Natural

peter pandy

Rooting around in the sheds recently I came across a bin full of Barley so when visiting a very good friend lately we discussed what my feeding programme was last year 2017 and he commented that he would have tweaked it here and there to bring out a bit more stamina as the distance progressed. To cut a long story short he has persuaded me to give it a try knowing that I am want to changing things every year (or month as someone retorted recently) Plus it uses up quite a bit of quality feed I have stored away in bins. Being a penshunner I have to take care of the pennies as Wee Mary looks after the £££.

With the Hens out to-day the Young Bird team joined them and am now without a Young Bird team as it not in the locality, Maybe the morra..

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sitting here laughing to myself Kevin as I did not realise you were missing my banter LOL. The only problem with the colony is the fact they are a bit on the heavy side which is noticeable with the way and time they are exercising, So cut the feed and cut out the fats with results improving in 48 hours, Lean, mean and ready to go when I feel the time is right. I am sure everyone !! knows there is no moon on a new moon as it has waned but it is full in 19 days so will probably wait till then with wild life at its most active.. Has anyone noticed the Hedges and Trees are still bereft of leaves at our Latitude so Wild Life is still dormant, But if you think you are getting a head start then that is your prerogative so carry on. Patience is a virtue and I will be motivated by nature, not experiencing Hens not laying and eggs not hatching Youngsters dying in the nest etcetera, etcetera. Aye I was beating all the Darkies with a White Hen showing them the road 2 years past and nearly committing myself to a mental hospital at her trapping. Nae wunner I aint interested in goin throo that again.. :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Young Bird Team now ZERO.

Last year was the first year I never trained old birds and was not far off the mark in the early races, so, being observant and deciding I would not train again I had noticed that older birds were holding the Yearlings back by peeling off to return to the loft bringing the Yearlings back with them at times. So Mid-Day to-day with a nice sky I gave the yearling Cocks their freedom minus the old birds and off they took like rockets and I went shopping with the C.O.

14.00 I was not to bothered, 15.00 I was, 15.45 one returned from the North, 16.15 one from the South, 17.17 one from the West, 17.25 another from the South and that was it from 22 Yearling Cocks.. Is this a foretaste of the future !!!.

Last year was the first year I never trained old birds and was not far off the mark in the early races, so, being observant and deciding I would not train again I had noticed that older birds were holding the Yearlings back by peeling off to return to the loft bringing the Yearlings back with them at times. So Mid-Day to-day with a nice sky I gave the yearlings their freedom minus the old birds and off they took like rockets and I went shopping with the C.O.

14.00 I was not to bothered, 15.00 I was, 15.45 one returned from the North, 16.15 one from the South, 17.17 one from the West, 17.25 another from the South and that was it from 22 Yearling Cocks.. Is this a foretaste of the future !!!.

They will hopefully be taking cover on nearby roofs ..a couple of weeks ago I had all my yearling hens sleep out after a hawk attack .the older experienced hen appeared at grey dark thankfully all made it home this time

Last year was the first year I never trained old birds and was not far off the mark in the early races, so, being observant and deciding I would not train again I had noticed that older birds were holding the Yearlings back by peeling off to return to the loft bringing the Yearlings back with them at times. So Mid-Day to-day with a nice sky I gave the yearling Cocks their freedom minus the old birds and off they took like rockets and I went shopping with the C.O.

blimey , you dont half get trouble at your door :emoticon-0127-lipssealed:

Oh well, With the loss of Cocks it has left me with equal sexes for pairing which will not be this week-end but the 31st of March, It is not just a case of the full moon but I wish all the Yearlings especially, to be able to have a couple of races under their belt before lifting and looking to go down on their second round eggs. With that being the intention I should manage to get them out to 100mls miss a race then into 150ml mark on their Second round eggs which should see them till the 200ml mark before stopping them for the season.. Best laid plans and aw that will hopefully see the older birds on the 3rd round in late June when real racing starts. Beastly weather for this week-end has a familiar ring to it..

Stevie, I don't have Yearlings as such with them being bred July, August, September which makes them Late Breeds and I believe 200 miles or a 5 hour fly minimum is more than enough for such an age. I suppose you could term it as team building and on digesting National race results over the years you may notice that at 500 + Miles Yearling and Two Year Olds are in the minority with the Three Year Olds + achieving positions. Perhaps it is just an age thing or as they used to say EXPERIENCE and KNOWLEDGE lies with years.

The loft has been closed up the past few days and others in the Metropolis appear to be in shutdown mode too, So if the Bassa has been looking for a meal at our expense its on a diet.

In my case the colony is normal health wise with firm droppings and snowy wattles which they should have at this time of year and with my date for mating being fixed all I have to do now is prepare them for the event by building up the energy levels as their food consumption will fall away once they are together.

Lemon / Lime juice sprinkled over the Base feed with Hormoform, Bplus, Palamos High Energy, Grated Cheese and extra Spillars Layers Pellets mixed together in their feed daily in the lead up for a fortnight, With past experience they will be bouncing..

The loft has been closed up the past few days and others in the Metropolis appear to be in shutdown mode too, So if the Bassa has been looking for a meal at our expense its on a diet.

In my case the colony is normal health wise with firm droppings and snowy wattles which they should have at this time of year and with my date for mating being fixed all I have to do now is prepare them for the event by building up the energy levels as their food consumption will fall away once they are together.

Lemon / Lime juice sprinkled over the Base feed with Hormoform, Bplus, Palamos High Energy, Grated Cheese and extra Spillars Layers Pellets mixed together in their feed daily in the lead up for a fortnight, With past experience they will be bouncing..

With past experience they will be bouncing ,you have done *expletive removed* all for the last number of years do your self a favour and you eat the cheese lol

I don't know but i find it very interesting,is this the method your good friend Mr E.Newcombe used Peter?

Im thinking of following your methods this season i particular liked your young bird method of not training

and jumping them straight into the first race :) do you think it will be worth settling them first :wacko:

With white stuff covering the garden, the colony confined to the loft the past 5 days and a wind chill factor bringing minus degree temps it is not congestive for man nor beast, However needs must be attended to as it is a 365 day "hobby" just like an every day function.

At the club to-day it was mentioned that the early breeding has not been very successful but I kept my trap shut.. Although sitting here I am inwardly smiling at the foolishness of it all, Still not a bud to be seen on the trees or hedges and no wild birds going to nest, OOPS apart from streeters. :emoticon-0136-giggle: