Slugs

andy Burgess

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately your birds can contract Lungworm if they peck the slime or eggs from slugs and you will have to treat them with Levacide.

what are the signs Peter ?

Huge problem, I've found talking to fanciers that have the problem are uses of products such as Brewers yeast, gemethpax and zell oxygen. I don't know why or if you do but it's a link to the problem of those who have said it before.

none of them in use Wiley , we did have hedge-hogs here , but the dog saw an end to them :emoticon-0127-lipssealed:

Huge problem, I've found talking to fanciers that have the problem are uses of products such as Brewers yeast, gemethpax and zell oxygen. I don't know why or if you do but it's a link to the problem of those who have said it before.

I don't use any of these products and I get bothered with the slugs I just spread salt round the loft . I thought I only got bothered we the slugs due to my loft being next to a concrete wall that seems to hold the dampness.

slugs a big problem here ...tried salt around lofts....fried at least 50 of the feckers with salt in one night with torch.(wife cracked up with me using all the salt :()

decided last week to leave a tub of beer out ....got a suprise...about 12 slugs and at least 16 earwigs next morning?????????

what problems can earwigs cause??

Mick

Slugs, snails, earwigs and wood lice will all carry disease and parasites. In fact most creepy crawlies can infect your birds with something or other. i don't like to see spiders in my loft either because they are of the same species as mites and I reckon that if spiders live in my loft then so can the mites. Both spiders and mites absorb oxygen through their skin which makes them difficult to kill. I use Ardap spray which kills most things and also gets rid of the moths that used to drive me mad every Summer. I think it is essential to make sure that a mixture of grit and minerals are available to the birds at all times. This will help to stop the birds pecking around which can lead to them eating all sorts of things that are not good for them.

Some people think that it is OK to allow the birds to live naturally and never treat them for anything. I am not one of those people. We are asking pigeons to do unnatural things when we send them off to remote places to race back home. I think it follows that if we want our pigeons to give of their best and actually win races we must ensure that there is nothing left to chance. To me, it is unfair to expect pigeons carrying parasites to compete properly. So reckon that every loft Manager should include dealing with these creepy crawlies as part of their routine.

Slugs, snails, earwigs and wood lice will all carry disease and parasites. In fact most creepy crawlies can infect your birds with something or other. i don't like to see spiders in my loft either because they are of the same species as mites and I reckon that if spiders live in my loft then so can the mites. Both spiders and mites absorb oxygen through their skin which makes them difficult to kill. I use Ardap spray which kills most things and also gets rid of the moths that used to drive me mad every Summer. I think it is essential to make sure that a mixture of grit and minerals are available to the birds at all times. This will help to stop the birds pecking around which can lead to them eating all sorts of things that are not good for them.

Some people think that it is OK to allow the birds to live naturally and never treat them for anything. I am not one of those people. We are asking pigeons to do unnatural things when we send them off to remote places to race back home. I think it follows that if we want our pigeons to give of their best and actually win races we must ensure that there is nothing left to chance. To me, it is unfair to expect pigeons carrying parasites to compete properly. So reckon that every loft Manager should include dealing with these creepy crawlies as part of their routine.

so a few more things to look out for besides slugs eh Owen ? . i am suprised at spiders being a threat , have always looked on them as a foe ,webs trapping flies , moths etc ? :emoticon-0138-thinking:

You can get some slug killer from dobbies called slug clear , it's the ballocks it's like a battle field dead slugs everywhere , I lost a very good stock hen through getting lung worm of them by the time I discovered them in the loft it was too late, they came in the small louvre s . Hate the wee bastewards .

Guest BRYANBROCK

i got told from my grandfather many years ago that the best way to rid yourself of the slugs in gardens or sheds was to put tin of beer in to the ground with the top off over night or for few days when damp the slugs all to seem to go to tin they get pissed and drown now i know you think this waste of good tin of beer but i have tried it and it works :animatedpigeons: :animatedpigeons: :animatedpigeons:

Always enjoy reading your posts. Don't always agree with them :emoticon-0136-giggle: but still enjoy them :animatedpigeons:

billy 99

I always say it as I see it and I have never been worried that I have said what others may not like. Although I say what I think I never want to upset or offend people and I would be disappointed if I did. When I first got involved with pigeons in 1997 I was awful at it. I am sure I lost really good pigeons because I could not manage them to get the best from them. Since then I have evolved a method of managing my birds which gets them to win races which is what it is all about for me. Some of my methods are different to what you will read in a book and nothing like the way many of the long standing fanciers think is right. I have kept things simple and where possible cut the work down where possible. My methods are based on single factor genetics, progeny testing, health and positive training. I have had a moderate old bird season because I have not won as many races as I should have done but my youngsters have been fantastic. Considering that they were third round youngsters they have done far more than I expected. They have won many top Fed positions and won all but one Club race. I am changing my loft at the moment so that next years old birds will have a better chance to shine. To be honest I can't wait to race again.

I regard to the point about spiders being harmful. Spiders are not harmful to the pigeons but are a sign that where spiders live mites can also live. Spiders and mites absorb oxygen through their skin which can make them hard to kill as anyone who has had red mites will tell you. I will not tolerate spiders and will take steps to get rid of them because I know that my actions will help to keep the loft free from mites as well.

Totally agree with you Owen . I found I had a red mite problem this year I found myself checking every youngster in the nest every second day . I dealt with them and found this was prob the reason for the young birds not performing in past seasons . This years youngsters have won us every race but one and topping the angus fed flying on the east coast . I will be paying more attention how clean the loft is from now on

big blue bar

I have been lucky because I have been involved with poultry pretty much all my life so the problem of red mite was always something to be aware of. When I was a kid my father used to use broody hens to rear chicks. At one time we had broody hens die from mite infestation. I think at the time my father was working long hours and had neglected to prepare for the birds breeding. My lofts have been treated with Ardap and I will treat again before I transfer the racers to the racing loft. A useful spin off I have found from treating the lofts regularly is that I no longer have the annual moth invasion.

That's food for thought Owen I have noticed the moths and the grubs round the corners . Where do you get this ardap ?

big blue bar

I have been lucky because I have been involved with poultry pretty much all my life so the problem of red mite was always something to be aware of. When I was a kid my father used to use broody hens to rear chicks. At one time we had broody hens die from mite infestation. I think at the time my father was working long hours and had neglected to prepare for the birds breeding. My lofts have been treated with Ardap and I will treat again before I transfer the racers to the racing loft. A useful spin off I have found from treating the lofts regularly is that I no longer have the annual moth invasion.