Feeding for Racing

Guest Paulo

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its only opinions,,,and , as with pigeons theres many,, most fanciers will feed differently , there are races and races ,, all different , even at the distance ,,if  i  could  forecast the weather about 6 weeks b4 the big one  ;D ;D ;D , would have a better idea on  what, and how much to feed , ;D ;D ;D but im afraid this would be impossible , in my opinion , for what its worth, i would feed a high protein diet for the longer harder races ,with some carbohydrates nearer to basketing time ,but the pigeons would have to  work hard nearer to the race , and be started later in the season,,

i knew a fancier that fed one particular bird peanuts [nothing else ;D] 4 weeks b4 the biggy,, this bird scored on many occasions [in hard races], this was the only bird he did this with, but the bird had a one hundred mile toss every second day for three weeks!!!, then a weeks rest [think it deserved it ;D] i wouldnt advocate this,, but this fancier new this bird , and it worked for  him :)

i have won a 505 mile combine race feeding just w/hood mix , this was a 12hour race with the bird not being trained ,, 4 races , flew on w/hood , but nearing the race flew allmost all day, when the other cocks were all in :)

sir colin was fed a heavy diet including p,nuts [couldnt get him to eat the maize] the races he came in were all head winders and lower velocities :)

so really varied races,, varied feeding

just a thought does it really matter what u feed,if ure doos hit form nothing will stop them,my auld man won the john donald trophy for the best average over 17 races in the midland fed feeding a mixture produced by swainstons called trophy it wasn't a great mix but it was cheap.This was right out to sartilly with the scc

thats the bit,,, hitting superior form at the right time  :)

Yes we all do our best for the birds to supply the fuel.

Unfortunately on a long holdover at the distance much of our good work in null and void (I did say much and not all) because the feed in the transporter is completely different from what we would choose to feed birds in the last 2 or 3 days before liberation.

Guest strapper
bean's are for horse's  :)

maybe a good percentage of national winners in wales better start keeping them then,because they sure know how to make pigeons fed on beans win top races. :)

A question for not only asha but anyone else that may hopper feed beans. Why is this feeding regime so good for the distance?

How true it is Tony, I don't know, But they say, you can hopper feed beans to pigeons, and they don't put weight on!!.  

one year i fed tic beans up to 230 miles it was then i changed the feed as i feared they wouldnt have enough in reserve , i have flown up to 512 mile on versa laga superwidowhood and won  :) i suppose if fed just beans as no variety there less likely to gorge and eat just what they need  ;)

, it was wrong of asha to confuse novices .

How come i confused novices?,paulo quoted beans are no good for distance ;D ;D.i put him straight.

Thats misquoting me to say the least Asha I said that the guys at the moot had said too much protein is the biggest mistake you can make in feeding the birds for racing

"So how for old bird feeding I need a decent feeding system to race with. I will be racing 12 natural hens and a team of 9 widowhood cocks. I have already decided to use Gerry Plus as one of my base racing mixtures as its great stuff. I will be following the feeding schedule of the elite modern system as this did seem to work well but using different mixtures. I need a protein build up mixture however the dilemma I have is was at a pigeon moot and the experts were saying one of the biggest errors you can make is feed too much protein. They also felt that British corn mixtures such as bam fords were poor quality and not as good as Belgium corn.

I was going to use Bam fords Eurowinner Leige as my build up mixture for the longer distance events but after hearing the comments at the moot I’m having different thoughts. Perhaps this mixture may be a bit too much protein rich for old bird racing?

Whats your thoughts on this and have you any recommendations as to mixtures you have used?''

Where in there do I say beans are bad for distance flying?

PAULO. you dont have to change your seed just alter it a tad , not too much at one time  or you can knock them off, if you want to give some extra protien try brewers yeast 18% protien if my memory serves me right, lemon juice/garlic oil on the feed  to moisten it and add brewers yeast to the feed, if you give them it at start when breeding to get used to it, they will not turn there noses up at it when you want them to eat it.

my feed at the moment 80% wheat and 20% maples and ill increase the maples as the young birds on the nest get bigger  :) i feed no maize as i dont want fat birds as maize is mainly stored as fat for the birds reserves so theres no need to have it in my birds diet untill i intend to train and race my birds

I don't know if the other suppliers do the same, but I found Bucktons' bar chart showing 'low, middle, high'  fat, carbs and protein content in their bags of mixes very helpful. They have also changed that quite recently to show actual percentages.

While looking for the % calculator, did get a reminder that 100% of each of the foodstuffs in the grain might not be available to the bird, much of it may be undigestible, and other sites converted that actual availability to an energy equivalent, Kcalories / weight of grain.

Lastly, there must be a need for the bird's digestive system to be kept in tip-top condition to get these foodstuffs made available to the bird as and when they're needed. Somehow I don't think it's whats eaten in the few days up to the race thats most important, it's the amount and quality the bird has had available to it in the (years?) weeks and months preceding it.

quite interesting my poll on another thread for the distance many use more maize some prefer beans but the winner is peanuts so far

what benefits would peanut's be to your birds

i like marimans varimix bit expensive but it's good grub by adding more maize and peanuts to this mix would you think that's a good idea or not

http://pigeons.taylorschoice.co.uk/products/162701_mariman_varimax_widowhood_uk_25kgs.php

I am sure that there are many views on feeding. Like most, I have read the books and taken note of what I've seen top fanciers do.

I still think that at the end of the day it's pigeons that matter. Good pigeons win races and average pigeons win sometimes, when everything is in their favour.

Regardless of feeding, pigeons with cocci, canker, worms or repiritory, don't win.

Years ago there were top fanciers flying at Newport Gwent who fled mostly on chicken corn. And they had yearlings winning the long races.

One top flyer in this area flies on mainly beans. Hopper fed. This partnership has a fantastic record in the Nationals. I am pretty sure they fly the best of M&D Evans pigeons. I know another top flyer who uses hopper fed barley all the week and feeds one of the Versa Laga mixes on the Thursday and Friday. He has been winning multiple positions using a STB clock against a majority using ETS. He is in his late seventies and according to him he has problems catching the birds. It's the birds that win races if they are healthy.

"So how for old bird feeding I need a decent feeding system to race with. I will be racing 12 natural hens and a team of 9 widowhood cocks. I have already decided to use Gerry Plus as one of my base racing mixtures as its great stuff. I will be following the feeding schedule of the elite modern system as this did seem to work well but using different mixtures. I need a protein build up mixture however the dilemma I have is was at a pigeon moot and the experts were saying one of the biggest errors you can make is feed too much protein. They also felt that British corn mixtures such as bam fords were poor quality and not as good as Belgium corn.

I was going to use Bam fords Eurowinner Leige as my build up mixture for the longer distance events but after hearing the comments at the moot I’m having different thoughts. Perhaps this mixture may be a bit too much protein rich for old bird racing?

Whats your thoughts on this and have you any recommendations as to mixtures you have used?''

Where in there do I say beans are bad for distance flying?

Hi Paulo, Bamfords have a variety of mixtures and i couldn't tell you what would be the best one for you. I can tell you Bamfords corn is every bit as good as Belgium mixtures Who ever said that is going along with all this SShit that continental is better well it ain't.

Feed or PIGEONS!!!!!!!

Believe me PEOPLE Bamfords is every bit as good as your continental feeds and cheaper!!!!!!!!!