Natural

peter pandy

I Peter beg to differ with regards malting barley ,there is such a thing as the brewers lay down the criteria for the grain bought buy them ,ie a good quality seed to be used ,a pure supply of the grain provided , no more than 5% broken grain ,moisture content of 13.5% if possible if it is to high the farmer is penalised ,high sugar count ,and a strain of barley that has a good germination score, and also farmers have decide at the start of the growing season if they are going to join the co/op and contract themselves and their crop to the brewery if they do the price of their crop is agreed by them and brewery ,so feed barley and malting barley are 2 different things.So if you wish to feed barley go to a farmer that grows barley for the breweries

Aye Phil, I think you may have missed the "Meat" of the subject, For example, If I wish to give more protein then I can feed Livestock Feed Barley and if I wish to feed more Carbohydrate then I can feed Malting Barley, Their is also the difference in the co/op definition, which is Co-Operative meaning the group of farmers supplying the Brewery, and Co-Operation where the Brewery instructs the farmers in the Co-Operative what is required in Fertilizers ensuring high yield Carbohydrate Barley. As I said in an earlier Post "I Never Knew That"..

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hens out this morning in an attempt to have them out before "Him doon the Street", "Him roond the bend" and them doon the Avenue can see them and participate in a joint exercise. They were gone in a Northerly direction in the blink of an eye and away only returning high up from the South and headed Westerly. Meanwhile I was watching a "murder of crows" diving and jooking about before splitting into pairs so it looks like Spring is springing regardless of the weather forecast, It was an Hour and a Half before they decided "Hens" to return to the area and show themselves to the Cocks in the veranda.. Me, I was in the greenhouse with the heater going full blast, Bugger that its cauld.

Hens out this morning in an attempt to have them out before "Him doon the Street", "Him roond the bend" and them doon the Avenue can see them and participate in a joint exercise. They were gone in a Northerly direction in the blink of an eye and away only returning high up from the South and headed Westerly. Meanwhile I was watching a "murder of crows" diving and jooking about before splitting into pairs so it looks like Spring is springing regardless of the weather forecast, It was an Hour and a Half before they decided "Hens" to return to the area and show themselves to the Cocks in the veranda.. Me, I was in the greenhouse with the heater going full blast, Bugger that its cauld.

How much time are you getting from your cocks? My hens will do the same as yours, but the cocks are not interested. 30 minutes max then down. They start off again, but not for long and then the cycle repeats until I call them in. Not bothering to flag yet. :)

Aye Andy, the Cocks are only doing about 45 Minutes before dropping since I inadvertently dropped the window in the Hen section and they had a good keek at the future Ladies in Waiting, They are also a touch on the heavy side compared to the Hens even with the rations cut back a wee bit and am quite surprised as the feed is the same quality to all.

Sorry for the hijack Peter :emoticon-0136-giggle: . But just to let you know Tommybhoy was given out freebies yesterday. He said he had txt all his friends to let them know about the one day promotional. :emoticon-0123-party:

So PENFOLD,, Jobbie stirrer, My big mate was rather upset when on the phone that you are once again stirring the Cess Pit and in future their will be no more sob stories accepted from you WHO was given a FREE NEST MAT due to you pleading poverty. All you have succeeded in doing is to give us Pensioners a bad name when all we want is a little help with our meagre income :cry-blow:

With winter returning with a vengeance I was waiting till the blizzard conditions abated before venturing down to the loft. It was to no avail as the conditions worsened, So wrapping up warmly and Muck Boot Wellies on Guaranteed to -20c went forth into Snow 9" Deep and Ice Balls falling from the heavens, The Colony did not appreciate the Snowman entering the loft and were extremely wary even though speaking to them all the time in an attempt to calm them down, Heating on full blast soon had the snow melted from Loft Coat and Boots in the -4c environment, Drinkers replaced, filled, and with inmates fed to appetite it was a welcome return to warmth of the house and a cuppa. One hour later I was back down emptying the Drinkers for to-morrow so I wont be breaking Ice again, I reckon Wind Chill factor would have the Temp about -10c and wish we were back down South again. BRRRRRR.

Any tips Peter to stop drinker freezing? :drinking-coffee-200:

Aye, Empty them 1 Hour after feeding which gives them time for a second drink. I know some people stick a candle in the drinker then send for the Fire Brigade when the Loft burns down, Just a bit of humour but I have straw in the loft and some straws are extremely light and blow about so Personally any naked flame is a no go. Wee Mary says the Loft Heaters run away with too much Electric and if the wild birds can survive then so can mine.. Had the Dogs out at 22.00 Hrs and the outside thermometer was -10c with the wind chill..

Perhaps those with a reasonable memory will recall that I always pair up with the Full Moon which is To-Morrow and that was my intention, however with Blizzards outside the house, the Metropolis under 18ins of snow and drifts in the garden 3ft deep I am putting that ridiculous thought out of my head.

The next Full Moon is the end of March so will go with the New Moon on St Patricks day instead for a change.. Visiting the loft is not a pleasant experience in this climate for me or the colony..

hi peter, i had canareys and many coulered parakeets back in the day an aye i used barrel heatrs for the shed and did a good trade wie the pet shop but i think you are wrang with heating a loft. bbreeding birds togo the distance then its nat n happy all the way/ dinna heat and let oot in al;l weather min

hi peter, i had canareys and many coulered parakeets back in the day an aye i used barrel heatrs for the shed and did a good trade wie the pet shop but i think you are wrang with heating a loft. bbreeding birds togo the distance then its nat n happy all the way/ dinna heat and let oot in al;l weather min

Dave, On deciphering your post rest assured that my Loft heater is only on when I am ensconced within to defrost me and not for the colony to warm itself. I do however use it in the Summer in the attempt to maintain humidity levels in the cold damp weather which affects form, or at least so I am lead to believe. You have to remember it is a "radiated" heat Panel and not a heater as such it suggests. Their is a difference..

Dave, On deciphering your post rest assured that my Loft heater is only on when I am ensconced within to defrost me and not for the colony to warm itself. I do however use it in the Summer in the attempt to maintain humidity levels in the cold damp weather which affects form, or at least so I am lead to believe. You have to remember it is a "radiated" heat Panel and not a heater as such it suggests. Their is a difference..

Heaters for humidity???? Fookin tropical over on the east is it not?

Heaters for humidity???? Fookin tropical over on the east is it not?

Humidity is only water vapour in the atmosphere and with a Hygrometer fitted on the control panel I can set the % I want to maintain Steve whether it is warm or cold.

I would not know about the East as I am in the West ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

Humidity is only water vapour in the atmosphere and with a Hygrometer fitted on the control panel I can set the % I want to maintain Steve whether it is warm or cold.

I would not know about the East as I am in the West ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

In the west.....love it