Snfc Maidstone

eastcoaster

First frank yes birds do settle down at night

When held over all bird feed from feeder would probably say could do with less birds in basket

And in my opinion drinking is most important birds should have access to water all the time .

Hope this help frank

:smiling-scarecrow-329:

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am afraid you are mistaken if you think aluminium crates are cool.The other week after basking the birds and waiting for the transporter,I just remarked to another member how much heat was coming off the crates.They are like cookers.Give me wicker baskets every time.Don't worry about them picking amongst the shavings.How often have you seen them picking about in the garden or fields, not knowing what they are ingesting.If they have any natural immunity they will be o.k.

Metal conducts heat better than wood. So even when the metal and wood are at the same temperature, you feel the temperature of the metal more.

UK weather is now so erratic during the race season, decisions need to be made by the committee if a holdover if it is almost certain to be on the cards, which our first two National races of the season have been... nobody wants there pigeons in the crates a further 24 hours, after spending two nights in them already.

Basketting in these circumstances SHOULD be postponed for 24 hours, or in some cases 48 hours going on previous years holdovers, THE WELFARE OF THE PIGEONS MUST COME FIRST N FOREMOST!!!

Last year our second inland national race had 6065 entries, and this year we have 3001 entries, the situation paints its own picture i'm afraid, many pigeons that were at Buckingham havn't been resent as they are simply not fit enough to go, and losses have increased... we all moan about the raptor problem in the UK which i'm in full agreeance with, but if we continue to race pigeons at this level we will also destroy our own sport.

Now.. something we cannot seem to agree on is the transporting facilities, why the hell are we still convoying in this day and age of modern technology in prehistoric transporters, with wicker baskets loaded with shavings, we havn't moved forward in over 50 years in this department!

Holdovers... pigeons are sitting in there own excrement for three nights plus, these fouled shavings will be contaminating there drinking water, and the foreign allergens they are breathing in via there own droppings and shavings WILL BE having an impact on there upper respitory system for sure.

So when conditions are favourable and we get a liberation after a one or a two day holdover, and it is still a stinker we scratch our heads?

I have just watched a video clip on facebook of the NRCC convoy being cared for by the convoyer in a modern 21st century transporter, awesome is all I can say!

These vehicles in most cases are all air conditioned with roof top ventilation, auto watering systems, cool aluminium crates and grills, clear release flaps on the panniers which must help prior to a liberaton, and auto liberation release system, easy to manage and keep clean.

there are plenty of these vehicles in Scotland now, with one federation in particular which could convoy the entire SNFC for every race if required... a no brainer IMO.

Happy Flying Lads...

well said some sense for once

I am afraid you are mistaken if you think aluminium crates are cool.The other week after basking the birds and waiting for the transporter,I just remarked to another member how much heat was coming off the crates.They are like cookers.Give me wicker baskets every time.Don't worry about them picking amongst the shavings.How often have you seen them picking about in the garden or fields, not knowing what they are ingesting.If they have any natural immunity they will be o.k.

agree to an extent, but the aluminium crates you mention weren't in the transporter... do you actually think these companies spend obscene amounts of money designing these transporters and the panniers to cook the pigeons during transportation, on the subject of shavings if you read my post again my concern was what the pigeons breath in in this type of environment not picking about,grills would also prevent picking about now you come to mention it...

Just thought i would ask a question I can understand delaying the basketing because of the weather.

Who said a 24 hours delay in basketiing was better for the old birds?? Is there proven evidence birds are better in the loft rather than sitting in a basket not some good idea from pigeon men but has someone ever done research?Most pigeon men see a pigeon in the basket at the club where doos seem stressed at this point but it will be the same 24 hours later.

Do the birds looked stressed at the racepoint?

Would be intrested in some convoyers telling us do the birds fight all night or are they lying down resting ??Do they look like they all get a drink in the basket?When the feeding goes in the basket do they all eat?

Mind I am only asking no need for the nasty replies

Metal conducts heat better than wood. So even when the metal and wood are at the same temperature, you feel the temperature of the metal more.

agree... but metal has to be exposed to heat to then become a conductor, I'm pretty sure these transporters don't have heaters in them... :emoticon-0140-rofl:

In my opinion it doesn’t do the birds any harm in the basket over night and it probably does calm them before lib I for one and a lot won’t agree am disappointed that the basket img is now held back as we normally do ok in club races when birds are held over and again that’s just my opinion.

Some very good posts regarding the welfare of our pigeons

Having spoken to fellow fanciers and top class convoyers regarding basket numbers all are of the same agreement we still put to many in baskets

Having cared for more birds than I care to remember and studied their reactions when numbers are increased in a hamper clearly some birds find great difficulty accessing water whether it be volume of birds or dominant cocks

This has been a bugbear of mine for many years now

We all spend vast amounts of money caring for our birds yet fail them on matters that need addressing

I am willing to put in a proposal for next years SNFC Agm that all races whether it be inland or channel that birdage per crate does not exceed 16 Birds and am more than willing to address the floor on the subject

A seconder would be appreciated

Not for the good of the north south east or west

But for the good of the pigeon

Having spoken to fellow fanciers and top class convoyers regarding basket numbers all are of the same agreement we still put to many in baskets

Having cared for more birds than I care to remember and studied their reactions when numbers are increased in a hamper clearly some birds find great difficulty accessing water whether it be volume of birds or dominant cocks

We all spend vast amounts of money caring for our birds yet fail them on matters that need addressing

I am willing to put in a proposal for next years SNFC Agm that all races whether it be inland or channel that birdage per crate does not exceed 16 Birds and am more than willing to address the floor on the subject

Well said Mick I'm against to much birds in a crate aswell today at our basketing we were waiting on our transporter to come when one of our members commented how chilled our cocks crate was some of the cocks were lying down relaxing mainly due to there only being 14 cocks in the crate. I don't know if you have watched the videos on the NRCC birds but you can tell straight away that the welfare and well being for the birds are first class.

Well said Mick I'm against to much birds in a crate aswell today at our basketing we were waiting on our transporter to come when one of our members commented how chilled our cocks crate was some of the cocks were lying down relaxing mainly due to there only being 14 cocks in the crate. I don't know if you have watched the videos on the NRCC birds but you can tell straight away that the welfare and well being for the birds are first class.

Something we must address Robbie if it upsets some because their great grandfathers packed the crates tough

Bosman got his ruling We will get Ours

agree to an extent, but the aluminium crates you mention weren't in the transporter... do you actually think these companies spend obscene amounts of money designing these transporters and the panniers to cook the pigeons during transportation, on the subject of shavings if you read my post again my concern was what the pigeons breath in in this type of environment not picking about,grills would also prevent picking about now you come to mention it...

I would like to pick up on this breathing stale air from the baskets , there is a topic either on here or on pigeonchat about a pigeon breeder ie for retail meat and he went into great detail about how to maintain the best health in his stock and their own droppings were the best by far ! Also if you ever went into the old stone doo cote it was feet deep in sheet with very strong ammonia smell so my belief is a few days on shavings will not do them any harm .

I have also stated previous that I have never seen a pigeon lie down in the geraldy crate but when I basket mine for any race they just chill out in the shavings .

Again jmo

Total agreement ,and get drinkers the full length of the crate ,

I would like to pick up on this breathing stale air from the baskets , there is a topic either on here or on pigeonchat about a pigeon breeder ie for retail meat and he went into great detail about how to maintain the best health in his stock and their own droppings were the best by far ! Also if you ever went into the old stone doo cote it was feet deep in sheet with very strong ammonia smell so my belief is a few days on shavings will not do them any harm .

I have also stated previous that I have never seen a pigeon lie down in the geraldy crate but when I basket mine for any race they just chill out in the shavings .

Again jmo

Pigeons for retail meat dont have to be athletes …….well not to my knowledge anyway :emoticon-0127-lipssealed:

Again jmo

seen many birds lying down in our fed crates last night colin shavings may be comfy but the fact they clog up the drinkers i dont like birds need water m8 id rather it was sand or easybed in the baskets with better access to water and though not perfect geraldy has the better water system by far water on three sides would be better but jmo hope you have a good race

Again jmo

stock bred for retail meat aren't asked to perform as racing pigeons are from 300-600 miles!

I didn't mention breathing stale air my friend... google allergen and maybe you will understand the point of my post!

who really cares how dovecots are kept... who is interested in any form of wild pigeon/dove, we are talking about national racing here, the 'olympics' of scottish pigeon racing

Edited by WulDon