Are We Softer On Pigeons Today Than Fanciers Of Yesteryear

W.D.

Taken this header from another site. After the season you guys have had what's your opinion?

Quite regular to double up from alencon back to falaise 2 weeks later but although they were in good nick felt I needed to protect them. On the other hand in years gone by channel birds had maybe 2/3 races before the water now they go most weeks up to 3 weeks before

I would say 100% softer. In days gone bye all the dirt that turned in outside race time was composted so they couldnt breed more dirt that drop when they hit bit old rough day . We used to keep and breed of only the best ones even if it was only a few pairs. Young birds allowed 2 mistakes after that compost . Now they are welcomed home weeks latter with its there to race another day being accepted . The quality is not as good now i dont think as we keep dirt our fore fathers wouldnt have tolerated.

Winners are just as hard on their doos as they were 30yrs ago.

The guys who "get a turn" (me) aren't as hard on theirs as the guys who top the sheet on a regular basis.

The guys who never get a turn have Pets.

So for me there has been little change since the 70's & 80's. Jmo

Winners are just as hard on their doos as they were 30yrs ago.

The guys who "get a turn" (me) aren't as hard on theirs as the guys who top the sheet on a regular basis.

The guys who never get a turn have Pets.

So for me there has been little change since the 70's & 80's. Jmo

More pets nowadays.

From a personal perspective

Todays Racing cannot be compared to the glory years of the 70's

Its a completely different game ,viruses falcons ,losses

First year since I started in 1972 that I have not raced youngsters

They will be privately trained in small groups

Keeping things as stress free as possible for both pigeon and fancier

All our top pigeons over the last few years have been latebreds or birds that only had one race as youngsters

As the Bob Marley song said

The Times They are a Changing

Nobody had stock doos in the early 80's is your answer.

Really Peter? Were all the Doos you bought from Eddie in the 70s raced?

Lol

Can remember being at big Tan Ogilvies in the 70s, and he had plenty. Ask Norrie, he had to scrape them oot!

Would say 2 things ... Stock Lofts were a rarity until the mid, late 80's, especially for the back garden lofts. A fact.

Yes we are far far, too molley - coddling too, and for our birds ... much to their' costs. A start to a downward slope, which continues every more so every year!

Things like 'What 187 miles ...no way am I sending there with my youngsters'.

Pigeons use to HAVE to earn a perch, let alone a nest bow. Times when 12 pairs was akin to becoming a 'Mobb Flyer'.

Now too many are breeding inferior pigeons via relying on numbers against losses!

Fact is, when I was in Canada, y/bs were sent up to 500 miles BACK to Back weeks. Yes and losses weren't / aren't great!

I've sent 479 mile and had them back in very good time in a REALLY bad weather! Fact!

Eddie New, whatever his name was stated a very wise and good reality when he stated in 'Scotland's Own', 'I use to hold up the List above me! Yes I spent well and listen and thought I'd take a leave out of the so called 'Great Fanciers'. Names and money did nowt!

I one winter I decided that they earn a perch. Show a want to be in the loft! If not happy they could go else where! I made a present to any one reporting my birds! After the winter I had a lot less pigeons. BUT they proved first off that they wanted to be there!

Next season I moved up the ladder. Youngsters started to show well and win some. I stuck with that till I became a good and respected fancier.

P.s. If your pigeons don't care / want to hurry home... then there is no motivation in the world that will alter that!

We had Frankie George, - Masserealla etc after Logan here abouts.

Frankie Paid- like louellar world record prices for pigeons. Yes Frankie had large lofts with managers in different locations and feds.

One would see the railways platform full of pigeons going to China etc.

But I'll tell straight and for a fact NO stray bird of his ever got back in the loft!

For instance - and this shows the difference between my dad - who couldn't fly a kite, and his managers. When a stray came into our loft of Frankie's Horace came and collected it. Usual price was 3/6p about 17 pence. He gave my dad 10 bob (50p) and the bird went into the dustbin. Horace too as my dad grabbed him by the throat and state 'I never do that to any pigeon, especially so if the kids are about'!

THEY weren't molly coddled. They had to earn a perch, let alone a nest box! Nopw what he sold.... well that might have been .... who knows, BUT one from a stray was NEVER sold! Maybe the parents that didn't excell in the stock lofts... :emoticon-0127-lipssealed:

Gary Edmunds, a wizard and best flyer I've ever known. Took no prisoners. Said and did. Y/bs being generous One chuck 20 miles. If they can't do that, then I've lost nothing. If they can do 20 miles, then they can do 50 miles, if not ... Then they can fly from any where.

Old birds would be lucky if they ever got a training toss. Maybe one more of 20 miles in their life time.

No prisoners. A Lerwick fed winner dropped in a loft in Middlesbrough next season1 Fancier phoned him on the Sat night. 'Will youi let it up on Wednesday please says Gary. 'Will it make it' asked he. Yep says Gary. Wednesday Night straight into the loft and picked it up ... Never went any where else.

We waste time and money taking training leaps of a few miles further, some 2 - 3 times same place as they work up the road a piece systematically losing them each week. Why!

Really Peter? Were all the Doos you bought from Eddie in the 70s raced?

Lol

Can remember being at big Tan Ogilvies in the 70s, and he had plenty. Ask Norrie, he had to scrape them oot!

All the youngsters were, and any older birds were broken and put on the road with the exception of 2 which had been injured. As regards the Ogilvie loft in Cambusbarron their were plenty stock birds with the amount he sold and we could still beat him with our back garden loft flying a fraction of the amount he sent but it was hard work. LOL.

Guest johnhunter

Gary Edmunds, a wizard and best flyer I've ever known. Took no prisoners. Said and did. Y/bs being generous One chuck 20 miles. If they can't do that, then I've lost nothing. If they can do 20 miles, then they can do 50 miles, if not ... Then they can fly from any where.

Old birds would be lucky if they ever got a training toss. Maybe one more of 20 miles in their life time.

No prisoners. A Lerwick fed winner dropped in a loft in Middlesbrough next season1 Fancier phoned him on the Sat night. 'Will youi let it up on Wednesday please says Gary. 'Will it make it' asked he. Yep says Gary. Wednesday Night straight into the loft and picked it up ... Never went any where else.

We waste time and money taking training leaps of a few miles further, some 2 - 3 times same place as they work up the road a piece systematically losing them each week. Why!

a bit far fetched even for you ROLAND lol

Previously if a pigeon was ill we binned it.

Now we tend to patch it up unless it is terminal.

The studs patch them up to sell in winter once they have fully moulted.

Youngsters which look poorly in a racing loft never see daylight. Poorly youngsters bred in a stud are allowed to complete a full moult then sold when they look good with their new jacket on. However, the weakness will always be there.

Previously if a pigeon was ill we binned it.

Now we tend to patch it up unless it is terminal.

The studs patch them up to sell in winter once they have fully moulted.

Youngsters which look poorly in a racing loft never see daylight. Poorly youngsters bred in a stud are allowed to complete a full moult then sold when they look good with their new jacket on. However, the weakness will always be there.

They go into the breed earlier but to badly fretted back then sales .

From a personal perspective

Todays Racing cannot be compared to the glory years of the 70's

Its a completely different game ,viruses falcons ,losses

First year since I started in 1972 that I have not raced youngsters

They will be privately trained in small groups

Keeping things as stress free as possible for both pigeon and fancier

All our top pigeons over the last few years have been latebreds or birds that only had one race as youngsters

As the Bob Marley song said

The Times They are a Changing

Some truth there.

Todays Racing cannot be compared to the glory years of the 70's .... Says it all ... Never liked Bob Dylan's The Times They are a Changing

Never heard Bob Marley's version.

Only reason that they change is because of us ... and sadly not for the betterment eh!