was starting to bring through a decent wee team of wellbred distance birds and was also becoming quite good at spotting when my birds were in form and picking up good pools in club and fed and found out to my cost i could do it with other peoples birds to when i opened my big mouth at an open race i was race marking at it was a fed open race and the birds were marked at larkhall club and i was asked to give a hand i had put through about two or three hundred birds when one of my own club mates young sam rodgers came to the table with a basket of 30 to 40 birds and i started putting them through for him he handed me the second last pigeon in his basket as soon as i got the bird in my hand i knew it was different and said to sam thats the best conditioned pigeon ive put through tonight sam do you think so he said its done nothing well its in super nick i said so sam told the club sec to make the bird all pools im sure the race was the yearling derby 250 miles but it was an any age race but old birds could not compete in the derby next day the birds are up at 6 or 7 i had been kidding the life out a cock and it was all pools and i timed it phoned 2 or 3 pals to fined i was the best time and looking good to win the race and take the pools i went to the checking to fined im winning the race only one clock to come sam roger and yes he just pipped me winning the race and taking all pools with the bird i told him about you were right he said came like a rocket so im calling it watties rocket bassa that will learn me to keep my gub shut lol my national birds were at the same race and came well about 7 hours on the wing the i had 10 that were ear marked for the gold cup but dropped one in the race which left me 9 my findings were working and all was going to plan to send a good team to the gold cup i looked back my book and set every bird down the way it had showed to be most keen or hens chipping or a yb up to 4 days old cocks sitting 8 day eggs or with a big youngster or with a big youngster and just starting to look at the hen most would have there second flight just bursting through or would throw it in the basket the white hen would be on a two day old youngbird her own this time she was looking great i had rested them and was now training the week before the race four tosses of forty miles dropping two of the 9 it was now 4 days to basketing i had 7 of the best birds i ever had and in super condition but most important bred for the job 4 days on open bowl and im in with a real chance of being well in i was patting myself on the back the right birds the right planning the right training and the birds in the right condition what could go wrong lol i was heading for a fall that i did not see coming and could not control you see i forgot that once you send them you are in the hands of other people and the weather and humans make mistakes the birds should never have been libbed the race was a f k g disaster i never seen one of those birds again all the work all the time and planning the money spent the years it took to bring a wee team of distance birds through all gone and nothing i could have done to change it once they go you are in the hands of the gods i was sick angry despondent i went to the railway club that night no one had timed a bird john feenie could see i was taking it bad walter he said thats why for years i did not go farther than the fed avranches the gold cup is the graveyard of champions son and there and then i decided i was not going to throw away my best birds ever again and did not go back to the gold cup for almost 30 years i stuck to our fed coast race sartilly and falaise for my distance races and had good sucess being 2nd section 4th open one year sending only one bird and winning over 500 pounds and again sent only one the following year to 4th section 5th open and over 500 pounds i could have sent more birds to both these races but both times i thought the bird was right and that nothing else in my loft could beat them so why send them was my thought i may just have been lucky but i did not think so thus my love affair with the gold cup ended and i turned my thoughts to getting some sprint pigeons to play with in club and fed and to win money as i loved being able to set birds up and have a gamble on them and the gold cup had knocked the heart out of me and my white hen maybe next week or so ill tell you how i got on with the sprinters and the winning big money plan if you like guys i hope some of you will have found something in my story to give you food for thought and enjoy reading the writings an ravings of an old fart thankyou for all the nice comments they kept me going when the eyes were getting sore and the finger was getting numb take care now