Time For A Change.

Delboy

I've lost as much birds to sparrowhawk's as I have perigans so end of day there all the same the bast...s and things have to change that's the 1st thing that has to happen and back to original post it's definitely worth trying as doing nothing then wee are rearing more BOPs by feeding them it's that simple in my oppinion

Yes got what your saying but the reason we are trying to change is not because off sparrowhawk's that's something we can deal with by ourself this subject takes more than a trap to sort on a personal note I've lost none from sparrowhawk's in the past 5 years I wouldn't like to say how many we have lost to perrigrine's .hope we can sort something as its getting hard work for nothing.atb

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes got what your saying but the reason we are trying to change is not because off sparrowhawk's that's something we can deal with by ourself this subject takes more than a trap to sort on a personal note I've lost none from sparrowhawk's in the past 5 years I wouldn't like to say how many we have lost to perrigrine's .hope we can sort something as its getting hard work for nothing.atb

Correct Kevin.

Yes I know it's the perigans that's the biggest problem in racing terms I was just meaning I've lost a lot to sparrowhawk's to but my meaning is wee definitely need change as it will only get worse before wee no it the BOPs will be like the seagulls are now hundreds everywhere in the sky's above us which now isn't far away wae the amount wee have to deal with just now getting hit every few MLS in races

aye but sparrowhawk kills more round my loft than the local peregrines do and most don't have their birds out in November because of them

Easy cure for sparrowhawk's attacks when your birds have stopped exercising get them in the loft bar once a week when they bath .no more killings way sparrowhawk that's why I have had no attacks .back to try an solve this real problem.

its food for thought, get a survey on here derek, and find out all the pros and cons,i am always in favour of cutting out there main food source ,the less food the more territory they have to patrol and keep rivals away so less bop so later racing ideal, weather is better than ours has been so far good luck

its food for thought, get a survey on here derek, and find out all the pros and cons,i am always in favour of cutting out there main food source ,the less food the more territory they have to patrol and keep rivals away so less bop so later racing ideal, weather is better than ours has been so far good luck

That is a good point. If food is scarce because they have to eat smaller birds, pigeons off the menu, they will have to increase their ranges, thus chasing their YB's further away. They might cover more of the land, but the intensity of their populations would be less giving us a far better chance when racing. :)

I'm not sure a survey is needed m8, I think everyone knows a change is needed and is the only way forward without breaking the law.

have plans of stopping young bird racing and just have young bird training this will be put forward at agm this is the way forward in my eyes

Probs the best idea I've heard Tommy end of day the fed training went really well and I think most would agree with that as wee are just throwing our young birds away to the mouths of BOPs in young bird racing without a doubt

aye but sparrowhawk kills more round my loft than the local peregrines do and most don't have their birds out in November because of them

Any particular SH should kill 1 pigeon at most at your loft expletive remove

But on Dels point, we defo do need radical change in the game, especially with YBs

Anyone that thinks that not racing is going to make a difference to the Peregrine population is very much mistaken ! As iv stated before these birds are not going to suddenly curl up and die because there is no racing pigeons in the sky ! They will survive easily on a wide variety of prey species

Aye they may prey on other species but if our young birds are not racing then surely it's gives them a fighting chance as yearlings instead of feeding them to BOPs in young bird racing as it's been proven and definitely isn't going to get any better next year so surely as stated by someone else just fed train them end of day it's all about learning them for the future but everyone has their oppinions but it's the best idea I've heard till now and definitely the way forward in my eyes jmo

Anyone that thinks that not racing is going to make a difference to the Peregrine population is very much mistaken ! As iv stated before these birds are not going to suddenly curl up and die because there is no racing pigeons in the sky ! They will survive easily on a wide variety of prey species

He’s not proposing to stop racing just adjusting the season. Juvenile peregrines stay with the parents around a month after fledgling. And what months would that be? Less than a third last until breeding age.

Probs the best idea I've heard Tommy end of day the fed training went really well and I think most would agree with that as wee are just throwing our young birds away to the mouths of BOPs in young bird racing without a doubt

training or racing ,the bop dont see the difference it is still food for the table and more birds in training van, we only have big numbers on a race day, if training twice a week thats more big numbers and twice as many chances of losses, i have not lost a bird this season in y/bird training myself in small groups of 6 although im only educating them and little flights of 15miles, been to kelso 3 times so far and 7 missing in action but maybe not all down to bop the moult is also a big factor,they dont do so well without all there feathers.

Being one of the nearly 1850 viewers, thought I would put my tuppence in.

Some of the changes we've tried for whatever reason.

1. Changed routes, west to east. Initially made a difference, but now as bad as ever, if we are blaming the BOP problems.

2. Changing the day we race. Do you really think they know what day it is.

3. Painting eyes on the tails of the birds.

4. Letting of rockets before liberation. Maybe its like ringing the dinner bell!!!.

BOP are adaptable and need to eat, so starving them into submission will not work unless we keep all birds in for at least a full year period.

I am convinced that 2 or 3 BOP will turn a whole convoy of birds or push them down or up the wrong valley never to be seen again.

Undoubtedly BOP are a major problem for the pigeon fraternity. Sometimes some fanciers use that instead of looking in the mirror and seeing the real problem.

Are your birds fit and healthy, have they been properly schooled and basket trained, to mention a few.

A change is definitely needed but let's make sure the fundamentals are in place first.

This is my opinion and hopefully gives food for thought. Let's hear from the other 1800 viewers.

AW THE BESTanimatedpigeons.gif

Edited by flying fifer

Being one of the nearly 1850 viewers, thought I would put my tuppence in.

Some of the changes we've tried for whatever reason.

1. Changed routes, west to east. Initially made a difference, but now as bad as ever, if we are blaming the BOP problems.

2. Changing the day we race. Do you really think they know what day it is.

3. Painting eyes on the tails of the birds.

4. Letting of rockets before liberation. Maybe its like ringing the dinner bell!!!.

BOP are adaptable and need to eat, so starving them into submission will not work unless we keep all birds in for at least a full year period.

I am convinced that 2 or 3 BOP will turn a whole convoy of birds or push them down or up the wrong valley never to be seen again.

Undoubtedly BOP are a major problem for the pigeon fraternity. Sometimes some fanciers use that instead of looking in the mirror and seeing the real problem.

Are your birds fit and healthy, have they been properly schooled and basket trained, to mention a few.

A change is definitely needed but let's make sure the fundamentals are in place first.

This is my opinion and hopefully gives food for thought. Let's hear from the other 1800 viewers.

AW THE BESTanimatedpigeons.gif

Being a racer of Derek's calibre, I'm sure he was taking as given that the pigeons have to be fit and healthy as well as properly basket trained. Schooling is the very matter Derek is talking about. It is very difficult to school the pigeons and race them at the time we are so doing and as you confirm a change is definitely required. Just as we keep our pigeons fit and healthy and properly basket trained, we must continually look into that mirror and be sure that the one in the reflection is doing their part. Continual reflection is why the top fanciers are just that. They are continually checking to make sure they have it correct.

BOP is our major problem. Because of them, we are breeding more YB's than ever before. Is the quality as good as it has always been? I very much doubt this. We are breeding from the lucky pigeons that manage to return and we are hoping to breed more lucky pigeons for the future. The top fanciers have the quality as well as the lucky pigeons, thus the reason that they are the top fanciers. Are they still breeding too many?

If we accept that BOP is the main factor then any little tweak will have a positive effect even if only for a short time. We must continually adapt to force the BOP to continually adapt. This adaptation is a positive one in my limited view. :)

I do believe that a different lib site every other week - or weekly, would help a lot. The Percy etc. sit and wait at these Lib sites.

We had many write ups in the B/W about how bad it had got there!

Our club and fed debated it! Result… 'Carry on, e only go there 2 -3 times a year'! Then the lame excuse 'Same where ever you lib'!

Also 'Well PERCY will just wait up the road' etc.

Meaning … 'We don't care'! Further, very sadly SO, it speaks volumes about just how much too many fanciers ACTUALLY care about the welfare of their' BELOVED(SAD LOL) BIRDS AND THE TRUE EXTENT OF LOVE warranted!!

Change here has to start on sites and then at club level; We have to make a voice heard on our serious intent and change the wishy-washy cod's wallop put out as too often! Already history has shown it's been and IS a selfish cause in not changing!

P.s. there are also very many other facets besides the B.O.P problem. None which the fancier han'ts in the slightest interest/intent to change!

Edited by Roland

I do believe that a different lib site every other week - or weekly, would help a lot. The Percy etc. sit and wait at these Lib sites.

We had many write ups in the B/W about how bad it had got there!

Our club and fed debated it! Result… 'Carry on, e only go there 2 -3 times a year'! Then the lame excuse 'Same where ever you lib'!

Also 'Well PERCY will just wait up the road' etc.

Meaning … 'We don't care'! Further, very sadly SO, it speaks volumes about just how much too many fanciers ACTUALLY care about the welfare of their' BELOVED(SAD LOL) BIRDS AND THE TRUE EXTENT OF LOVE warranted!!

Change here has to start on sites and then at club level; We have to make a voice heard on our serious intent and change the wishy-washy cod's wallop put out as too often! Already history has shown it's been and IS a selfish cause in not changing!

P.s. there are also very many other facets besides the B.O.P problem. None which the fancier han'ts in the slightest interest/intent to change!

Let's deal with the biggest problem first an work our way down or we will be buried before we start