Buster Wants To Win.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve, out of interest what are your club results like, ie, how many do you send and what does the club send?

I send between 12 and 15 depends on hens if ready to lay, club is between 200/300 and Im usually bottom of sheet most weeks, its a bit strange as I give all other members overfly yet the birds always come from over there way

Well done mate on being honest about your performance s not a lot would be ,

You will get lots of good info on here but for me pick one member and ask him to mentor you through the season and do exactly as they say .

For me it is simply your system ! Natural is great for over 400 mls but in a competitive club that are flying widowhood you had very little chance , I am never in the hunt in my club but do a lot better in the nats when we get farther out in distance but still don't like being at the bottom of the sheet but have made my choice of race I want to win.

Best of luck and enjoy your pigeons

its a bit strange as I give all other members overfly yet the birds always come from over there way

That can happen with young birds as they're reluctant to pull out of the drag. Do they do the same when you put them on the training truck?

Your old birds should come on a more direct line, if not it tells me they lack urgency.

Well done mate on being honest about your performance s not a lot would be ,

You will get lots of good info on here but for me pick one member and ask him to mentor you through the season and do exactly as they say .

For me it is simply your system ! Natural is great for over 400 mls but in a competitive club that are flying widowhood you had very little chance , I am never in the hunt in my club but do a lot better in the nats when we get farther out in distance but still don't like being at the bottom of the sheet but have made my choice of race I want to win.

Best of luck and enjoy your pigeons

Good post!!!

I expect Wiley or Tony C would be the best. They will have an idea regarding the sprint scene down there and are at the top of their game in the London area. :)

That can happen with young birds as they're reluctant to pull out of the drag. Do they do the same when you put them on the training truck?

Your old birds should come on a more direct line, if not it tells me they lack urgency.

Its the way they all come, everybodys seem to come the same way, thats how I know they get theres first,

the only time mine are up is when theres East in the wind

can you explain this a bit more for please

3)the right feeding. Feed light, by that I mean a mix without peas/maples/beans.

I'll give my tuppence worth but by no means am I the most qualified on here if qualified at all

First of all I don't think your pigeons are racing they are homing. This can be helped with motivation and routine... As your pigeons are in the habit of not competing you need to brainwash them next year and treat them a bit like young birds.

When training put the measured amount for all pigeons that are away training in the trough waiting for them on return....they should all be home together or within a few minutes of each other from a training van (if training on your own they should arrive together every time... Do not feed any pigeon that arrives late they need to burst their a.rse to get home they soon learn to fly the quickest possible route...

Feeding I would not give them any protein after Sunday night Monday evening if it's been a hard race..... Do not let them out on a Sunday let them rest (all races) On return from Saturday's race give them something easy digestible then Saturday night fill the trough with beans and leave in until Sunday night or Monday if a tough race... One ounce of Gerry plus Mon to Wednesday Can break it into 2 feeds if you like If you did I'd give 2/3rds pm Thursday morning 1/3rd Gerry Thursday night feed them add lib of a high energy mix

Friday morning again feed add lib...when I say morning I'm at the lofts for the sun coming up....they shouldn't eat too much....and leave alone until basketting

Edited to add: Common sense must be used if it's a tough race give em more proteing If it's a blaw hame for 80 miles Saturday night would be more than enough

Also if you don't get rid off the damp floor your farting against thunder

I'll give my tuppence worth but by no means am I the most qualified on here if qualified at all

First of all I don't think your pigeons are racing they are homing. This can be helped with motivation and routine... As your pigeons are in the habit of not competing you need to brainwash them next year and treat them a bit like young birds.

When training put the measured amount for all pigeons that are away training in the trough waiting for them on return....they should all be home together or within a few minutes of each other from a training van (if training on your own they should arrive together every time... Do not feed any pigeon that arrives late they need to burst their a.rse to get home they soon learn to fly the quickest possible route...

Feeding I would not give them any protein after Sunday night Monday evening if it's been a hard race..... Do not let them out on a Sunday let them rest (all races) On return from Saturday's race give them something easy digestible then Saturday night fill the trough with beans and leave in until Sunday night or Monday if a tough race... One ounce of Gerry plus Mon to Wednesday Can break it into 2 feeds if you like If you did I'd give 2/3rds pm Thursday morning 1/3rd Gerry Thursday night feed them add lib of a high energy mix

Friday morning again feed add lib...when I say morning I'm at the lofts for the sun coming up....they shouldn't eat too much....and leave alone until basketting

Edited to add: Common sense must be used if it's a tough race give em more proteing If it's a blaw hame for 80 miles Saturday night would be more than enough

Also if you don't get rid off the damp floor your farting against thunder

Well I am a wee bit experienced lol and you have just saved me typing my tuppence worth Geo, ill endorse everything you have said m8. :emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0137-clapping: The only thing is, if you want them at the distance races ( up here anyway ) you cant be as strict with the feed early on in the year.

Well I am a wee bit experienced lol and you have just saved me typing my tuppence worth Geo, ill endorse everything you have said m8. :emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0137-clapping: The only thing is, if you want them at the distance races ( up here anyway ) you cant be as strict with the feed early on in the year.

I must be learning then mate if a fancier or your calibre agrees with me :emoticon-0140-rofl: :emoticon-0140-rofl: :emoticon-0167-beer: :emoticon-0167-beer: :emoticon-0167-beer: :emoticon-0167-beer: :emoticon-0167-beer:

Guest johnhunter

George you keep using that word SHOULD as in they should all come home together from training , all you hear now is the birds being scattered by percy so you are misleading the guy about them all coming home together,there is not many comes home together now and as far as leaving the troughs full of feed overnight that is a no no especially with vermin about

George you keep using that word SHOULD as in they should all come home together from training , all you hear now is the birds being scattered by percy so you are misleading the guy about them all coming home together,there is not many comes home together now and as far as leaving the troughs full of feed overnight that is a no no especially with vermin about

Obviously you will get bad tosses and you should use common sense when that happens....

With the feed I would say take it out overnight sorry for not mentioning that I just thought that was commonsense

Had a wee read through and it's going the way most of these things do, with so many different contributors with different winning methods it becomes very confusing for novices or anyone wishing to learn something. That's why I'd say Eastcoaster's advice is sound. Find one or two people you can speak with regularly. Visit them, look at their lofts and their relationship with the pigeons, ask them things, phone them weekly or daily to the point of annoyance :emoticon-0136-giggle: and start to think and act like them in your loft. Once you are up and running with more experience you can add your own intricacies and ideas.

One thing that stood out to me was the twice a week on the training van, midweek race and weekend race. Is that four times a week your birds are in with other peoples?

This could be one of the factors that contribute to them constantly coming the wrong way. Top sprint fanciers who send with training vans are a minority from what I can see.

Your pigeons unless schooled the best you can before going in these vans will learn nothing but bad habits. They can be out of the loft for hours at a time in the process causing unnecessary stress(particularly for natural pigeons), this combined with mixing with birds from so many different lofts regularly is inviting illness into your loft.

This is just an opinion and by no means fact :emoticon-0136-giggle:

I know in most areas in England the birds DO all come together from training.Although their will always be the percy bust up to contend with at times but not to the extreme we get up here imo.

Guest johnhunter

Obviously you will get bad tosses and you should use common sense when that happens....

With the feed I would say take it out overnight sorry for not mentioning that I just thought that was commonsense

you said fill the troughs up Saturday night and leave till sunday or even Monday, commonsence

Just re reading through and noticed I put loft as South/East it is actually South/West facing

steve if possible i would face my loft so its not facing into the prevailing wind second i would cut my birds back too many for one loft 20 old birds and 20 young birds are plenty for your loft.i fly natural and win the sprint races so it can be done iam also the shortest flyer in my club so dont worry bout that if you get the numbers rite the feeds easy.i would not train my birds just flag them at home

Guest johnhunter

Instead of trying to pick holes in what I have said why not offer advice yourself?

George It is there in black and white, you meant what you said , to be quite honest I could not give the guy,any better advice than you are giving him ,you are far more experienced than me after all you are in the pigeon game all those years

George It is there in black and white, you meant what you said , to be quite honest I could not give the guy,any better advice than you are giving him ,you are far more experienced than me after all you are in the pigeon game all those years

Tbf I could leave food in my loft for a month and no vermin would be in at it as it's secure..i'd also say I'm a new fancier too only racing 3 full seasons only trying to help out

Hi steve

It's not the fancier,it's the way lofts are designed

I could cringe at loft designs seen at shows etc,They can look very modern in design to the purchaser but fail in the basics ,ie they let in water

The loft in the photo for example t&g boarding up to window height then the window is inset apart from sealant there is nothing stopping water ingress ,there should be a cill fitted at this point whether in upvc or timber dependent on finish

If the doors were offset on construction this could be overcome very easily

They usually build lofts with thin softwoods boarding which gives up its purpose very easily

I have built many lofts for national and double national winners and not one of them have asked for vents at low level

All other points have been well covered regarding overfeeding and overtraining

Best shortcut to success is purchase and read Dave allen s Widowhood Year

And get the loft Dry (which he States clearly )

Atb Mick

steve if possible i would face my loft so its not facing into the prevailing wind second i would cut my birds back too many for one loft 20 old birds and 20 young birds are plenty for your loft.i fly natural and win the sprint races so it can be done iam also the shortest flyer in my club so dont worry bout that if you get the numbers rite the feeds easy.i would not train my birds just flag them at home

Ye we have a member in our club that turns up and wins short stuff with his natural team on occasion. Its easier to have yer best away every week on widowhood or its like. Buster might be in a club like mine where it's very competitive and a few of the fanciers always take cards but never get right up at the short stuff. That all changes when distance comes in . These are national winners and experienced fanciers so might not be much wrong with Buster151' method just good fanciers and a wee tweek here and there

Guest johnhunter

Well done Geordie trying to help another fancier. Just noticed Mr J is not in pigeon club at the moment . But if he could explain to buster how he dominated his last club I'm sure it would be very much appreciated :smiling-scarecrow-329:

[/