Disappointed With The J Murphy Column

lanarkshire lad

too many in a crate over 100 ml sore swollen eyes ,pecked heads, bullys at the drinker,crates wiyh three sides to chose to drink / feed etc is good but surely come the longer races the birdage drops per crate and if not then fed should work birdage per crate because on long haul then less is definately best and preferably on shavings.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think less is more, it'sa transporter wwith a responsible driver, not a rally car zooming down the road. And birds are built for rapid unpredictable moment. They sit in trees in the middle of the worst storms and survive. Jmo

I never said that I either agreed or disagreed with the theory. I can't speak for the competence of the driver and I certainly hope none of mine are sitting on trees during a storm

I personally think less is more, it'sa transporter wwith a responsible driver, not a rally car zooming down the road. And birds are built for rapid unpredictable moment. They sit in trees in the middle of the worst storms and survive. Jmo

It's not about space for me.....its about feeding. Completely understand that you would want plenty of room

Not many top fanciers would think such a thing Robert.imo. You shouldn't even over pack your birds into a basket going to the club for a 2 minute journey?? For gods sake, space is paramount with any living thing.

spot on, common sense. :emoticon-0137-clapping:

Derek the guy has won several nationals. I didn't say I agreed or disagreed with his views. He didn't advocate overcrowding but finding the optimum number.

I have also heard this opinion expressed by other leading fanciers. The thought being that they support each other in transit.

Robert, what I think you are saying is, the pigeons are leaning against each other to support themselves in transit. I think its ludicrous that pigeons travelling in baskets/crates for many 100s of miles over a period of 3 days + have to endure such conditions. You also say that this is the feelings of a top fancier ( multi national winner) there are plenty of National winners that aren't the best of pigeonmen imo. their success mostly down to location.

The lack of numbers is my problem with feeding........liberal amounts of feeding given the same for 10 or 22

I would think and hope the convoyers fed according to numbers in the basket.Now I realise what you mean but if your doos are right they wouldn't be eating a lot, no matter how much is in front of them imo.

I've had doos in the geraldy crates and wicker baskets and given the choice I'd now choose the geraldy every time-especially for young yins. Seen doos that have never been in a geraldy crate in their puff drinking within seconds of being placed in for the first time. Never seen such a thing in wicker baskets-I'd guess in the early young bird races where wicker baskets are used the majority of the convoy are libbed without having drank at all since leaving their loft the previous day.

Baskets /crates would be labelled as to how many in each , so should be fed accordingly, I'm not talking of 10/crate 20 in a crate is fine . But the same crates take 28/30 earlier on in season which IMHO is way far too many .

Labels are at the front of the basket, you feed them from the back? so conyover needs to jump down count read a label, climb back up, count the feeding feed them etc etc ?

I've had doos in the geraldy crates and wicker baskets and given the choice I'd now choose the geraldy every time-especially for young yins. Seen doos that have never been in a geraldy crate in their puff drinking within seconds of being placed in for the first time. Never seen such a thing in wicker baskets-I'd guess in the early young bird races where wicker baskets are used the majority of the convoy are libbed without having drank at all since leaving their loft the previous day.

You are absolutely correct, to explain in simple terms , when you want to quiten the loft you Darking it down and no bird will leave the perch well you are doing the same with the blackout. Wicker basket and young birds will not unless they at the front and will have a drink with. 28 birds it must be right in dark for most birds , the way the basket is made it has the darkest side on the outside. Making it harder for light to get in

There isnae any guarantee of a race regarding weather so whats the use getting there a day early only to be held over for days with pigeons sitting on a bit of cardboard for days.

:emoticon-0137-clapping: :emoticon-0137-clapping: Did he not break from the normal in the past and break the line .

the main difference is with the geraldys you have Perspex fronts so when you lift the shutters you have air and the birds can see and believe me they love it the transporters are alive have spent enough time watching them as for the feeding again the geraldys have feeder running right along the back so it makes no difference how many birds are in the crates don't know what that's all about as you don't weigh the feeding again instead of picking up your clock and leaving stay back and ask your convoyer just a thought

Robert, what I think you are saying is, the pigeons are leaning against each other to support themselves in transit. I think its ludicrous that pigeons travelling in baskets/crates for many 100s of miles over a period of 3 days + have to endure such conditions. You also say that this is the feelings of a top fancier ( multi national winner) there are plenty of National winners that aren't the best of pigeonmen imo. their success mostly down to location.

As I said Derek I never agreed or disagreed with the opinion. Obviously there is an optimum number but that will vary according to the design of the transporter, duration of stay and time of year.

Please don't start me about location as that is an entirely different ball game. Nudge nudge wink wink.

Personally I would be rather thrown against another human being than a brick wall.

Actually Robert I struggled but as I said I sincerely hope mine don't sit on trees. I would imagine sitting on trees required different muscles sitting on a stable surface does.

Robert, pigeons can counteract the wind when sitting on a wire ,so sitting in a basket in a lorry won't ruffle too many feathers , I didn't mean birds on trees literally.

Some interesting points ! Are you saying that only the birds that home on the day (500+) have had a drink and only eaten the correct amount and the rest fall ? Can't buy that , don't think we give credit where credit is due to the convoyers , and how do we know that the first birds home are,nt the one,s who gorge themselves in the basket and out last the others home ? We don't .

A good bird will get home but del is correct in that fill them full of fats at right time and you have done your job then let the birds ability come through. Jmo