Strange Cock Bird

Wiley

As some may know a bought a pair of pigeon of pigeons at Blackpool. Both appear very healthy....but at this one I am scratching my head. The cock bird doesn't seem very interested the way a cock of his age should be....when put in with a hen he coos for a short time, and looks keen, after a couple of minutes he gives up even trying. He is in a shed with 10 spare hens I thought that might liven him up make him sexually active but not a peep. Quiet frustrating as the rest of my stock went down on two eggs in 10 days. I've also been putting wheat germ oil on his feed to see if that does much, but nothing. I'm at my wits end? Any of the old hands or fancier who's experienced something similar can shed any light? I may have to get a test done on him but his droppings, eyes and throat, and good regular drop of down suggests there's nothing wrong with him.

Put him in a spare box for a few days(cooler)away from the rest.

I had the same problem with a cock abit back,so off he went to a henbox in the garage for a few days(SULK MODE)

An old pigeon fancier told me that,and it worked for me!

or maybe when the weather picks up,he might turn into breeding mode

Atb

The only time I had that was when I got a 3 year old cock from a friend tried to pair him to about 8 different hens with no luck even tried to get a match with the hen he was paired to in his own loft eventually gave up he was down on eggs within 8 days back in his own loft some just don't like the upset

As some may know a bought a pair of pigeon of pigeons at Blackpool. Both appear very healthy....but at this one I am scratching my head. The cock bird doesn't seem very interested the way a cock of his age should be....when put in with a hen he coos for a short time, and looks keen, after a couple of minutes he gives up even trying. He is in a shed with 10 spare hens I thought that might liven him up make him sexually active but not a peep. Quiet frustrating as the rest of my stock went down on two eggs in 10 days. I've also been putting wheat germ oil on his feed to see if that does much, but nothing. I'm at my wits end? Any of the old hands or fancier who's experienced something similar can shed any light? I may have to get a test done on him but his droppings, eyes and throat, and good regular drop of down suggests there's nothing wrong with him.

sounds like hes a she wiley try putting a board against the wall in the hen section see if he claims it and with what hen

i had a hen the same mate we took out of race loft and put in the stock loft

she would not pair and in the end we put her in the spare section and left her for a few months

she soon paired up when she got used to the surroundings

was to late to breed from her last year but she laid well this year

i just feel that some birds don't take moving lofts to easy and they take time adjust to there new surroundings

just give him time mate he will be ok

I was gifted an 12 year old Kuper cock a few years back and tried to pair him to various hens but he wasn't interested and spent the whole season sitting on top of the boxes in the stock loft. I got a Brinkman hen at Blackpool the following season and he took to her no problems and I got 3 nests off them that year. I loaned him to a friend and he did the same thing in his loft, nothing and it carried on into the 2nd season with no change so I suggested he take the Brinkman hen that he was paired too in my loft and it wasn't too long before he was back in the nest box. He continued filling his eggs until he was 16 years old. :animatedpigeons:

Guest chad3646

as we all know you get the odd cock that wont pair up with anything, the reason i dont know

but what i will say is i have bred all sorts of birds finches, parrakeets foreign and the pigeon in my opinion is the easiest bird of all to breed

What age is he ?

How long has he been paired ?

He is 3 yr old, and I would say 99.9% he isn't a hen, I gave him a freshen up for 7 days and that never worked. His very keen to the box he settled to but, as I said if you put a rank hen in with him he shows interest only for a little while and then gives up like its hard days work.

He is 3 yr old, and I would say 99.9% he isn't a hen, I gave him a freshen up for 7 days and that never worked. His very keen to the box he settled to but, as I said if you put a rank hen in with him he shows interest only for a little while and then gives up like its hard days work.

take the hen away for 2 or 3 days then put her back in at night time in the dark and it will doo the trick ;)

ryan three smarties down his throat for a week then see it go B) B) B) good luck mate

We have a problem with a 2 year old (mealie) cock bought at Blackpoool - he was paired to a hen in a spare section, then put in the stock loft with her, she was used to the spare box - he has claimed the box - and won't let her in it!!

They are now back in the spare section...................

Problems, problems...........