Snfc 500 Mile Racing 2017

alec guinness

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all the old reliable strains of birds that were capable of flying 500+ mmiles are gone maybe some left but fanciers started filling there lofts with inferior pigeons from belgium result we diluted the old hardy doos with the crap from belgium j.m.o

in my opinion for all its worth we need a total rethink on times of races do we start too early have nationals later in the year ? young birds and old birds racing together and most of all put an end to the self interest that pollutes the sport and put the pigeons first get race programmes that suit everyone not just a few there are so many things how many turn up on night of first race with vaccination sheets and say sign there ? many years back people saw the raptor problem and tried to get everyone together all you heard was never get bothered by the hawk well now we all do . take a season out but breed teams and clear the road just a thought

Should be round about the 550 into central belt in less and use boys In the Borders will have a ball .jmo

Think it's the opposite John. It doesn't get any easier for tired pigeons from the Solway up. The shorter the race,within reason mind,the better chance each area has of good open prizes and birds on the winning day. Spey Bay and ypres come to mind this year. Poppy ae Stuart Maskames in recent times. The Macaloneys and Blairs etc.

John Alston's ancenis bird was exceptional this season in the most difficult one yet,but look at the last few if you want to see a borders ball lol

Think it's the opposite John. It doesn't get any easier for tired pigeons from the Solway up. The shorter the race,within reason mind,the better chance each area has of good open prizes and birds on the winning day. Spey Bay and ypres come to mind this year. Poppy ae Stuart Maskames in recent times. The Macaloneys and Blairs etc.

John Alston's ancenis bird was exceptional this season in the most difficult one yet,but look at the last few if you want to see a borders ball lol

Lewis have you lost it just look at the results

Borders will clean it up if you bring it closer

expletive remove just look at this year .and remember this there was only 2 Nat races at very start Rennes and nantes the idea of the snfc was to promote long distance racing into Scotland ?

I am afraid Lewis you are looking for the easy option

I think it should be the opposite the shortest flyers should be flying 500 mls for the gold cup it is ment to be distance racing not sprinting for years I have tried and failed at 500 mls but not once have I thought making it shorter will make me a better fancier , it is hard losing some top birds but that is why it's what it is national racing .

Can't believe Snfc members on here are thinking this way .

Sort the Percy's first and foremost .

Money comes into it here ,the snfc need the income from federations ,there lies one problem ,inferior birds going the the best hardest races , I know their not allowed in the gold cup ,but in other races its part of fed programs .To me a national should be from over seas one at around 450 one around 500 and one around 550 to central belt , let the Feds take care inland races . Jmho .

I think it should be the opposite the shortest flyers should be flying 500 mls for the gold cup it is ment to be distance racing not sprinting for years I have tried and failed at 500 mls but not once have I thought making it shorter will make me a better fancier , it is hard losing some top birds but that is why it's what it is national racing .

Can't believe Snfc members on here are thinking this way .

Sort the Percy's first and foremost .

25/30 miles Colin is all we need to move then

Money comes into it here ,the snfc need the income from federations ,there lies one problem ,inferior birds going the the best hardest races , I know their not allowed in the gold cup ,but in other races its part of fed programs .To me a national should be from over seas one at around 450 one around 500 and one around 550 to central belt , let the Feds take care inland races . Jmho .

Excellent post and just the way it used to be and should never have changed away from. Finance is the problem, so amalgamations and combines are a must, but without the politics attempting to gain advantage. Think what is best for the sport and more importantly, the pigeons. :)

Before proposing a solution to a problem we need to determine the root cause. If you don't have a root cause you are wasting your time.

In our racing it is complex because there are several variables in every race.

We only need to look at the disasters being reported with huge losses of youngsters while training to realise that one potential cause involved in every race is the peregrine falcon hen starting to hunt again and also training her offspring.

If we eliminate this from the equation then will have progressed.

Before proposing a solution to a problem we need to determine the root cause. If you don't have a root cause you are wasting your time.

In our racing it is complex because there are several variables in every race.

We only need to look at the disasters being reported with huge losses of youngsters while training to realise that one potential cause involved in every race is the peregrine falcon hen starting to hunt again and also training her offspring.

If we eliminate this from the equation then will have progressed.

100% Robert I took my yb a toss last night 25 ml 16 missing from 43 I've already got 5 hawked in the loft if nobody helps next year to sort this am wrapping it great hobby been in them all my life but fk this

100% Robert I took my yb a toss last night 25 ml 16 missing from 43 I've already got 5 hawked in the loft if nobody helps next year to sort this am wrapping it great hobby been in them all my life but fk this

We have had troubled training into Beith with youngsters for weeks now.

We moved out liberation site by a few miles and have had better returns with the birds less spread out. This morning they reached hom in good time only to be attacked by a local peregrine above the lofts.

My own are now very wary when they see a training basket and difficult to catch.

They youngsters are mentally destroyed but yet we will send many of them racing on saturday in the company of others which are in a similar state of mental health.

Sorry off topic but it does help to prove a point.

Having watched peregrine falcons in our area for 20 + years I have seen the same hunting patterns at the same time of year trying to educate, train, race ybs in the months of June, July, August is total madness 2 adult Percy's with 2 or 3 young chasing your ybs all over the sky is not fun to watch let me tell you. This is happening all over the country at the same time and fanciers are wondering why they have such poor returns i'ts time to waken up guys, deal with this problem before it finishes our once great sport. This is one of the main reasons why we are getting hammered most weeks. All yous guys who are waiting on someone else doing something about it. It's time to get of yer arses and help save our sport.

Can see a lot wrapping it including myself....a lot of hard work to just get constantly kicked in the balls

Having watched peregrine falcons in our area for 20 + years I have seen the same hunting patterns at the same time of year trying to educate, train, race ybs in the months of June, July, August is total madness 2 adult Percy's with 2 or 3 young chasing your ybs all over the sky is not fun to watch let me tell you. This is happening all over the country at the same time and fanciers are wondering why they have such poor returns i'ts time to waken up guys, deal with this problem before it finishes our once great sport. This is one of the main reasons why we are getting hammered most weeks. All yous guys who are waiting on someone else doing something about it. It's time to get of yer arses and help save our sport.

Mate your 100% correct. Will they listen????

Lewis have you lost it just look at the results

Borders will clean it up if you bring it closer

expletive remove just look at this year .and remember this there was only 2 Nat races at very start Rennes and nantes the idea of the snfc was to promote long distance racing into Scotland ?

I am afraid Lewis you are looking for the easy option

I never had had it to lose in the first place John. :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Think we’re missing first and foremost that the idea of theSNFC was to race against everyone in Scotland-something that’s not happening asit stands. You make the races further into the borders, you also make themfurther into the centre and the North. These stats ae Alec’s show how thatworks out. Yer eliminating nearly half the country with early libs beforea balls even kicked and that’s even on a good day. Who’s looking for the easyoption from those races?

I’m not saying we should have 6 inland nationals or anythinglike that. Just don’t think it’d do any harm going for more channel races inthe region of 400-480 into the Central belt.

There’s no one respects the long distance traditions, giftedfanciers and tremendous pigeons of the past more than me but those days havegone, pigeon racing has changed. The pigeons aren’t here anymore and there’s noway they’ll be back anytime in the near future if we continue as we are now.

Keep Buckingham,keep Ypres, shorter gold Cup, shorterlast channel race, give some thought to the second Inland national and put thelongest race out its misery. These would be good starting points as far as I’mconcerned going into next year. After that you can look at competence of controllersand suitability of transport.

the snfc never worked out the west of france this year, so try the east of france , maybe the shorter crossing might help,

inland nat, maidstone, gold cup reims, longest race, troyes, and if a third channel race is needed roye where all combines and feds can enter also, but think two races at channel is plenty this year coming,

Spot on Stuart, been saying similar for years, the inland Nats have also destroyed Fed races from the coast but if they were dropped these could be resurrected, would also give guys a chance to build a team with a view to tackling the Nats when they were ready to do so JMHO

I never had had it to lose in the first place John. :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Think we’re missing first and foremost that the idea of theSNFC was to race against everyone in Scotland-something that’s not happening asit stands. You make the races further into the borders, you also make themfurther into the centre and the North. These stats ae Alec’s show how thatworks out. Yer eliminating nearly half the country with early libs beforea balls even kicked and that’s even on a good day. Who’s looking for the easyoption from those races?

I’m not saying we should have 6 inland nationals or anythinglike that. Just don’t think it’d do any harm going for more channel races inthe region of 400-480 into the Central belt.

There’s no one respects the long distance traditions, giftedfanciers and tremendous pigeons of the past more than me but those days havegone, pigeon racing has changed. The pigeons aren’t here anymore and there’s noway they’ll be back anytime in the near future if we continue as we are now.

Keep Buckingham,keep Ypres, shorter gold Cup, shorterlast channel race, give some thought to the second Inland national and put thelongest race out its misery. These would be good starting points as far as I’mconcerned going into next year. After that you can look at competence of controllersand suitability of transport.

Just look at arras this 440 mls with the snrpc

the snfc never worked out the west of france this year, so try the east of france , maybe the shorter crossing might help,

inland nat, maidstone, gold cup reims, longest race, troyes, and if a third channel race is needed roye where all combines and feds can enter also, but think two races at channel is plenty this year coming,

Would agree wi that proposal ðŸºðŸºðŸº