Pigeon Poo As Fert

blue bar

We personally don't, but we drop ours off at someone's allotment and he uses them on his vegetable patch. We get a few carrier bags of veg and rhubarb as thanks throughout the year and they are very tasty.

I don't know if he uses them straightaway or stores them in a compost heap.

My brother uses mine. He says it is an excellent accelerant for the compost. He has three compost bins. As one is used, the next is turned over and so with the third one, then he starts again. I know he uses horse manure as well and sometimes he gets cow dung too. I don't think he puts any of them straight onto the ground, but I shall soon find out because the boy is wanting to start a vegetable patch like his uncle. :)

We personally don't, but we drop ours off at someone's allotment and he uses them on his vegetable patch. We get a few carrier bags of veg and rhubarb as thanks throughout the year and they are very tasty.

I don't know if he uses them straightaway or stores them in a compost heap.

Same here Sue, I have a mate who manages an allotment and he also uses it on the vegetables. I also heard it is very good on rose bushes.

Absolutely the best. Once had many asking for it ... But expected my to save and store it!

Now I have a good friend who is a Vegan, and has a large Garden. I bag it up as and when and drop it off. He starts spreading it October.

This allows the rain etc. to wash it through. Placed directly against the roots is not good as it will burn.

He is quite knowledgeable in this regards and will gladly take the deep litter too.

A. Keeps the soil warm in cold nights, and then rots and gets wash through. This also makes good fertiliser.

Off course at one time the Scots used to burn it.... then rub the ashes into a bald head. Supposedly to make the hair re grow. True! :emoticon-0140-rofl: :emoticon-0140-rofl:

Rarely put out in bin . Mostly all in the Borders of the garden . Forked in to the soil. Everything grows great with it . Especially plants who like acidic soil . Once dry it used to produce silk Peter. A power used in explosives and cigarettes.

There use to be an old fella across the road from me, I gave him bags for his tomatoes in the green house, oh, they was the best home grown I have ever tasted. :)

The grass around my aviary is dark green after coming out the hut, just goes to show that there is a lot of goodness in the pigeon muck.

True Hillstreetblues48

3 miles from me there is a Dove Cote of gigantic proportions.

At least 25 foot high and 30 x 25 square In fact there are two joined together. of same sizes.

Only way in each side, for humans, is one little square door ... like the bottom half of a Stable door. Just a few narrow slits - like the Norman's arrow slits for the doves / fantails etc. to enter.

Built about 2 and a half foot wide walling. Nest boxes.

There have protruding blocks standing out about 9 inches. The nest boxes are aside of theses being behind other big blocks. I'd say these nest boxes measure about 18 inches long. 9 inches wide and high.

Literally 100's.

No water and very little sunlight - just through the few slits (About 6.).

It is dark and the youngsters are reared of course in the dark.

No means of water of course.

These(This) was built for the lord of the manor to furnish his workers with a few eggs, of pigeon pie.

Youngster when out side would join the old birds at drink from a stream.

It is truly a remarkable and great place to visit.

• 1 month later...

I also think people make what they call a tea from water and manure is put into a cloth I suppose similar to tea bag and the water is used as a manure suppose to be great for gardens

thats an old tip JAM . i had an Uncle used to scoop the horse manure up when the horse had past the house. straight into the watering can . he used to use Aunties old tights over the end of the can . the rose of the can would clog up (hence the tights) :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Does anyone use pigeon poo as fert for the garden and fruit trees ??

When working for C.J.Williams all the droppings were put in a separate manure pile from the previous year and the previous years pile was spread over the flower beds in November. They were award winning gardens and the only fertiliser they received.

My flower bed once it has died back is covered with a Bale of straw then all the droppings are placed on top which when rain or snow arrives it washes through and not only fertilises but stops the Tubers and Bulbs getting frosted and the straw is only lifted off after the Spring Daffodils have withered, My Agapanthas last year had 80 heads on each and the Plate Dahlias had 9 ins heads. Best fertiliser going and cheapest.. If you wish to water vegetables then half fill a 40 gallon open drum with droppings and top up with water, Replace water removed with fresh or if you are up in Scotia you wont have to as it rains damn near every day..