Snfc Race Points

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To many agreeds and WE,WEs in this post JTFT IS ON THE SWALLY.Is it The 6th or the 12th and if it was passed at the LF AGM THAT WE GO WITH THE SNFC then its carried.

it was passed at the lanarkshire fed agm that we go to ypres on the 5th of the 7th yes with the snfc but if the snfc changes the date

does the lanarkshire follow or do they stick to the date THE MEMBERS CHOOSE ,budgie would have been better if you and yir mate were there to support you AGM :emoticon-0140-rofl: :emoticon-0140-rofl: :emoticon-0140-rofl: :emoticon-0140-rofl:

Could some fancier who has an SNFC rule book pre 2000 please inform us of the objects of the club ? As I am sure it was along the lines of THE PROMOTION OF LONG DISTANCE RACING INTO SCOTLAND and why the constitution was changed.

2 OBJECTS.The objects of the club shall be to organise and carry out the Annual National race or races open to members whose lofts are situated in scotland ,from rule book 1985 :animatedpigeons:

it was passed at the lanarkshire fed agm that we go to ypres on the 5th of the 7th yes with the snfc but if the snfc changes the date

does the lanarkshire follow or do they stick to the date THE MEMBERS CHOOSE ,budgie would have been better if you and yir mate were there to support you AGM :emoticon-0140-rofl: :emoticon-0140-rofl: :emoticon-0140-rofl: :emoticon-0140-rofl:

We were at the Race Programme and we will decide which meeting we attend .

great post Stewart hopefully common sence will win the day and both go together could be as u say the start of the reunion lets hope the politics and agendas are thrown in the bucket and the chance of better racing and above all else the welfayre of the doos being put first

Why do they nae have race from the Faroes and the north would get a shout ,instead of all the top results coming from the borders or there abouts.(Joke lol!!)before anyone goes daft.

The point here alan is this ,the SNRPC are going to Troyes again this year ,probably, and it doesn't run at a loss because of the good will of some top guys , they were informed at last years AGM to approach the snfc to see if the wanted to got to this race ,1st of all to share costs , also to get a bigger birdage. , they done it alone last year with a great race with great returns with only a handful of pigeons , to me it was also put to them as a friendly gesture ,and I was hoping that it would be the first step of reconciliation , come on guys it's on here all the time ,There should only be one national , well this was a step nearer that goal . It's only convoying facilities two separate races one lib and controlled in Scotland ..IMHO it could be a missed opertunity .

Stuart, you are absolutely correct, the split within the SNFC was the biggest disaster that has ever happened to the Scottish fancy, the sport is in severe decline and on a downward spiral which will only get worse as age reduces the number of fanciers participating, as far as I'm concerned all the old vendettas and agendas should be buried in an effort to save what we have left, for me, any opportunity should be grasped that could result in the two national clubs getting back together, personally I would be perfectly happy to go to Troyes with the SNRPC in either a joint convoying exercise or to compete in a single race.

Even though I am not overly keen on the concept of an " international " I would like to know if the SNRPC have been invited to compete at this proposed Ypres " international " race ??

Stuart, you are absolutely correct, the split within the SNFC was the biggest disaster that has ever happened to the Scottish fancy, the sport is in severe decline and on a downward spiral which will only get worse as age reduces the number of fanciers participating, as far as I'm concerned all the old vendettas and agendas should be buried in an effort to save what we have left, for me, any opportunity should be grasped that could result in the two national clubs getting back together, personally I would be perfectly happy to go to Troyes with the SNRPC in either a joint convoying exercise or to compete in a single race.

Even though I am not overly keen on the concept of an " international " I would like to know if the SNRPC have been invited to compete at this proposed Ypres " international " race ??

bang on davie time the ones holding grudges moved on or out to better our sport

Well, in the management committee race program race 4 the Longest Race is shown 'TBD' - to be decided. AGM can decide where we are going, and how.

I'm glad of that ian as I do really think it's an opertunity to reconcile . And who knows maybe next year to the gold cup /gold medal race together , yes there are hurdles to get over , but if members are serious about one national then IMHO this is a first step .

It was sad the split occurred but I have saw guys come back to the snfc or others joining the snrpc. Don't think there is the same feelings of hate anymore especially in the west.

Correct frank think now is the time eh?

A Notice was put in both BHW & RP of the request from the people of Ypres that SNFC organise a memorial race in 2014, together with all the reasons for going there (WW1). The Notice featured prominently in the Memorial pages of both papers in Nov 13, and was an invitation to all Organisations in Britain to put Ypres on their race calender for July 2014. Several have expressed interest, including those all along our borders, and in Wales, but I do not have full details at present.

So yes, SNRPC has been invited, as have all the Scottish Federations that don't normally go to Ypres.

YPRES World War 1 MEMORIAL RACE 2014

T HE SCOTTISH NATIONAL FLYING CLUB ( SNFC ) HAVE BEEN ASKED BY THE TOWNSPEOPLE OF IEPER ( YPRES ) BELGIUM TO ORGANISE A COMMEMORATIVE RACE FROM THEIR TOWN TO MARK THE CENTENARY OF THE START OF WORLD WAR 1. THE 3 BATTLES OF YPRES WHICH INCLUDED PASSCHENDALE WERE FIERCE, INTENSE AND VITAL STRATEGIC BATTLES BY THE ALLIES TO SECURE THE HIGHER GROUND AREAS AROUND YPRES THAT CONTROLLED THE ROUTES AND SUPPLY LINES TO THE BATTLE FIELD AND THE CHANNEL PORTS. MORE THAN 300,000 BRITISH AND COMMONWEALTH SOLDIERS WERE KILLED IN THE CONFLICT.

The SNFC has forged a strong relationship with Ypres – a British& Commonwealth War Cemetery town and the site of the famous Menin Gate War Memorial. The Ypres race has already been well established in our annual race programme since the 5th of July 2008, and has proved to be an excellent race point. There is no limit on the numbers of pigeons that can be liberated at any one time and at 402 mls to Eyemouth in the south east of Scotland and 420 mls to Stranraer in the south west of Scotland, it is a one day race. You are also assured of a very warm welcome by the officials and members of the town.

The history of the bond between pigeons and man has already been well documented. “No other bird has had such a great link with man, nor been so useful to him in so many ways … The pigeon’s record as messengers in time of war is a moving and little known epic. Scattered references describe the many feats of bravery and endurance which were performed by these brave birds…†( The Pigeon in History by Jean Hansell, 1998, Millstream Books )

During the second battle of Ypres ( 1915 ) pigeons carried reports from the front line to Brigade HQ. Two pigeon Corps were established and by the end of the year there were 15 pigeon stations on the Western Front each with a pigeon fancier handler and 4 pigeons. They were so successful with a 95% message delivery rate in the heat of battle that many more pigeons were added to the service. At the outbreak of WW1 the British, unlike its European Allies, had no established military pigeon lofts. By the end of the WW1 British pigeon fanciers had given 100,000 racing pigeons to the war effort. ( At the outbreak of WW2, despite improved telecommunications, thousands of pigeons were also given by British pigeon fanciers to the National Pigeon Service, and during that war 32 racing pigeons won the Dickin Medal, the animal equivalent of the Victoria Cross, more than any other animal group.

Philip Noakes Director Northern Europe Area of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission ( CWGC ) said to us in Ypres in 2008 that he hoped we would continue to pay honour to our War Dead and make the race an annual event. This has been achieved. Our hope is that by 2014 – the 100TH anniversary of World War 1 – many thousands of the “Doves of Peace†from all parts of the British Isles will be liberated in the skies of Ypres in tribute to our War Dead. This echoes Churchill’s sentiments after the Great War:-

“I should like us to acquire the whole of the ruins of Ypres… A more sacred place for the British race does not exist in the worldâ€. Speech, Winston Churchill, Minister of War, January 1919, recorded in Flanders Fields Museum Ypres.

Although the UK did not declare war on Germany until the 4th August 1914, the official outbreak took place on the 28th July 1914. Since all the countries involved in World War 1 plan to commemorate the 4th August 1914 with memorial centenary celebrations at the Menin Gate in Ypres on the 4th August 2014 only the first three Saturdays in July 2014 namely the 5th, 12th or 19th appear to be suitable for a mass liberation at these times. The worlds media will also be present in the weeks leading up to the memorial centenary celebrations so such a race is an ideal opportunity to showcase homing pigeons and pigeon racing as a fundamental part of our heritage and a cultural tradition enjoyed by many that knows no age, gender , race or social barriers. Such a race will reconnect the past with the present making more people aware of the role pigeons and pigeon fanciers played during both World wars, the true identity and character of the pigeons housed in the many pigeon lofts throughout Britain and the fanciers who keep and tend to them all year round. It will be a testimony to the fact that the sport of pigeon racing is still alive and active.

Pigeons are essentially symbols of peace and liberating many thousands of racing pigeons at Ypres at this time would be a fitting memorial and a memorable sight. Our objective is to encourage as many pigeon organizations as possible to participate in a memorial race tribute by our “doves of peace†to all who lost their lives in WW1 especially the thousands of British and Commonwealth soldiers in the terrible battles which occurred around Ypres. By liberating as many “doves of peace†as we can, we also pay tribute to and identify with our forebears - those many British fanciers who donated their best pigeons to the war effort 100 years ago.

Our contact and friend in Ypres is a successful and highly respected business man in the town of Ypres namely Stefan Van Moerbeke. Stefan is a pigeon fancier and also a race controller and has been an outstanding asset in the success of our races from Ypres .He has the total support of the council and Authorities in Ypres for the memorial race. Stefan’s contact details can be acquired via our secretary Andrew Garven tel. no. 01236 830253

Scottish National Flying Club Sub Committee for the Memorial Ypres Race 2014 Dr PP Lynch chair, Ian Brown John Houston

SNFC WORLD WAR 1 MEMORIAL AND WREATH LAYING VISIT AT THE MENIN GATE YPRES JULY 2014

Everyone will appreciate the importance of having all the arrangements in place early. At this stage, the plan is to travel by coach from Central Scotland on Thursday 24th July 2014 to Hull ( approx. 3.5 hrs ) for the ferry crossing to Zeebrugge arriving Friday the 25th July. We will then travel by coach from Zeebrugge to Ypres ( approx. 1.5 hrs ) and book into our hotel the ARIANE in the centre of Ypres for our 3 day Bed/Breakfast accommodation.

Saturday and Sunday we will visit the war graves. At the request of the citizens of Ypres a memorial wreath will be laid by the President of the SNFC at the official wreath laying and memorial service at 8 pm on the Sunday night at the world famous Menin Gate Memorial Monument in Ypres. On Monday morning we return home.

We have booked 19 twin rooms and 2 single rooms at the ARIANE HOTEL . The tariff is 119 Euros per twin room per night i.e. 357 Euros per twin room for 3 nights – B/B. - N.B. Some of our rooms have already been booked, fanciers are advised to book with us early. The terms of our booking are : -

1)- Deposit to book - £50 per person.

2) - 25% of total cost to be paid 3 months before the event. i.e. before 24th April 2014

3) -100% in full 14 days before departure. i.e. before 10th July 2014

Coach and Ferry costs to be added in due course later

SNFC - SUB COMMITTEE - YPRES Memorial Race/visit Dr PP Lynch chair, Ian Brown John Houston

Is the above. copy pasted from the snfc website, the invitation or was there another invitation sent out in a letter? I do not see the word invitation or anything suggesting an invitation within this article. It maybe that I do not fully grasp the content. If so I apologise for my limitations.

A Notice was put in both BHW & RP of the request from the people of Ypres that SNFC organise a memorial race in 2014, together with all the reasons for going there (WW1). The Notice featured prominently in the Memorial pages of both papers in Nov 13, and was an invitation to all Organisations in Britain to put Ypres on their race calender for July 2014. Several have expressed interest, including those all along our borders, and in Wales, but I do not have full details at present.

So yes, SNRPC has been invited, as have all the Scottish Federations that don't normally go to Ypres.

does this mean that RPRA members can compete in the yrpes race this year?

YPRES World War 1 MEMORIAL RACE 2014

T HE SCOTTISH NATIONAL FLYING CLUB ( SNFC ) HAVE BEEN ASKED BY THE TOWNSPEOPLE OF IEPER ( YPRES ) BELGIUM TO ORGANISE A COMMEMORATIVE RACE FROM THEIR TOWN TO MARK THE CENTENARY OF THE START OF WORLD WAR 1. THE 3 BATTLES OF YPRES WHICH INCLUDED PASSCHENDALE WERE FIERCE, INTENSE AND VITAL STRATEGIC BATTLES BY THE ALLIES TO SECURE THE HIGHER GROUND AREAS AROUND YPRES THAT CONTROLLED THE ROUTES AND SUPPLY LINES TO THE BATTLE FIELD AND THE CHANNEL PORTS. MORE THAN 300,000 BRITISH AND COMMONWEALTH SOLDIERS WERE KILLED IN THE CONFLICT.

The SNFC has forged a strong relationship with Ypres – a British& Commonwealth War Cemetery town and the site of the famous Menin Gate War Memorial. The Ypres race has already been well established in our annual race programme since the 5th of July 2008, and has proved to be an excellent race point. There is no limit on the numbers of pigeons that can be liberated at any one time and at 402 mls to Eyemouth in the south east of Scotland and 420 mls to Stranraer in the south west of Scotland, it is a one day race. You are also assured of a very warm welcome by the officials and members of the town.

The history of the bond between pigeons and man has already been well documented. “No other bird has had such a great link with man, nor been so useful to him in so many ways … The pigeon’s record as messengers in time of war is a moving and little known epic. Scattered references describe the many feats of bravery and endurance which were performed by these brave birds…†( The Pigeon in History by Jean Hansell, 1998, Millstream Books )

During the second battle of Ypres ( 1915 ) pigeons carried reports from the front line to Brigade HQ. Two pigeon Corps were established and by the end of the year there were 15 pigeon stations on the Western Front each with a pigeon fancier handler and 4 pigeons. They were so successful with a 95% message delivery rate in the heat of battle that many more pigeons were added to the service. At the outbreak of WW1 the British, unlike its European Allies, had no established military pigeon lofts. By the end of the WW1 British pigeon fanciers had given 100,000 racing pigeons to the war effort. ( At the outbreak of WW2, despite improved telecommunications, thousands of pigeons were also given by British pigeon fanciers to the National Pigeon Service, and during that war 32 racing pigeons won the Dickin Medal, the animal equivalent of the Victoria Cross, more than any other animal group.

Philip Noakes Director Northern Europe Area of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission ( CWGC ) said to us in Ypres in 2008 that he hoped we would continue to pay honour to our War Dead and make the race an annual event. This has been achieved. Our hope is that by 2014 – the 100TH anniversary of World War 1 – many thousands of the “Doves of Peace†from all parts of the British Isles will be liberated in the skies of Ypres in tribute to our War Dead. This echoes Churchill’s sentiments after the Great War:-

“I should like us to acquire the whole of the ruins of Ypres… A more sacred place for the British race does not exist in the worldâ€. Speech, Winston Churchill, Minister of War, January 1919, recorded in Flanders Fields Museum Ypres.

Although the UK did not declare war on Germany until the 4th August 1914, the official outbreak took place on the 28th July 1914. Since all the countries involved in World War 1 plan to commemorate the 4th August 1914 with memorial centenary celebrations at the Menin Gate in Ypres on the 4th August 2014 only the first three Saturdays in July 2014 namely the 5th, 12th or 19th appear to be suitable for a mass liberation at these times. The worlds media will also be present in the weeks leading up to the memorial centenary celebrations so such a race is an ideal opportunity to showcase homing pigeons and pigeon racing as a fundamental part of our heritage and a cultural tradition enjoyed by many that knows no age, gender , race or social barriers. Such a race will reconnect the past with the present making more people aware of the role pigeons and pigeon fanciers played during both World wars, the true identity and character of the pigeons housed in the many pigeon lofts throughout Britain and the fanciers who keep and tend to them all year round. It will be a testimony to the fact that the sport of pigeon racing is still alive and active.

Pigeons are essentially symbols of peace and liberating many thousands of racing pigeons at Ypres at this time would be a fitting memorial and a memorable sight. Our objective is to encourage as many pigeon organizations as possible to participate in a memorial race tribute by our “doves of peace†to all who lost their lives in WW1 especially the thousands of British and Commonwealth soldiers in the terrible battles which occurred around Ypres. By liberating as many “doves of peace†as we can, we also pay tribute to and identify with our forebears - those many British fanciers who donated their best pigeons to the war effort 100 years ago.

Our contact and friend in Ypres is a successful and highly respected business man in the town of Ypres namely Stefan Van Moerbeke. Stefan is a pigeon fancier and also a race controller and has been an outstanding asset in the success of our races from Ypres .He has the total support of the council and Authorities in Ypres for the memorial race. Stefan’s contact details can be acquired via our secretary Andrew Garven tel. no. 01236 830253

Scottish National Flying Club Sub Committee for the Memorial Ypres Race 2014 Dr PP Lynch chair, Ian Brown John Houston

SNFC WORLD WAR 1 MEMORIAL AND WREATH LAYING VISIT AT THE MENIN GATE YPRES JULY 2014

Everyone will appreciate the importance of having all the arrangements in place early. At this stage, the plan is to travel by coach from Central Scotland on Thursday 24th July 2014 to Hull ( approx. 3.5 hrs ) for the ferry crossing to Zeebrugge arriving Friday the 25th July. We will then travel by coach from Zeebrugge to Ypres ( approx. 1.5 hrs ) and book into our hotel the ARIANE in the centre of Ypres for our 3 day Bed/Breakfast accommodation.

Saturday and Sunday we will visit the war graves. At the request of the citizens of Ypres a memorial wreath will be laid by the President of the SNFC at the official wreath laying and memorial service at 8 pm on the Sunday night at the world famous Menin Gate Memorial Monument in Ypres. On Monday morning we return home.

We have booked 19 twin rooms and 2 single rooms at the ARIANE HOTEL . The tariff is 119 Euros per twin room per night i.e. 357 Euros per twin room for 3 nights – B/B. - N.B. Some of our rooms have already been booked, fanciers are advised to book with us early. The terms of our booking are : -

1)- Deposit to book - £50 per person.

2) - 25% of total cost to be paid 3 months before the event. i.e. before 24th April 2014

3) -100% in full 14 days before departure. i.e. before 10th July 2014

Coach and Ferry costs to be added in due course later

SNFC - SUB COMMITTEE - YPRES Memorial Race/visit Dr PP Lynch chair, Ian Brown John Houston

Is the above. copy pasted from the snfc website, the invitation or was there another invitation sent out in a letter? I do not see the word invitation or anything suggesting an invitation within this article. It maybe that I do not fully grasp the content. If so I apologise for my limitations.

This is above my head,what does it mean. :emoticon-0138-thinking: :emoticon-0138-thinking: :emoticon-0138-thinking:

Do you not think it is silent because folk aren't interested any more in this politics lark,I was a member off the Snrpc as with the Snfc but you have to ask your selfs a couple off questions,why did 2 top fanciers in the west section come back to the Snfc if smaller birdage is better and also these fanciers have went on 2 win a gold cup west section averages and credit for there performances up and down the country,and why also is the Snrpc national winners not in the back off the classic section off the squills year books,a shame in a way as one of my good friends put up one off the greatest performances in the club,there is only one gold cup and there's only one gold globe and there's only one Snfc,you will find that the Snfc send the bigger birdage so there in the driving seat. Best off luck to members off all clubs in the 2014 season. S irving jnr

To many agreeds and WE,WEs in this post JTFT IS ON THE SWALLY.Is it The 6th or the 12th and if it was passed at the LF AGM THAT WE GO WITH THE SNFC then its carried.

Decision to go with SNFC was based on the assumption that they would race on the first SATURDAY in July like every other year. If they move we then go alone on the 5th which was the motion. The riders only come into it if all remains the same with the National

does this mean that RPRA members can compete in the yrpes race this year?

It was felt the quickest way to get it up and running in 2014 was for each organisation to organise its own race - open only to its own members. So only members of SNFC will compete in SNFC Ypres Race, but that doesn't stop us joint convoying with anyone else that wants to go, e.g. Federations like Lanarkshire or Cumbria or UNC who go there to compete in their own race, but as a joint liberation Commemorative race.

Decision to go with SNFC was based on the assumption that they would race on the first SATURDAY in July like every other year. If they move we then go alone on the 5th which was the motion. The riders only come into it if all remains the same with the National

thanks for that george at last someone who agrees with what i have been saying in my last posts on here :emoticon-0137-clapping: :emoticon-0137-clapping: :emoticon-0137-clapping: :emoticon-0137-clapping: :emoticon-0137-clapping:

That's the way I also see it

It was felt the quickest way to get it up and running in 2014 was for each organisation to organise its own race - open only to its own members. So only members of SNFC will compete in SNFC Ypres Race, but that doesn't stop us joint convoying with anyone else that wants to go, e.g. Federations like Lanarkshire or Cumbria or UNC who go there to compete in their own race, but as a joint liberation Commemorative race.

Ian

As a British citizen and proud Scot I am truly appreciative of the sacrifices made by our soldiers and fore fathers during WW1 and fully support the concept of a commemorative race to mark the centenary of this terrible conflict, I also support the actions of the SNFC as far as attending the memorial ceremony and the laying of a wreath at the Menin Gate during July 2014.

However, as a pigeon fancier I am not keen on single mass liberation of pigeons at Ypres on either July 5th or 12th 2014 as IMHO this is a recipe for a disaster and could be counter productive as far SNFC entries are concerned. Obviously at this stage I have no idea of the organisations who would like to be involved but if these were to include entries from Southern England, Northern England, Wales , Ireland, and Scotland then I can just imagine the chaos and confusion that this would create with all of these birds trying to clear and then break in different directions, it would also be a race controllers nightmare trying to get a favourable weather forecast and liberation to suit all the participating organisations, as I understand it their could also be planned TV coverage of this which only brings additional pressure to get the birds liberated, in support of this you only have to look at what happened at the RPRA centenary race in 1997 where only a few thousand birds returned from approx 60 thousand and it was cited that the decision to liberate was heavily influenced by the fact that TV crews were about to withdraw because a liberation on the scheduled day at the planned time could not be effected, a monumental disaster where many champion pigeons never returned and from which many lofts took years to recover. Having considered this my view is that by all means let organisations have their commemorative races from Ypres but a single mass liberation should not be on the agenda for this event.

Whilst we are on the subject of pigeons , doves, and olive branches being symbols of peace, then in relation to asking the SNRPC to participate in this event my thoughts are that the SNFC should , formally, in writing, ask them if they wish to participate as part of any Scottish contingent taking part in this proposed race, now that would be a fine gesture of goodwill and could be instrumental in a truce being called between both clubs. JMOHO.

Davie

Ian

As a British citizen and proud Scot I am truly appreciative of the sacrifices made by our soldiers and fore fathers during WW1 and fully support the concept of a commemorative race to mark the centenary of this terrible conflict, I also support the actions of the SNFC as far as attending the memorial ceremony and the laying of a wreath at the Menin Gate during July 2014.

However, as a pigeon fancier I am not keen on single mass liberation of pigeons at Ypres on either July 5th or 12th 2014 as IMHO this is a recipe for a disaster and could be counter productive as far SNFC entries are concerned. Obviously at this stage I have no idea of the organisations who would like to be involved but if these were to include entries from Southern England, Northern England, Wales , Ireland, and Scotland then I can just imagine the chaos and confusion that this would create with all of these birds trying to clear and then break in different directions, it would also be a race controllers nightmare trying to get a favourable weather forecast and liberation to suit all the participating organisations, as I understand it their could also be planned TV coverage of this which only brings additional pressure to get the birds liberated, in support of this you only have to look at what happened at the RPRA centenary race in 1997 where only a few thousand birds returned from approx 60 thousand and it was cited that the decision to liberate was heavily influenced by the fact that TV crews were about to withdraw because a liberation on the scheduled day at the planned time could not be effected, a monumental disaster where many champion pigeons never returned and from which many lofts took years to recover. Having considered this my view is that by all means let organisations have their commemorative races from Ypres but a single mass liberation should not be on the agenda for this event.

Whilst we are on the subject of pigeons , doves, and olive branches being symbols of peace, then in relation to asking the SNRPC to participate in this event my thoughts are that the SNFC should , formally, in writing, ask them if they wish to participate as part of any Scottish contingent taking part in this proposed race, now that would be a fine gesture of goodwill and could be instrumental in a truce being called between both clubs. JMOHO.

Davie

Great post with some proper common sense Davie. :partick-thistle-Crest: