Disappointed With The J Murphy Column

lanarkshire lad

peter the bovingdon race 2010, the winner was doing 1377, the last doo in the open result 526th 1165 vel. also there were 6 section winners. the 6th section winner was 33rd open.

As Peter says ...........Fookin tough for the east coast. ......he should get his self a move tae easy street lol

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

peter the bovingdon race 2010, the winner was doing 1377, the last doo in the open result 526th 1165 vel. also there were 6 section winners. the 6th section winner was 33rd open.

The watering must have help then

Guest Hey Presto

Reading the Joe Murphy column in the BHW I must say I was very disappointed with Joe's comments regarding the SNFC races it seems to me he does not give credit where credit is due!. The SNFC had a great 2015 racing season one of the best that I can remember with great races from Alencon Ancenis and Clermont and had two great races from inland race points Eastbourne and Portsmouth what more does he want?? and all these good races were achieved using wicker baskets and a real good bed of shavings IMO the best mode of transport for the long haul. WHY does Joe think that by going in a Geraldy transporter would be an improvement? The SNFC got it right this year IMO with there races so a BIG WELL DONE TO ALL CONCERNED and I hope this year is much the same.

Well said pal I had a great year don t like the tin boxes

Ayrshire North Road have grill fitted to all the crates. Wooden frame mesh grills. They are not messy when removed to replace the papers. A lot of good points being raised here and even though we don't race distance, it is good to know that we have moved in the correct direction in regard to crate hygiene and watering.

We have noted that the heat in the trailer can be a problem. This shall be further monitored during 2016, but our 2015 solution is for the conveyer to open the curtains on arrival at the race point for a period of one hour to allow a full change of air / heat dissipation before closing them for the evening. He opens them again for an hour in the morning and the pigeons are given water for a full hour before liberation is allowed. :)

Ayrshire North Road have grill fitted to all the crates. Wooden frame mesh grills. They are not messy when removed to replace the papers. A lot of good points being raised here and even though we don't race distance, it is good to know that we have moved in the correct direction in regard to crate hygiene and watering.

We have noted that the heat in the trailer can be a problem. This shall be further monitored during 2016, but our 2015 solution is for the conveyer to open the curtains on arrival at the race point for a period of one hour to allow a full change of air / heat dissipation before closing them for the evening. He opens them again for an hour in the morning and the pigeons are given water for a full hour before liberation is allowed. :)

As you say your system is not for distance. like the wicker one, when it can be warm at 6am .but. Birds can't get away for a hour as the channel has fog or mist, and the heat increeses. The longer they wait. With having no aircond You are handicaping the birds. And the spor,t the problem with the Scottish big nat they own nothing ,but depend on the fife fed to bail them out. And there. Case is ,they only. Have. Wicker. Baskets. And. Big trailer So. No. Change there. Then. Only hope there is it ain't to hot and. There is. Plenty. Cool water. About

As you say your system is not for distance. like the wicker one, when it can be warm at 6am .but. Birds can't get away for a hour as the channel has fog or mist, and the heat increeses. The longer they wait. With having no aircond You are handicaping the birds. And the spor,t the problem with the Scottish big nat they own nothing ,but depend on the fife fed to bail them out. And there. Case is ,they only. Have. Wicker. Baskets. And. Big trailer So. No. Change there. Then. Only hope there is it ain't to hot and. There is. Plenty. Cool water. About

Danny I have difficulty understanding where you are coming from? Last year the SNFC were at Eastbourne (ypres substitute) on a very hot weekend with wicker baskets and had a great race your comments baffle me?

Made to measure would be tricky, getting them in and out. as for cleaning them would also be a job .and a half .as all clubs don't have secondery baskets , the doo men at present ,in the Lanarkshire fed ain't to chuffed at not getting there own baskets back ,so cleaning other doo men's sh** from grills could cause more trouble than its worth.health wise and effort

allways get own baskets back if they bought them plus there red lettered dublicate baskets belonging to fed bigda ,geraldy have grills to fit there baskets

I have also heard this opinion expressed by other leading fanciers. The thought being that they support each other in transit.

I personally think less is more, it'sa transporter wwith a responsible driver, not a rally car zooming down the road. And birds are built for rapid unpredictable moment. They sit in trees in the middle of the worst storms and survive. Jmo

allways get own baskets back if they bought them plus there red lettered dublicate baskets belonging to fed bigda ,geraldy have grills to fit there baskets

if they use grills we have handicapped the birds once more as those cases are only 11 inch tall at best, height is to help from getting a peck in the eye so grills. Don't. Help

Danny I have difficulty understanding where you are coming from? Last year the SNFC were at Eastbourne (ypres substitute) on a very hot weekend with wicker baskets and had a great race your comments baffle me?

Yes the birds where up early that day ,and the Lanarkshire fed sat on there hands for 2 or 3 races going nowhere with state. Of the art transporters gathering dust, following. Fools. Gold. trying to. Win. The. National. Into a westerly. Area. The Lanarkshire. Don't. Need to be, the tail that wags the dog at present.

I have also heard this opinion expressed by other leading fanciers. The thought being that they support each other in transit.

Not many top fanciers would think such a thing Robert.imo. You shouldn't even over pack your birds into a basket going to the club for a 2 minute journey?? For gods sake, space is paramount with any living thing.

I personally think less is more, it'sa transporter wwith a responsible driver, not a rally car zooming down the road. And birds are built for rapid unpredictable moment. They sit in trees in the middle of the worst storms and survive. Jmo

spot on, common sense. :emoticon-0137-clapping:

agree stephen rather be in a basket of 20 rather than bouncing about in basket of half a dozen

Come to fk John, :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle: Your sitting in your living room now typing that, would you be more relaxed ( happier ) if 5 other folk were in there with you or 2 fitba teams lol?