Snfc Race Points

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YPRES World War 1 MEMORIAL RACE 2014

T HE SCOTTISH NATIONAL FLYING CLUB ( SNFC ) HAVE BEEN ASKED BY THE TOWNSPEOPLE OF IEPER ( YPRES ) BELGIUM TO ORGANISE A COMMEMORATIVE RACE FROM THEIR TOWN TO MARK THE CENTENARY OF THE START OF WORLD WAR 1. THE 3 BATTLES OF YPRES WHICH INCLUDED PASSCHENDALE WERE FIERCE, INTENSE AND VITAL STRATEGIC BATTLES BY THE ALLIES TO SECURE THE HIGHER GROUND AREAS AROUND YPRES THAT CONTROLLED THE ROUTES AND SUPPLY LINES TO THE BATTLE FIELD AND THE CHANNEL PORTS. MORE THAN 300,000 BRITISH AND COMMONWEALTH SOLDIERS WERE KILLED IN THE CONFLICT.

The SNFC has forged a strong relationship with Ypres – a British& Commonwealth War Cemetery town and the site of the famous Menin Gate War Memorial. The Ypres race has already been well established in our annual race programme since the 5th of July 2008, and has proved to be an excellent race point. There is no limit on the numbers of pigeons that can be liberated at any one time and at 402 mls to Eyemouth in the south east of Scotland and 420 mls to Stranraer in the south west of Scotland, it is a one day race. You are also assured of a very warm welcome by the officials and members of the town.

The history of the bond between pigeons and man has already been well documented. “No other bird has had such a great link with man, nor been so useful to him in so many ways … The pigeon’s record as messengers in time of war is a moving and little known epic. Scattered references describe the many feats of bravery and endurance which were performed by these brave birds…†( The Pigeon in History by Jean Hansell, 1998, Millstream Books )

During the second battle of Ypres ( 1915 ) pigeons carried reports from the front line to Brigade HQ. Two pigeon Corps were established and by the end of the year there were 15 pigeon stations on the Western Front each with a pigeon fancier handler and 4 pigeons. They were so successful with a 95% message delivery rate in the heat of battle that many more pigeons were added to the service. At the outbreak of WW1 the British, unlike its European Allies, had no established military pigeon lofts. By the end of the WW1 British pigeon fanciers had given 100,000 racing pigeons to the war effort. ( At the outbreak of WW2, despite improved telecommunications, thousands of pigeons were also given by British pigeon fanciers to the National Pigeon Service, and during that war 32 racing pigeons won the Dickin Medal, the animal equivalent of the Victoria Cross, more than any other animal group.

Philip Noakes Director Northern Europe Area of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission ( CWGC ) said to us in Ypres in 2008 that he hoped we would continue to pay honour to our War Dead and make the race an annual event. This has been achieved. Our hope is that by 2014 – the 100TH anniversary of World War 1 – many thousands of the “Doves of Peace†from all parts of the British Isles will be liberated in the skies of Ypres in tribute to our War Dead. This echoes Churchill’s sentiments after the Great War:-

“I should like us to acquire the whole of the ruins of Ypres… A more sacred place for the British race does not exist in the worldâ€. Speech, Winston Churchill, Minister of War, January 1919, recorded in Flanders Fields Museum Ypres.

Although the UK did not declare war on Germany until the 4th August 1914, the official outbreak took place on the 28th July 1914. Since all the countries involved in World War 1 plan to commemorate the 4th August 1914 with memorial centenary celebrations at the Menin Gate in Ypres on the 4th August 2014 only the first three Saturdays in July 2014 namely the 5th, 12th or 19th appear to be suitable for a mass liberation at these times. The worlds media will also be present in the weeks leading up to the memorial centenary celebrations so such a race is an ideal opportunity to showcase homing pigeons and pigeon racing as a fundamental part of our heritage and a cultural tradition enjoyed by many that knows no age, gender , race or social barriers. Such a race will reconnect the past with the present making more people aware of the role pigeons and pigeon fanciers played during both World wars, the true identity and character of the pigeons housed in the many pigeon lofts throughout Britain and the fanciers who keep and tend to them all year round. It will be a testimony to the fact that the sport of pigeon racing is still alive and active.

Pigeons are essentially symbols of peace and liberating many thousands of racing pigeons at Ypres at this time would be a fitting memorial and a memorable sight. Our objective is to encourage as many pigeon organizations as possible to participate in a memorial race tribute by our “doves of peace†to all who lost their lives in WW1 especially the thousands of British and Commonwealth soldiers in the terrible battles which occurred around Ypres. By liberating as many “doves of peace†as we can, we also pay tribute to and identify with our forebears - those many British fanciers who donated their best pigeons to the war effort 100 years ago.

Our contact and friend in Ypres is a successful and highly respected business man in the town of Ypres namely Stefan Van Moerbeke. Stefan is a pigeon fancier and also a race controller and has been an outstanding asset in the success of our races from Ypres .He has the total support of the council and Authorities in Ypres for the memorial race. Stefan’s contact details can be acquired via our secretary Andrew Garven tel. no. 01236 830253

Scottish National Flying Club Sub Committee for the Memorial Ypres Race 2014 Dr PP Lynch chair, Ian Brown John Houston

SNFC WORLD WAR 1 MEMORIAL AND WREATH LAYING VISIT AT THE MENIN GATE YPRES JULY 2014

Everyone will appreciate the importance of having all the arrangements in place early. At this stage, the plan is to travel by coach from Central Scotland on Thursday 24th July 2014 to Hull ( approx. 3.5 hrs ) for the ferry crossing to Zeebrugge arriving Friday the 25th July. We will then travel by coach from Zeebrugge to Ypres ( approx. 1.5 hrs ) and book into our hotel the ARIANE in the centre of Ypres for our 3 day Bed/Breakfast accommodation.

Saturday and Sunday we will visit the war graves. At the request of the citizens of Ypres a memorial wreath will be laid by the President of the SNFC at the official wreath laying and memorial service at 8 pm on the Sunday night at the world famous Menin Gate Memorial Monument in Ypres. On Monday morning we return home.

We have booked 19 twin rooms and 2 single rooms at the ARIANE HOTEL . The tariff is 119 Euros per twin room per night i.e. 357 Euros per twin room for 3 nights – B/B. - N.B. Some of our rooms have already been booked, fanciers are advised to book with us early. The terms of our booking are : -

1)- Deposit to book - £50 per person.

2) - 25% of total cost to be paid 3 months before the event. i.e. before 24th April 2014

3) -100% in full 14 days before departure. i.e. before 10th July 2014

Coach and Ferry costs to be added in due course later

SNFC - SUB COMMITTEE - YPRES Memorial Race/visit Dr PP Lynch chair, Ian Brown John Houston

Is the above. copy pasted from the snfc website, the invitation or was there another invitation sent out in a letter? I do not see the word invitation or anything suggesting an invitation within this article. It maybe that I do not fully grasp the content. If so I apologise for my limitations.

My apology, I thought this was a post confirming what I had said earlier about the Notice in BHW and RP. I've just re-read it and realise there was a question tagged on to the end of the Notices which I missed first time round. So here is my reply:-

There are a number of elements in there, and I've highlighted the race element in blue. As I have stated previously there has been expressions of interest to the contact number, but I do not have the full list. The Notice in the Press was seen as the best way of contacting the largest audience quickly. No individual invitation letters have gone out, but correspondence has passed between SNRPC and SNFC that I understand includes invitation to joint convoy, and I have contacted SNRPC members in my own club on it, and was told SNRPC committee member was aware of the race.

Ian

As a British citizen and proud Scot I am truly appreciative of the sacrifices made by our soldiers and fore fathers during WW1 and fully support the concept of a commemorative race to mark the centenary of this terrible conflict, I also support the actions of the SNFC as far as attending the memorial ceremony and the laying of a wreath at the Menin Gate during July 2014.

However, as a pigeon fancier I am not keen on single mass liberation of pigeons at Ypres on either July 5th or 12th 2014 as IMHO this is a recipe for a disaster and could be counter productive as far SNFC entries are concerned. Obviously at this stage I have no idea of the organisations who would like to be involved but if these were to include entries from Southern England, Northern England, Wales , Ireland, and Scotland then I can just imagine the chaos and confusion that this would create with all of these birds trying to clear and then break in different directions, it would also be a race controllers nightmare trying to get a favourable weather forecast and liberation to suit all the participating organisations, as I understand it their could also be planned TV coverage of this which only brings additional pressure to get the birds liberated, in support of this you only have to look at what happened at the RPRA centenary race in 1997 where only a few thousand birds returned from approx 60 thousand and it was cited that the decision to liberate was heavily influenced by the fact that TV crews were about to withdraw because a liberation on the scheduled day at the planned time could not be effected, a monumental disaster where many champion pigeons never returned and from which many lofts took years to recover. Having considered this my view is that by all means let organisations have their commemorative races from Ypres but a single mass liberation should not be on the agenda for this event.

Whilst we are on the subject of pigeons , doves, and olive branches being symbols of peace, then in relation to asking the SNRPC to participate in this event my thoughts are that the SNFC should , formally, in writing, ask them if they wish to participate as part of any Scottish contingent taking part in this proposed race, now that would be a fine gesture of goodwill and could be instrumental in a truce being called between both clubs. JMOHO.

Davie

Before we went to Press we realised the need for flexibility, and that is why most Saturdays in July were made available for liberations at Ypres. So a 'mass liberation' of thousands of pigeons going home to every part of Britain as a simultaneous liberation isn't the only Option. The site is massive and can hold dozens of transporters and can liberate any number of pigeons at one time. Another Option is the same 'mass liberation' but in waves or bands, grouped depending upon where in Britain the birds are going. Yet another Option is weekly liberations during the month of July. Flexibility and Options to offer organisations multiple choices for staging a race.

Jim Jenner has been informed and will be in Europe during July. His diary was free when I contacted him. So we won't be going to suit the Media - they are there for the Centenary. We have the opportunity to showcase British pigeons and Organisations in front of them.

There has been correspondence on joint convoying between the two clubs. Hopefully positive things will come out of it.

Ian

As a British citizen and proud Scot I am truly appreciative of the sacrifices made by our soldiers and fore fathers during WW1 and fully support the concept of a commemorative race to mark the centenary of this terrible conflict, I also support the actions of the SNFC as far as attending the memorial ceremony and the laying of a wreath at the Menin Gate during July 2014.

However, as a pigeon fancier I am not keen on single mass liberation of pigeons at Ypres on either July 5th or 12th 2014 as IMHO this is a recipe for a disaster and could be counter productive as far SNFC entries are concerned. Obviously at this stage I have no idea of the organisations who would like to be involved but if these were to include entries from Southern England, Northern England, Wales , Ireland, and Scotland then I can just imagine the chaos and confusion that this would create with all of these birds trying to clear and then break in different directions, it would also be a race controllers nightmare trying to get a favourable weather forecast and liberation to suit all the participating organisations, as I understand it their could also be planned TV coverage of this which only brings additional pressure to get the birds liberated, in support of this you only have to look at what happened at the RPRA centenary race in 1997 where only a few thousand birds returned from approx 60 thousand and it was cited that the decision to liberate was heavily influenced by the fact that TV crews were about to withdraw because a liberation on the scheduled day at the planned time could not be effected, a monumental disaster where many champion pigeons never returned and from which many lofts took years to recover. Having considered this my view is that by all means let organisations have their commemorative races from Ypres but a single mass liberation should not be on the agenda for this event.

Whilst we are on the subject of pigeons , doves, and olive branches being symbols of peace, then in relation to asking the SNRPC to participate in this event my thoughts are that the SNFC should , formally, in writing, ask them if they wish to participate as part of any Scottish contingent taking part in this proposed race, now that would be a fine gesture of goodwill and could be instrumental in a truce being called between both clubs. JMOHO.

Davie

Before we went to Press we realised the need for flexibility, and that is why most Saturdays in July were made available for liberations at Ypres. So a 'mass liberation' of thousands of pigeons going home to every part of Britain as a simultaneous liberation isn't the only Option. The site is massive and can hold dozens of transporters and can liberate any number of pigeons at one time. Another Option is the same 'mass liberation' but in waves or bands, grouped depending upon where in Britain the birds are going. Yet another Option is weekly liberations during the month of July. Flexibility and Options to offer organisations multiple choices for staging a race.

Jim Jenner has been informed and will be in Europe during July. His diary was free when I contacted him. So we won't be going to suit the Media - they are there for the Centenary. We have the opportunity to showcase British pigeons and Organisations in front of them.

There has been correspondence on joint convoying between the two clubs. Hopefully positive things will come out of it.

Ian

Thanks for the reply, glad to see that their are options with regards how the birds should be liberated, I assume that this will not be a committee decision and that the members will have an input at the AGM as to what they deem to be the most suitable option. Also glad to hear that we won't be under pressure from the media to effect a liberation to suit them, having previously worked in television production industry for 20 years I know how good they are at applying pressure to get what they want.

With regards dialogue between the SNFC and SNRPC I really hope this is not just in relation the longest race as IMO this should be developed and encouraged wherever possible.

Davie

Ian

Thanks for the reply, glad to see that their are options with regards how the birds should be liberated, I assume that this will not be a committee decision and that the members will have an input at the AGM as to what they deem to be the most suitable option. Also glad to hear that we won't be under pressure from the media to effect a liberation to suit them, having previously worked in television production industry for 20 years I know how good they are at applying pressure to get what they want.

With regards dialogue between the SNFC and SNRPC I really hope this is not just in relation the longest race as IMO this should be developed and encouraged wherever possible.

Davie

IMO the real controlling factors for the race will be exactly the same as on any other race day, but unlike many other liberation points, there will be a person in overall charge at Ypres, Stefaan, who is the contact for all organisations wishing to go. He will be aware of their individual wants, but we will all need to remain flexible with our wish lists given that any liberation will literally bring Ypres to a stand (and that in itself guarantees media attention) when we must behave in a way that gets us away quickly, and in a manner that shows the Fancy in the best possible light.

As far as I am aware, current dialogue between the SNFC and SNRPC is in relation to joint convoying on the longest race and Ypres. IMO especially as regards Ypres, arriving there in separate camps (or not going at all) would not be in Scotland's best interests, given that it was the Scots that were invited to organise this race, and I hope that all the Scottish Feds participate, and go with both National Clubs to this race in a joint convoy. If the rest of Britain behaves that way, then that shows the Fancy in the best possible light, and shows the world it is alive and well. What better advert for British pigeons and pigeon fanciers than that?

And if we can all pull together in 2014 then we can do the same in the following years.

While I agree that a harmonious approach to the Ypres race would be beneficial I also feel that joint convoying to the longest race is every bit as important. Not to try and kid the rest of the world on that the fancy is alive and well but to bring a bit of cohesion and sense to the doo game. The idea that the illusion we need to create is to placate the onlookers IMO only furthers the continued massive rift between the two factions in Scottish doo racing. We should not be making decisions solely to make ourselves look good in the eyes of others. We should be making them based on a genuine effort to pull ourselves back together.

]

While I agree that a harmonious approach to the Ypres race would be beneficial I also feel that joint convoying to the longest race is every bit as important. Not to try and kid the rest of the world on that the fancy is alive and well but to bring a bit of cohesion and sense to the doo game. The idea that the illusion we need to create is to placate the onlookers IMO only furthers the continued massive rift between the two factions in Scottish doo racing. We should not be making decisions solely to make ourselves look good in the eyes of others. We should be making them based on a genuine effort to pull ourselves back together.

]

..such a race is an ideal opportunity to showcase homing pigeons and pigeon racing as a fundamental part of our heritage and a cultural tradition enjoyed by many that knows no age, gender , race or social barriers. Such a race will reconnect the past with the present making more people aware of the role pigeons and pigeon fanciers played during both World wars, the true identity and character of the pigeons housed in the many pigeon lofts throughout Britain and the fanciers who keep and tend to them all year round. It will be a testimony to the fact that the sport of pigeon racing is still alive and active.

Pigeons are essentially symbols of peace and liberating many thousands of racing pigeons at Ypres at this time would be a fitting memorial and a memorable sight. Our objective is to encourage as many pigeon organizations as possible to participate in a memorial race tribute by our “doves of peace†to all who lost their lives in WW1 especially the thousands of British and Commonwealth soldiers in the terrible battles which occurred around Ypres. By liberating as many “doves of peace†as we can, we also pay tribute to and identify with our forebears - those many British fanciers who donated their best pigeons to the war effort 100 years ago.

As I said before, the Notice contained many elements, and peace and harmony within the British Fancy is a major one. It says the sport is alive and active, which is true, but nobody could truthfully claim the sport is alive and well. There are those who say that pigeon racing is dead and will be gone in a few years time, and each gives a different reason for the demise. IMO the biggest threat to pigeon racing comes from within, yes, ourselves - the splits & disharmony caused by pigeon people who cannot agree to disagree amongst themselves - yet we are the first to rally and come together for worthy outside causes, for example charity. Change doesn’t come easily in pigeons but I wonder what would have happened all those years ago when pigeons were needed for the War Effort if the same sort of mentality prevailed amongst pigeon fanciers then as today – Well I / We won’t be donating if so-and-so is; I’m not sending pigeons there if they are; I’m not going on that date; Our race programme is already set, etc.

There has to be a healing process and that has to start sometime sooner than later. Ypres race gives everyone an ideal opportunity to work together, in some cases perhaps for the very first time. If we can do that just once, despite our differences, then we take a huge step forward together. As far as the SNFC Longest Race is concerned, our AGM falls later this month and the Agenda shows that this Race Point has still to be decided.

• 3 months later...

Stuart, you are absolutely correct, the split within the SNFC was the biggest disaster that has ever happened to the Scottish fancy, the sport is in severe decline and on a downward spiral which will only get worse as age reduces the number of fanciers participating, as far as I'm concerned all the old vendettas and agendas should be buried in an effort to save what we have left, for me, any opportunity should be grasped that could result in the two national clubs getting back together, personally I would be perfectly happy to go to Troyes with the SNRPC in either a joint convoying exercise or to compete in a single race.

Even though I am not overly keen on the concept of an " international " I would like to know if the SNRPC have been invited to compete at this proposed Ypres " international " race ??

A Notice was put in both BHW & RP of the request from the people of Ypres that SNFC organise a memorial race in 2014, together with all the reasons for going there (WW1). The Notice featured prominently in the Memorial pages of both papers in Nov 13, and was an invitation to all Organisations in Britain to put Ypres on their race calender for July 2014. Several have expressed interest, including those all along our borders, and in Wales, but I do not have full details at present.

So yes, SNRPC has been invited, as have all the Scottish Federations that don't normally go to Ypres.

It was felt the quickest way to get it up and running in 2014 was for each organisation to organise its own race - open only to its own members. So only members of SNFC will compete in SNFC Ypres Race, but that doesn't stop us joint convoying with anyone else that wants to go, e.g. Federations like Lanarkshire or Cumbria or UNC who go there to compete in their own race, but as a joint liberation Commemorative race.

Ian

Davie

I agree with you davie , I've been saying this since it was first mentioned , I for one won't send if it's a mass liberation of birds from all parts of the uk , I'm not throwing good pigeons away .

Ian

Davie

IMO the real controlling factors for the race will be exactly the same as on any other race day, but unlike many other liberation points, there will be a person in overall charge at Ypres, Stefaan, who is the contact for all organisations wishing to go. He will be aware of their individual wants, but we will all need to remain flexible with our wish lists given that any liberation will literally bring Ypres to a stand (and that in itself guarantees media attention) when we must behave in a way that gets us away quickly, and in a manner that shows the Fancy in the best possible light.

As far as I am aware, current dialogue between the SNFC and SNRPC is in relation to joint convoying on the longest race and Ypres. IMO especially as regards Ypres, arriving there in separate camps (or not going at all) would not be in Scotland's best interests, given that it was the Scots that were invited to organise this race, and I hope that all the Scottish Feds participate, and go with both National Clubs to this race in a joint convoy. If the rest of Britain behaves that way, then that shows the Fancy in the best possible light, and shows the world it is alive and well. What better advert for British pigeons and pigeon fanciers than that?

And if we can all pull together in 2014 then we can do the same in the following years.

I note an article / advertisement in the BHW dated March 28th where the SNFC are inviting all UK organisations to compete in this planned commemorative race on July 5th, not withstanding that the UNC and NEHU will not be their until July 19th the article states , joint convoying facilities are offered to all racing pigeon clubs and organisations by the above titled clubs on the above stated dates, whilst I don't have any real issues with this it then goes on to state that, [ convoyed pigeons can be liberated along with the convoying organisation or at a separate time from them on the day of liberation, WHICHEVER IS PREFERRED]

As per previous posts on this thread and assuming that any non Scottish organisation may wish to convoy with the SNFC on July 5th, then my view on this is that a decision has been taken on how the members of the SNFC pigeons are to treated where preference will be given to that organisation on how their birds will be liberated which may not be in the best interests of the SNFC convoy and which the members at large May not agree with , JMO

I would also be interested to know if any formal discussions took place with the SNRPC regards a single race / joint convoying to Ypres and Ancenis, perhaps one of the committee members on here could advise on the above.

Again my comments above are as a pigeon fancier and are made with all due respect to people of Ypres and the British servicemen and women who sacrificed their lives during WW1

Del

If you read the article in the BHW then it looks like some decisions have already been made regards liberations where any convoyed organisation can chose whether they are liberated separately or with the convoying organisation.

I am not in favour of joint liberation with another organisation if all of the birds are not all heading in the same general direction and I am also against separate liberation of birds out of the same / single transporter.

Del

If you read the article in the BHW then it looks like some decisions have already been made regards liberations where any convoyed organisation can chose whether they are liberated separately or with the convoying organisation.

I am not in favour of joint liberation with another organisation if all of the birds are not all heading in the same general direction and I am also against separate liberation of birds out of the same / single transporter.

I agree with you Davie, maybe someone that's still on the committee from last year can enlighten us on anything that was discussed and decided by the committee about YPRES before this years agm.

I agree with you Davie, maybe someone that's still on the committee from last year can enlighten us on anything that was discussed and decided by the committee about YPRES before this years agm.

Hope so, we will wait and see, watch this space !!!

Hope so, we will wait and see, watch this space !!!

Hey Del

Still watching this space , Looks like nobody wants to fill us in on what was discussed or agreed, either that or they don't know or it's a secret !!!

Del

I'm with you on that davie , I will not send if there are others going up with us traveling in a different direction , this has been a fantastic race since it's inception , why change it or take a chance and spoil it . Madness IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Del

Still watching this space , Looks like nobody wants to fill us in on what was discussed or agreed, either that or they don't know or it's a secret !!!

still watching this space, as I said earlier regards the Ypres race, either it's a secret or the committee were not involved in the discussions relating to the arrangements for this " International " race.

Sorry Davie, Im not a committee member anymore, im sure someone will fill ye in with info :emoticon-0138-thinking:

Heard that tonight Del and from what I know think you got a raw deal, good job I'm not holding my breath waiting for answer about the Ypres race.

Sorry Davie, Im not a committee member anymore, im sure someone will fill ye in with info :emoticon-0138-thinking:

Hi

Really sorry to here that for if one person I trusted

to be honest with the membership was you Derek

But its your decision ATB

Cheers

Homer 49

Guest bigda

have you given up your post del, sad to here if that is the case. racing from ypres had some thing to do with other country's racing into Belgium and Germany in that month, and i am sure the Germans will be over the moon with British birds heading for the coast or crossing there flight path, we should not be getting tied up with NEW dates, as we the lanarkshire have committed ourself to go every year, a early or late lib, its in the birds best interest that is the issue here, not the war dead, they know we are there for the right reason as this will be our 4th year honouring the Hero's MOST PEOPLE WILL BE GETTING up tight about there been 2 races on the same day and most believe they should be all at ypres instead. to show support but for me we will be there as we voted for the day the nat goes but that will not be the case if the date is changed without a EGM

WE ARE NOT RUINING ON OUR UPPERS AS YET, SO WE CAN GO IT ALONE IF A VOTE IS TAKEN.

Edited by bigda

Guest Gareth Rankin

Hey Del

Liberation will only be the SNFC convoy with 30 pigeons from a club around Carlisle.

Liberation will only be the SNFC convoy with 30 pigeons from a club around Carlisle.

Gareth

Thanks for the update, hate to say this but I'm glad no one else has decided to go with the SNFC to Ypres, or next to no one, would have liked to see the SNRPC going with them but from what I've heard that would appear to have been a non starter.