Snfc Race Points

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The primary reason for the change from Friday to Saturday was for the birds' benefit. As most organisations liberate Saturday, there are lots more birds crossing the channel on Saturday which it was felt would give our birds a bit more confidence to 'go for it'.

Small size of convoy on channel races has become an issue. SNRPC asked us to go with them to the Longest Race in 2014, but the offer was declined purely on grounds of size of the combuined convoy ... it was considered bordering on cruelty to liberate that size of convoy 600 miles from home. Our counter-offer was for both of us to go with MNFC to Ancenis, one transporter taking the Scots contingent to meet the MNFC transporter.

Not sure I agree with the 'negativity' in it though.

It's a shame that some members are being put off voting for the programme they consider to be the best-due to these Saturday libs.

Would it be possible to vote for the committee's recommended programme with the Alencon and Clermont intended libs altered to be a Friday?

The vote is for a full programme, not bits of it. The first vote will be Committee vs Member proposal; the next the winner of the first vote vs Status Quo (2013 programme, which has Ypres and Ancenis on same weekend).

The primary reason for the change from Friday to Saturday was for the birds' benefit. As most organisations liberate Saturday, there are lots more birds crossing the channel on Saturday which it was felt would give our birds a bit more confidence to 'go for it'.

Small size of convoy on channel races has become an issue. SNRPC asked us to go with them to the Longest Race in 2014, but the offer was declined purely on grounds of size of the combuined convoy ... it was considered bordering on cruelty to liberate that size of convoy 600 miles from home. Our counter-offer was for both of us to go with MNFC to Ancenis, one transporter taking the Scots contingent to meet the MNFC transporter.

ian do you mean you wouldn't like to liberate a small convoy from 600 miles? the snrpc went to troyes this year with 62? and had a very good race? the year before they went with the UNC and only got 3 home in race time so your point on bordering on cruelty is wrong?

The inference buried in this post does no favours at all to the pigeon fancy. Single or double birds were liberated from distance and in horrific conditions during the war. Resulting in over thirty dickin medals and the saving of a good number of our troops. Now a barbed comment about bordering on cruely aimed straight between the eyes of the SNRPC is used as an excuse for not having the bottle to have a go and at the same time kill any move towards some kind of joint racing in Scotland. I wonder how long this post will last.

I don't think liberating with the mnfc is a great advantage. On a good day a small convoy at 600 miles will cope fine. If they are up with 5000 mnfc birds they could end up having to do 300 miles single up. Its a shame they cant modify the dates at the meeting. My preference is status quo but with Ypres and Ancenis a week apart

ian do you mean you wouldn't like to liberate a small convoy from 600 miles? the snrpc went to troyes this year with 62? and had a very good race? the year before they went with the UNC and only got 3 home in race time so your point on bordering on cruelty is wrong?

Not all agreed with the thinking behind it - that's the negative bit I was talking about, it's like saying 'we think today's birds aren't as good as those in the old days, and need a helping hand up the road'. Not sure who the fancier was that said he liked sending to Troyes because it was like a single toss from 600 miles ... but IMO that's the right thinking, and a sign of the calibre of pigeon man & pigeon that I'd like to be / own.

thought it was up to memebers to decide in joint convoying,also would think that this was a step in the right direction in getting the two back together it seems as if committe members have their own agendas concerning this

Sammy, Ancenis was suggested as a compromise, AND if SNRPC were going to Ypres, we also offered to take the Scottish contingent AND put all the birds up together.

Why does the management want to move Ypres to the 12Th July on not the 6th July14 which would give them more birdage from the Lanarkshire.

There has been comments on how quickly the channel programme goes by and that's not helped by having 2 races on same weekend, so this was seen as a step in the right direction. There are also a number of organisations going to Ypres this year to take part in a memorial race in the centenary year of the start of World War 1. First weekend in July is the traditional 'Gold Cup' races for English & Irish National Clubs so unlikely they could go to Ypres on that weekend. Us going on 12th helps us get as big a liberation as possible at Ypres to honour the fallen, the the pigeon men and pigeons of NPS, and the fanciers of long ago who donated their birds to the war effort .... Far bigger than Lanarkshire & National.

There has been comments on how quickly the channel programme goes by and that's not helped by having 2 races on same weekend, so this was seen as a step in the right direction. There are also a number of organisations going to Ypres this year to take part in a memorial race in the centenary year of the start of World War 1. First weekend in July is the traditional 'Gold Cup' races for English & Irish National Clubs so unlikely they could go to Ypres on that weekend. Us going on 12th helps us get as big a liberation as possible at Ypres to honour the fallen, the the pigeon men and pigeons of NPS, and the fanciers of long ago who donated their birds to the war effort .... Far bigger than Lanarkshire & National.

Thanks for your response, forthe records the Snfc Gold cup race is always the last weekend in June and can you confirm what actual date the Memorial Race will be held.

And if we don't go on the 12th to honour the fallen this is one guy who will never race again,its not much to ask us Scots to help when you think what the people of Ypres have done for our brave relations,last year I was under the impression wee had already gave our word that wee would be there,correct me if I am wrong.

And if we don't go on the 12th to honour the fallen this is one guy who will never race again,its not much to ask us Scots to help when you think what the people of Ypres have done for our brave relations,last year I was under the impression wee had already gave our word that wee would be there,correct me if I am wrong.

Sorry should be (we).

The Ypres memorial race should be the 12th July after the longest race as it was ONCE before then changed. This is a free weekend so why not?

Billericay sounds good and a return to Eastbourne also JMO.

Would I be correct Ian that our birds would be simultaneously liberated with English, Welsh and Irish convoys ?.

If so I can foresee a disaster occurring.

There is no firm arrangement at present and I do not have information on all the organisations that have expressed interest, or their intended date (s). There are lots of ways to handle it - that still needs to be discussed.

Thanks for your response, forthe records the Snfc Gold cup race is always the last weekend in June and can you confirm what actual date the Memorial Race will be held.

Andy, our Gold Cup race is not affected by the Ypres race, I only made mention that the first Saturday in July is when other Organisations traditionally hold their premier 500 mile race, and they would be unlikely to send to both that and Ypres on the same weekend.

We hope the memorial race will be held on 12th, but that has still to be confirmed. There could be a liberation of Britain-bound pigeons from Ypres on every Saturday in July; but what we want to achieve is one massive liberation on the same Saturday in July - in bands or waves if need be - and create an annual British Race from there as a lasting memorial.