Natural

peter pandy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Started treating for Canker to-day as my usual thought has been why treat for something you don't have but perhaps I have been wrong by only treating the birds just the once when they were leaving the nest and that was the limit of that particular drug use. With the birds picking about on the grass in front of the loft I have noticed many Slug trails so the Flock will have to be treated for Lung Worm which should cover Respiratory Infection if any. To anybody reading this do not use Slug Pellets anywhere the birds can get to them as they are deadly which I found to my cost last year.

By the way,, Only a fool repeats the same methods every year and expects to get a different result according to Confucius !!.

Started treating for Canker to-day as my usual thought has been why treat for something you don't have but perhaps I have been wrong by only treating the birds just the once when they were leaving the nest and that was the limit of that particular drug use. With the birds picking about on the grass in front of the loft I have noticed many Slug trails so the Flock will have to be treated for Lung Worm which should cover Respiratory Infection if any. To anybody reading this do not use Slug Pellets anywhere the birds can get to them as they are deadly which I found to my cost last year.

By the way,, Only a fool repeats the same methods every year and expects to get a different result according to Confucius !!.

So confucious?....when somebody tells ye that yer wrong what do you do???

Modern techniques as you are well aware Steve can be applied, unfortunately they wont work in all lofts especially if, as in my case, the colony are all bred down from 600 milers which are just not capable to take one through the Club programme. I can but try as last year where I employed a system from 1968 which is as near as damnit a modern day one with the main difference being that it was designed for short distance up to 250 miles and my plodders could not hack it. I can honestly say that I gave it a go regardless of results which were not forthcoming, But at least I tried and am satisfied within myself.

Modern techniques as you are well aware Steve can be applied, unfortunately they wont work in all lofts especially if, as in my case, the colony are all bred down from 600 milers which are just not capable to take one through the Club programme. I can but try as last year where I employed a system from 1968 which is as near as damnit a modern day one with the main difference being that it was designed for short distance up to 250 miles and my plodders could not hack it. I can honestly say that I gave it a go regardless of results which were not forthcoming, But at least I tried and am satisfied within myself.

The pigeons have no idea how far you are sending them nor do they have any idea of who their parents are.....have won many a 50 mile race with a Kirkpatrick

The pigeons have no idea how far you are sending them nor do they have any idea of who their parents are.....have won many a 50 mile race with a Kirkpatrick

John Robertson frae Jedburgh could not get his to win out of turn and gave me a couple which bred Fed winners at 65-200 mile against 5-6000 birds and they were down from Man Friday and Double Top. Perhaps loft location had something to do with it. LOL

Must disagree with your comment J.F.Robertson never won out of turn , I raced alongside John for 30+yrs in Jed club and he was the man to beat every week in club and fed right up until the last race regardless of the distance.

Must disagree with your comment J.F.Robertson never won out of turn , I raced alongside John for 30+yrs in Jed club and he was the man to beat every week in club and fed right up until the last race regardless of the distance.

Perhaps I should have explained in a differing manner. In 1974 when I was down there Having been invited he did say they were distance birds which I could have inadvertently took for not being Club winners as in those days races were over in a matter of minutes and I certainly don't wish to mislead in any way..

The colony has been confined to the Loft this past week with a 7 day preventative treatment course given and hopefully normal service will resume to-morrow in preparation for the joining together in three weeks time. My Young Bird team has came along in leaps and bounds attracting attention from "Jack" who wants to feed it and has his nose pecked for his troubles which ends up with him completely burying the youngster in straw. Aye we are all comedians in my loft..

The colony has been confined to the Loft this past week with a 7 day preventative treatment course given and hopefully normal service will resume to-morrow in preparation for the joining together in three weeks time. My Young Bird team has came along in leaps and bounds attracting attention from "Jack" who wants to feed it and has his nose pecked for his troubles which ends up with him completely burying the youngster in straw. Aye we are all comedians in my loft..

a video of that would be a good thing :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Andy, I said to my laddie "44" that I wanted him to take a video of antics in the loft and he replied use your phone !, When I asked him to be more specific as my phone was only there to make phone calls with he went apoplectic as usual at my ignorance in modern technology. After some instruction I will see what I can do, No promises mind you.. No point in having a dog and barking yourself..

With a beautiful day and pre treatment course completed the Hens had their freedom after a fortnight ensconced in the loft. They thoroughly enjoyed ripping around the locality then down for a Salt bath, Away again after laying around in the sunshine seen them putting in about two hours exercise. FlightPath on the feed to replenish any lost Microflora should see them fit for meeting their future partners.

Andy, I said to my laddie "44" that I wanted him to take a video of antics in the loft and he replied use your phone !, When I asked him to be more specific as my phone was only there to make phone calls with he went apoplectic as usual at my ignorance in modern technology. After some instruction I will see what I can do, No promises mind you.. No point in having a dog and barking yourself..

With a beautiful day and pre treatment course completed the Hens had their freedom after a fortnight ensconced in the loft. They thoroughly enjoyed ripping around the locality then down for a Salt bath, Away again after laying around in the sunshine seen them putting in about two hours exercise. FlightPath on the feed to replenish any lost Microflora should see them fit for meeting their future partners.

good luck Peter :drinking-coffee-200:

Disaster to-day after the Cocks had put in a good fly then came down into the Salt bath and were having a good soak when they were disturbed and took off like bats out of Hell, Narrowly scraping the top of the 6'6" boundary hedge they plowed into a van on the adjacent roundabout. With a cloud of feathers flying in all directions I hastily made my way to stop the traffic as birds were strewn over the road and two unable to help themselves through injury were lying down unable to move, Picking them up a motorist asked if it was worth getting killed for a couple of flying rats was given a piece of verbal and was astonished when I mentioned they were worth £500 apiece, He hastily asked if I needed a hand but as I could see no more thanked him for stopping while he berated half a dozen cars behind him to "F" off. I am at the moment 4 missing although I have checked out all the gardens, One that I picked up is recuperating with the Hens whilst the other is in a bad way with feathers missing from chest, back, wings and tail so is in the nursery which is a large cage in my tool shed, When last checked on he still has not moved but our wee darlings are resilient and hardy so will keep the fingers crossed for him.

Do not believe it was a BOP Kevin as I am sure it was a Jackdaw that scared them. I hope to find out to-morrow as it is all recorded on one of my Security cameras which overlooks that particular area, So when my boy comes in he can rewind the scene and play it all back in close up then I will know how many were struck and where they went.

i canna understand your post peter saying the birds went over a fence and hit a van. my doos are open hole and are off like a gunshot many a time and never hit a thing except me if ime in the way, i dinna agree with this lock down for a fortnight after vacs, as long as its done 2weeks afore racin then no need to hold them in , let out an keep them smart thats my way, aye you lose some but they are switced on for bop an thats what you want when trng starts, dont confine doos is what i say peter.

Disaster to-day after the Cocks had put in a good fly then came down into the Salt bath and were having a good soak when they were disturbed and took off like bats out of Hell, Narrowly scraping the top of the 6'6" boundary hedge they plowed into a van on the adjacent roundabout. With a cloud of feathers flying in all directions I hastily made my way to stop the traffic as birds were strewn over the road and two unable to help themselves through injury were lying down unable to move, Picking them up a motorist asked if it was worth getting killed for a couple of flying rats was given a piece of verbal and was astonished when I mentioned they were worth £500 apiece, He hastily asked if I needed a hand but as I could see no more thanked him for stopping while he berated half a dozen cars behind him to "F" off. I am at the moment 4 missing although I have checked out all the gardens, One that I picked up is recuperating with the Hens whilst the other is in a bad way with feathers missing from chest, back, wings and tail so is in the nursery which is a large cage in my tool shed, When last checked on he still has not moved but our wee darlings are resilient and hardy so will keep the fingers crossed for him.