Natural

peter pandy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was a Thursday afternoon before the Fed Young Bird Open and I was admiring this Blue Pied Cock as he was going about all the Hens old and young looking for something to pair up to. The old Hens were off their eggs and Cocks sitting and was obviously desperate to tread and was not giving a toss whether the Hen was married or not and as his frustration grew so dis my hopes for a goos time from him on Saturday.

The doors were opened later for the evening fly and after they had excercised all they wanted they hit the house roof and mucked about as pigeons do.

They were brought in and fed the evening meal and as I sat there in the loft it became apparent the Blue Pied Cock was missing and checked to see if he was still outside. As I sat with my brother wondering where I had last seen him it came to me that I saw him on the chimney pot birling and sweeping his tail and my worst thought was that he could be down the chimney.

Now back then I lived in a 4 to the block and our house was the upstairs flat and I lost the toss of the coin to go out the skylight window and climb the 10 feet to the roof breast, on looking out the window I shouted down that their was no way I was going any further and my brother who was a carpenter shouted dont worry I will make you up a ladder to climb up the slates and just hook it over the roof breast. So he did, and I did, and pants required immediate removal as I did not really realise just how high it was, anyway I shimmied along to the Chimney and looked down to see the Blue Pied on a ledge 12 feet down. I gave my brother another shout and told him to sling a weight up to me using a fishing rod with the instruction that if the weight hit me I would brain him when I made terra firma again but on the first cast I luckily managed to catch the lump of lead and told him that in the shed he would find a hammer and cold chisel and at his leisure would he make his way into the attic.

Now this is the tricky bit as I lowered the lead to where the Blue Pied was sitting I started to gently swing the lead against the chimney brick and my brother pin pointed the brick that appeared to be what the lead was hitting and proceeded to chip the brick from the chimney. After what seemed a life time as my past had flashed in my brain on more than one occasion he made the breakthrugh and one loose brick went crashing down the chimney and knocked the electric fire to bits and it was the wrong brick as he was about two feet below the bird and had to take another brick out, fortunately enough this one ended up in the attic and he managed to grab the Blue Pied safely and will I manage to get myself down from the roof.

It was getting dark when the Fire Brigade arrived with a turntable ladder and rescued me.

As for the Blue Pied or Blacky Blue we could not make up our minds what colour to put down on the race sheet he was 1st Club Nom and Accumulator and 5th Open Fed with £100+.

Observation is the key word..

Cracking story Peter :emoticon-0136-giggle:

hi Peter

I see within the mix you feed you have a small amount of Barley and pellets in the hopper , I have found when I hopper feed mine they leave any barley in the mix in favour of the beans in the hopper can I ask do never have this problem do they eat the barley prior to the pellets?

hi Peter

I see within the mix you feed you have a small amount of Barley and pellets in the hopper , I have found when I hopper feed mine they leave any barley in the mix in favour of the beans in the hopper can I ask do never have this problem do they eat the barley prior to the pellets?

I have had this problem when reading reports so I will clarify.

HOPPER = Is a receptacle that can hold a large amount of feed. Mine can hold 100kg easily and only has one type of feed in it. ie Pellets.

TROUGH = Is a receptacle which takes perhaps 1kg of feed and sits on my floor and which I put mix into ensuring their is nothing left and is lifted and put away till next feeding time.

Confusion = When I read Alf Baker many years ago he said he fed in a hopper 60% Maples 40% Maize when in actual

fact it was in a trough. The difference would appear to be an English thing.

Four weeks to-day I will be pairing up so to-morrow I will half fill a vial with droppings from each section and shove a 5 inch cotton bud down four birds "one from each section" throats and wiggle them about at the bottom of the crop then send away for analysis from Belgica De Weerd. Any problems gives me ample time to sort it out although I am confident they are free from problems.

Their is a post regarding weak back pigeons which reminded me of an instance many years ago. I was standing in a queue at the Edinburgh Show in the Waverly station about maybe 45 years ago talking to Johnny Robertson of Jedburgh and he was inviting me down to his loft which I accepted and dates were fixed. In the same queue a chappie was eary wigging the conversation and later approached me to see if he could persuade me to take a look at his birds which he had introduced and I agreed to visit the following week. The guy's name was the late Tam Patterson from Pumpherson and we became very friendly over the years. However I digress as am wont to do, On approaching his loft he had empty baskets on the lawn and asked me to handle all the inmates and put what I liked in one basket and disliked in the other. An hour or two later his loft was empty and in the baskets. He asked what I thought so I said all that I disliked were only put their because they had a weak back and unbeknown to me I had picked every single bird he had purchased from a top English National Flier Named Aurther Munns from Chatteris. The other basket contained all his own birds which had done well inland but could not get them from across the pond so I told him to try and pair up a month later than normal which he did and they started to score from the distance. All the Munns pigeons were gone within two years due to being useless.

just so I understand Peter your birds have the pellets in the hopper 24/7 and the mixture in a trough fed to a set amount .

My question was do they clear the mix in the trough even all the barley as mine wouldn't clear the barley they would go back to the hopper of pellets when left with just the barley from the mixture. I understand that you feed a percentage of barley in the trough within the mix

just so I understand Peter your birds have the pellets in the hopper 24/7 and the mixture in a trough fed to a set amount .

My question was do they clear the mix in the trough even all the barley as mine wouldn't clear the barley they would go back to the hopper of pellets when left with just the barley from the mixture. I understand that you feed a percentage of barley in the trough within the mix

Neil, With pairing up in a month I have reduced the Barley in the mix to 10% and my total mix has been increased to 20 grams per bird. I weigh all my mix feed out, so 16 cocks are having 320 grams in total of mix in a trough and if they want more feed then the hopper of pellets is there for them. If they dont eat all the mix within 15 minutes I will reduce the mix by 5 grams so the birds would have a total of 240 grams of mix the next day and I am still only feeding once per day. Perhaps you are overfeeding the mix so try weighing it out exactly. It is not unusual in my loft for the birds to empty their trough then head for the hopper.

Neil, With pairing up in a month I have reduced the Barley in the mix to 10% and my total mix has been increased to 20 grams per bird. I weigh all my mix feed out, so 16 cocks are having 320 grams in total of mix in a trough and if they want more feed then the hopper of pellets is there for them. If they dont eat all the mix within 15 minutes I will reduce the mix by 5 grams so the birds would have a total of 240 grams of mix the next day and I am still only feeding once per day. Perhaps you are overfeeding the mix so try weighing it out exactly. It is not unusual in my loft for the birds to empty their trough then head for the hopper.

Hi Peter

I understand what you mean yet my birds will just not touch the Barley if the hopper is there even if I put just a few grams of mix in say 10 grams mix with 2-3 grams of barley in it they would still leave the barley or some of it

Hi Peter

I understand what you mean yet my birds will just not touch the Barley if the hopper is there even if I put just a few grams of mix in say 10 grams mix with 2-3 grams of barley in it they would still leave the barley or some of it

Same wae me. Am no worried

Well. You know the old saying "You can lead a horse to water etc." Me, if I was desperately determined they were having Barley I would close the lid on the hopper till what was in the trough was eaten. Pigeons are not ruling my system so they eat what and when I want them to. I just have to show them my yellow feed bucket and they are dropping out of the sky with the Hens vacating the aviary into their loft in anticipation which is how it should be.

ah , old age eh ? :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Andy, Perhaps you can answer my dillema !. When writing a post there are times I have to look elsewher to ascertain my facts are correct, Yesterday was one of those days and I did not post immediately and went looking for further information so was on another site for about 20 minutes. Would I be correct in assuming that if you have not typed any further for a certain period of time the post deletes itself ?.