The Numbers Game

andy Burgess

That would depend on individual situations. BOP intensity, race route, race programme, etc.

For me racing North, I would say 20 OB's and 40 YB's, but for racing South you could easily Just about treble these numbers. Haven't done the full programme south yet, but would guess 60 OB's and 80 - 100 YB's. :)

Guest TAMMY_1

we have 40 old birds this year but 24 are yearlings and we will have 40 young birds,we have quite a long old bird season and we want to get to every race weather permitting,starting from 90 miles to 530 miles

we have 40 old birds this year but 24 are yearlings and we will have 40 young birds,we have quite a long old bird season and we want to get to every race weather permitting,starting from 90 miles to 530 miles

40 old birds should complete the prog nae bother lol

I've got 44 old birds and breeding 40 ybs this is my second season racing old birds so hope I can complete the programme,never timed a bird over 300 miles last year but don't know if the birds weren't good enough or am just not up to it yet..btw I've got ten late breads so don't think I can count them as if I can get them coz if I can get them to about 150 miles I'll be putting them back for next year..fingers crossed..good luck guys :animatedpigeons:

what number of birds do you think are needed for a loft to compete from first to last race ,old & young ?? and why ?

i think down here ,to be competetive you need at least 100 plus youngbirds min,then 50+cocks and 50+hensmin for oldbird season,plus 35pairs of stock to bred your youngbird teams/but more important than that...time factor is everything,everything,if you want to compete right through....family and friends must come poor 2nd to the birds..i know its not very nice reading ,but its the way to go... if you boys need to work your on the backfoot before you start/

i think down here ,to be competetive you need at least 100 plus youngbirds min,then 50+cocks and 50+hensmin for oldbird season,plus 35pairs of stock to bred your youngbird teams/but more important than that...time factor is everything,everything,if you want to compete right through....family and friends must come poor 2nd to the birds..i know its not very nice reading ,but its the way to go... if you boys need to work your on the backfoot before you start/

I agree about the work but your numbers are mental

270 birds i think the guys that work would struggle to feed them [i know i would] :emoticon-0138-thinking:

We have 51 yearlings and 3 old doos for racing (We lost some trying to break them) I would like to think we can compete in all the fed races but watch this space :emoticon-0138-thinking: :emoticon-0138-thinking: :emoticon-0138-thinking:

i totally agree with you,crazy numbers,but thats how it is now,its only going to get worst year by year,working fanciers are leaving the sport by the bucketful...just look at the top flyers down here ..never work..huge and i mean huge lofts...

We have 51 yearlings and 3 old doos for racing (We lost some trying to break them) I would like to think we can compete in all the fed races but watch this space :emoticon-0138-thinking: :emoticon-0138-thinking: :emoticon-0138-thinking:

so 54 oldbirds and your only club /fed racing....what about the classic,nfc,bbc,bicc

so 54 oldbirds and your only club /fed racing....what about the classic,nfc,bbc,bicc

We should be at all the fed races and we hope to compete in all but 1 SNFC race but i wouldnae rule that 1 out yet as if something is in form at the time it will go :emoticon-0157-sun:

Guest TAMMY_1

well most folk work and make the birds fit round it,have never found it a problem,plenty hours of daylight now and it will get better every day so there is plenty time for everything