This Is Not Pigeon Racing

Cant just be birds of prey with the amount of birds going missing its impossible. My club has 10 in race time from a 75 mile race. Cant be that many BOP in 75 miles

You’d be surprised Ryan. On a line of flight from Forfar to Peterhead there’s roughly a dozen pair. Factor in 2 to 3 young being taught to kill at this time of year. Not sure if you’ve ever witnessed a peregrine having a go at batches of doo’s. It’s not a pretty sight. Birds are scattered in all directions. Also if you ask Davie Barrie he has witnessed the whole convoy being turned and chased inland.

Has it nae got something to do with birds sitting in a tin lorry and metal baskets in a terrible thundry heat all night possibly nae getting near drinker then being already partially dehydrated then liberated .

You’d be surprised Ryan. On a line of flight from Forfar to Peterhead there’s roughly a dozen pair. Factor in 2 to 3 young being taught to kill at this time of year. Not sure if you’ve ever witnessed a peregrine having a go at batches of doo’s. It’s not a pretty sight. Birds are scattered in all directions. Also if you ask Davie Barrie he has witnessed the whole convoy being turned and chased inland.

When I stayed on a farm on the outskirts of Moffat in the 1990"s I witnessed the Lanarkshire young birds that had been liberated at locharbriggs being turned and scattered all over the sky by 1 peregrine

To be hit by a family nowadays every few miles there's the answer as you rightfully say

Our hobby won't survive past our generation

I let mine off a chuck at foress bout 25birds soon as I let them out the basket and they hit the sky I saw two perigune straight through them ,then worked to pull the birds further inland, lost 8 that day. foress 31 mile from Inverness with breeding etc I reckon there will be a couple more in that area atleast, even driving that short distance the amount of hawks I seen circling the fields too was crazy, this is area most you guys dont need to worry about, my point is there everywhere and problem only getting worse. only way we could maybe identify bad areas is with GPS. I have sky leader but you need to get birds home to read the ring, live tracking would open our eyes to the sky. just need some one to make the idea work

Well lads theres a batch of ybs been flying back n forth here since about 9pm i got one out of the batch. They are totally lost . my mate who is up at silver sands saying theres a batch flying about there as well looking lost

Many theories and all very plausible as to the terrible racing we are experiencing . At this rate as davie rightly says we wont have pigeon racing for the next generation, certainly not as it is now anyway

John

Well lads theres a batch of ybs been flying back n forth here since about 9pm i got one out of the batch. They are totally lost . my mate who is up at silver sands saying theres a batch flying about there as well looking lost

Many theories and all very plausible as to the terrible racing we are experiencing . At this rate as davie rightly says we wont have pigeon racing for the next generation, certainly not as it is now anyway

John

You would have second thoughts recommending it to someone as good hobby to get into

I let mine off a chuck at foress bout 25birds soon as I let them out the basket and they hit the sky I saw two perigune straight through them ,then worked to pull the birds further inland, lost 8 that day. foress 31 mile from Inverness with breeding etc I reckon there will be a couple more in that area atleast, even driving that short distance the amount of hawks I seen circling the fields too was crazy, this is area most you guys dont need to worry about, my point is there everywhere and problem only getting worse. only way we could maybe identify bad areas is with GPS. I have sky leader but you need to get birds home to read the ring, live tracking would open our eyes to the sky. just need some one to make the idea work

They’re everywhere You rightfully state !! So everywhere is a Bad area !!!!!

They’re everywhere You rightfully state !! So everywhere is a Bad area !!!!!

IF YOU LOOK BACK TWO OR THREE WEEK BHW BRASSPENNING [ HE KNOWS A BIT ABOOT RACING GOOD DOOS ]SAID NEVER TRAIN OR RACE YOUNG BIRDS IN A CLEAR SKY WITH A SOUTH EAST WIND AS THE YOUNGSTERS DONT LIKE IT

I TOSSED AND SO DID JIM COUTTS THE SAME DAY FROM NEAR ENOUGH THE SAME SPOT IN THESE CONDITIONS AND BOTH GOT A BIG HIT.

THE CONDITIONS WERE LIKE THAT TODAY MAKES YOU WONDER

IF YOU LOOK BACK TWO OR THREE WEEK BHW BRASSPENNING [ HE KNOWS A BIT ABOOT RACING GOOD DOOS ]SAID NEVER TRAIN OR RACE YOUNG BIRDS IN A CLEAR SKY WITH A SOUTH EAST WIND AS THE YOUNGSTERS DONT LIKE IT

I TOSSED AND SO DID JIM COUTTS THE SAME DAY FROM NEAR ENOUGH THE SAME SPOT IN THESE CONDITIONS AND BOTH GOT A BIG HIT.

THE CONDITIONS WERE LIKE THAT TODAY MAKES YOU WONDER

Yes Gordon we all know that the birds young or old don’t perform so well with east in the wind. But when they arrived they did so in big batches 15s and 20s especially in the shorter races. Clear sky and early lib. Breakfast time! Weather conditions and wind direction yesterday from Banff westward the birds should of been doing 1300s minimum. But they return hours late and arrive in 1s and 2s.

You boys race from forfar , perigines are there , Aberdeen race from arbroath ,perigines there , we race from Aniston ,we've heard of attacks when they have beem circling. BIG CHANGES ARE NEEDED , for the good of the sport , we stay 5 miles from stcyrus where there is a pair with usually 3-4 youngsters, couple of years ago a week before the ybird racing started i took 4 pied late breds to see if there was any problems at the cliffs, Well the 4 birds circled over stcyrus and headed across the cliffs ,when all off a sudden 5 perigines were in the air at one time the two adults and 3 younsters , the doos had experienced them before and went to ground , got them all back but if this is happening every 10-15 miles what chance has our birds , racing maybe needs to be later or earlier