Feeding

ken

hi dose any body feed there birds before you let them out.why im asking there is a lad on my allotment feeds his and iv never seen bird exsicise like them they go like the wind and for the hour no bother at all. some times longer they done it last year aswell and he was the top lifter.i don't no what he gives them but there going like that now.the condition of his birds are out standing

Guest snowy2011

I know alot of systems say feed on return to the loft but how much exercise would you do without breakfast?

But then again will they trap if you feed them befor?

No good if your needing to go to work.

Work things around you :emoticon-0157-sun: :emoticon-0157-sun:

iv seen his birds come back of a 300ml racing and win in a north wind.he lets the same birds out on a sunday and they fly like ybirds for an hour+ and this is not just one race its every race up to 350ml dosent matter on the wind

Guest TAMMY_1

play detective Ken , watch him like a hawk , what he does and what he carries with him in and out , where he shops for feed etc .

aye and he might get arrested for stalking :emoticon-0140-rofl: :emoticon-0140-rofl:

give them a light feed and they will fly better before you let them out and watch them go

Correct John hungry pigeons won't go as you say , give them some red band ,just a little about before you let them out is just fine plus they will trap for you for their dinner .

Birds lightly fed or slightly hungry will fly, as someone stated the secret is routine, the birds must know what is expected of them and if they get the same routine every day and the time flying is built up over a few weeks, they will be waiting to get a light feed then waiting to be let out and expect to be let out at the exact same time every day.

This goes for fed or unfed before being let out. Routine, Routine, Routine....

• 4 weeks later...

hi dose any body feed there birds before you let them out.why im asking there is a lad on my allotment feeds his and iv never seen bird exsicise like them they go like the wind and for the hour no bother at all. some times longer they done it last year aswell and he was the top lifter.i don't no what he gives them but there going like that now.the condition of his birds are out standing

Ken my birds have food in front of them 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Sometimes it's a job getting them to stop exercising once they get in race condition .

Edited by robbiedoo.

when our ybs start to fly strong i put a pole up with a bag on the end when i take it down I expect them to drop, this is difficult for a week or so but it is worth it, this stays with them for the rest of their lives, pole up = exercise, pole down = trap.................they too fly the skies out and I don't have to train old birds this way except about 5 x 8milers before season starts, pigeons are like any animal they are creatures of habit they will do exactly as you expect of them if they are rewarded for their efforts.

when our ybs start to fly strong i put a pole up with a bag on the end when i take it down I expect them to drop, this is difficult for a week or so but it is worth it, this stays with them for the rest of their lives, pole up = exercise, pole down = trap.................they too fly the skies out and I don't have to train old birds this way except about 5 x 8milers before season starts, pigeons are like any animal they are creatures of habit they will do exactly as you expect of them if they are rewarded for their efforts.

i do the samething m8 learn them when they are young and it stays with them