Disappointed With The J Murphy Column

lanarkshire lad

Reading the Joe Murphy column in the BHW I must say I was very disappointed with Joe's comments regarding the SNFC races it seems to me he does not give credit where credit is due!. The SNFC had a great 2015 racing season one of the best that I can remember with great races from Alencon Ancenis and Clermont and had two great races from inland race points Eastbourne and Portsmouth what more does he want?? and all these good races were achieved using wicker baskets and a real good bed of shavings IMO the best mode of transport for the long haul. WHY does Joe think that by going in a Geraldy transporter would be an improvement? The SNFC got it right this year IMO with there races so a BIG WELL DONE TO ALL CONCERNED and I hope this year is much the same.

Good post jim and like yourself still think the wicker baskets are the berries!!! Think wee joe might have been a bit grumpy when compiling his article!!! Lol. :partick-thistle-Crest:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been told that shavings will clog up the air conditioning system ???

Shavings blog up the watering system , but you can get a layer of easy bed on top of the card board , mines have been going in geraldy crates for 10 years now , once or twice I have had birds with their feet caked in sheite (hard )and one or two with tails the same .

Shavings blog up the watering system , but you can get a layer of easy bed on top of the card board , mines have been going in geraldy crates for 10 years now , once or twice I have had birds with their feet caked in sheite (hard )and one or two with tails the same .

Fair enough I am no a fan of easybed the ybs eat the stuff there shouldnae be anything in the baskets the doos are going to eat my preference would be they big wood flakes I don't know wit you call them.

Fair enough I am no a fan of easybed the ybs eat the stuff there shouldnae be anything in the baskets the doos are going to eat my preference would be they big wood flakes I don't know wit you call them.

the big wood flakes are the worse for chocking the drinkers the best is sawdust in any basket ,jmo

also the ancess birds go in metal baskets with midland nat

I like wicker baskets with deep shavings BUT I hate the fact we throw feed onto the shi te so the Geraldy feeding /watering system is far better. Saying that, regardless of which transporter is used, fewer birds in a basket/crate is the key for comfort, less stress and more success.

The Ayrshire North Road Federation recently refurbished its trailer. We fitted new racking and bought new wooden crates. I am not debating the wicker issue, but with the Geraldy crates and with our wooden ones and perhaps even with wicker ones our current system could work.

What we have is through ventilation and water (or feed) on both long sides of the crate. We have no requirements for the feed, but have seen a marked improvement in the condition of the pigeons because of the improved watering facility. :)

In regard to, if it is not broken don't fix it. I partly agree with the sentiments, but my understanding is that regulations have came into force which caused changes and also we should be continuously looking to improve the situation for our pigeons whether that be by air conditioning or feed water systems. Some of these things cost "the earth", but small things like reducing the number of pigeons whilst ensuring they are not being thrown about the crates, don't cost anything. :)

I like wicker baskets with deep shavings BUT I hate the fact we throw feed onto the shi te so the Geraldy feeding /watering system is far better. Saying that, regardless of which transporter is used, fewer birds in a basket/crate is the key for comfort, less stress and more success.

Your last point is most relevant Derek, nothing stirs me up more than too many birds going in the baskets.

I seen somewhere the convoyer before feeding put a new line of shavings in and the feeding was put on top of the new shavings ive also seen inserts trays being put in baskets food for thought.

That would depend on the convoyer ive seen it done. What do you think of made to measure plastic grills in the Geraldy crates/ for me that would solve a few problems.

I agree and would have the plastic grills in a minute Jim but whats paramount to me is space for the pigeons and easy access to CLEAN feed and water.

Totally agree del less birds the better ,even when I go training I take an extra basket to give my birds more room , yet we get told to put in 27 in each crate at fed level . 24 is more than enough , but it's all to do with costs how many lorries go to race point .

Totally agree del less birds the better ,even when I go training I take an extra basket to give my birds more room , yet we get told to put in 27 in each crate at fed level . 24 is more than enough , but it's all to do with costs how many lorries go to race point .

It is all to do with costs Stu, I wish it was all to do with the pigeons.

Don't think anyone writer has divided opinions more than Joe has over the years!

It would be interesting to read some of his old articles written during the time when he was PRO for the SNFC. Wonder if his opinion has changed slightly since then on how things are being run.

This is not an attack on him as he come up with some good ideas over the years, like anyone else I suppose?

Re Transporters

You should read some of the comments on the other pigeon site regarding the divided opinions on the different types of transporters used in the English Nats, Classic Clubs. Especially after the very hot spell we had last year, when if I'm correct you didn't send to Ypres because of the heat?

Can I ask how many pigeon men have actually spent any time in the back of a transporter, loading unloading birds etc?

I agree and would have the plastic grills in a minute Jim but whats paramount to me is space for the pigeons and easy access to CLEAN feed and water.

Made to measure would be tricky, getting them in and out. as for cleaning them would also be a job .and a half .as all clubs don't have secondery baskets , the doo men at present ,in the Lanarkshire fed ain't to chuffed at not getting there own baskets back ,so cleaning other doo men's sh** from grills could cause more trouble than its worth.health wise and effort

In 2010 the nat was at Bovingdon with over 5,000 birds and arrived there on the Friday morning. The mid-day temp was in the 30s C and godness knows what it was like inside but I was told locals put water hoses on the transporter in an attempt to cool it down. heat can kill quicker than we imagine and I do believe their was disastrous returns.

peter the bovingdon race 2010, the winner was doing 1377, the last doo in the open result 526th 1165 vel. also there were 6 section winners. the 6th section winner was 33rd open.