Pigeon Fanciers Lung

Delboy

A fancier from Edinburgh recently called me to thank me for advice I gave him regarding PFL. I'll give you the short version of the story, he called me 3 years ago reporting a pigeon of mine. He explained to me he was going to give up the sport as his PFL was so bad that he needed oxygen and that the hospital was really concerned about the state his lungs were in. I suggested vitamin D and C, but mainly vit D. He said to his doctor about having his vit D level checked and this was done. It turned out his reading was only 4 when it shouldve been 200. He was put on a double doze but his reading only went up to 50. They upped the dosage again and now, after attending the chest clinic at least once a month he had a letter through the post stating his chest was unbelievably better and he didnt need to attend the clinic for a year. He was ecstatic and phoned me up to thank me. He wears a 'press and check' mask and an overcoat in the loft but has no problems whatsoever with the PFL now. Please ask your doctor about a vitamin D check if you suffer from PFL.

Edited by Delboy

A fancier from Edinburgh recently called me to thank me for advice I gave him regarding PFL. I'll give you the short version of the story, he called me 3 years ago reporting a pigeon of mine. He explained to me he was going to give up the sport as his PFL was so bad that he needed oxygen and that the hospital was really concerned about the state his lungs were in. I suggested vitamin D and C, but mainly vit D. He said to his doctor about having his vit D level checked and this was done. It turned out his reading was only 4 when it shouldve been 200. He was put on a double doze but his reading only went up to 50. They upped the dosage again and now, after attending the chest clinic at least once a month he had a letter through the post stating his chest was unbelievably better and he didnt need to attend the clinic for a year. He was ecstatic and phoned me up to thank me. He wears a 'press and check' mask and an overcoat in the loft but has no problems whatsoever with the PFL now. Please ask your doctor about a vitamin D check if you suffer from PFL.

Every fanciers worst nightmare, so a good bit of advice there Derek :smiling-scarecrow-329:

Hi Derek

When my mother was ill the doctor said in the uk due to lack of sun we should take vit D everyday I asked what brand and he said they are all the same anyway I still take it but wondered if you recommend any particular brand or strength

Thank you

Hi Derek

When my mother was ill the doctor said in the uk due to lack of sun we should take vit D everyday I asked what brand and he said they are all the same anyway I still take it but wondered if you recommend any particular brand or strength

Thank you

Not sure what vitamin D brand is the best , I’ve started to take vit D3 as well as the normal vit D. I would say the more expensive ones are probably the best, yer doctor will advise.

• 2 weeks later...