Pigeon Losses

Froog

Whats your views on the huge amount of birds being lost racing and training? Is it weather...birds of prey.......mobile phone signals......health issues.....or the fact nowadays people pay daft money for pieces of paper, pigeons............whatever your views are, let us know..........every little helps. My view is all of the above to a degree, crowded lofts etc, breeding numbers instead of quality, as most do these days just to get through the race programme. Could the darkness system for ybs be a part of the reason? you all must have your own views, so air them :drinking-coffee-200:

A lot of reasons especially health, but you only get out what you put in.

Birds of prey would be a wee bit down my list as a reason.

Bop deffo worse than a few years ago, but like you, I suspect health and over crowding is higher up the list, but maybe further south the BOP problem is worse?

Morning All, having suffered probably one of the worst weekends in my pigeon career, thought I would put out a thread giving food for thought.

1. Were the pigeons that I was going to send racing bred for the job. I.E. From sound healthy stock, breeding birds that perform.

2. Were they in good health. Each to their own here, ours are treated as required at start of season and subsequently throughout season if a problem arises.

3. Were they given the fuel to fly the appropriate distance. Again each to their own, my opinion that the days of tic beans/wheat and fresh water are long gone.

4. Did I do my homework regarding weather conditions for racing. Have spoken to numerous fanciers at marking that are of the attitude "it's Friday so it's race day no matter what"

On the subject of sending or not sending, the final decision lies with the individual fancier whether to send or not to send. Control the race yourself, don't go blaming somebody else.

If you look in the mirror, sometimes the person at fault is looking back at you.

This is by no means a defence of controllers, they act on information available to them, remember many of them have their own birds on the transporter.

Lastly, if you think you are up to any of the posts that get blamed, unjustly on occasion, get along to your Club, Federation or National, and put yourself in the "hot" seat

Hope this post gives food for thought and wish all a good, rest of seaon. AW THE BEST ;)

P.S. I have not gone into the BOP problem on purpose, only tried to cover the areas that we have direct control over.

Edited by flying fifer

Birds of prey cannot kill the amount of pigeons that are missing. Last week and the week before have ben very bad races with big losses especially from Buckingham. I put it down to birds not getting a chance in weather conditions forcing the birds to come up the West Coast alien to them. Before they know it they are completely disorientated hungry and tired and invariably will go down. The weather hasn't helped one bit even the next day with mist coming in. The losses have been eye opening and I firmly believe the weather and static in the air is firmly to blame.

the last 2 weeks have been down to the weather when there's thunder storms about and heavy showers returns are erratic .birds circling trying to get there bearings is also meals on wheels and combine that with the hawks we have now days raceing will not be straight forward ..i class myself as one of the lucky ones this week but at a price another 3 home hurt so now I have a total of 8 hawked so far

Morning All, having suffered probably one of the worst weekends in my pigeon career, thought I would put out a thread giving food for thought.

1. Were the pigeons that I was going to send racing bred for the job. I.E. From sound healthy stock, breeding birds that perform.

2. Were they in good health. Each to their own here, ours are treated as required at start of season and subsequently throughout season if a problem arises.

3. Were they given the fuel to fly the appropriate distance. Again each to their own, my opinion that the days of tic beans/wheat and fresh water are long gone.

4. Did I do my homework regarding weather conditions for racing. Have spoken to numerous fanciers at marking that are of the attitude "it's Friday so it's race day no matter what"

On the subject of sending or not sending, the final decision lies with the individual fancier whether to send or not to send. Control the race yourself, don't go blaming somebody else.

If you look in the mirror, sometimes the person at fault is looking back at you.

This is by no means a defence of controllers, they act on information available to them, remember many of them have their own birds on the transporter.

Lastly, if you think you are up to any of the posts that get blamed, unjustly on occasion, get along to your Club, Federation or National, and put yourself in the "hot" seat

Hope this post gives food for thought and wish all a good, rest of seaon. AW THE BEST ;)

P.S. I have not gone into the BOP problem on purpose, only tried to cover the areas that we have direct control over.

Good post. :)

Good post!

Plus failing to Looking in the mirror.

Other than that, I have voiced an opinion many times on this subject. Not least Incest Breeding.

People hate change and unfortunately one gets 'Comfortable' with bad habits.

they invent and pick and choose what they want to see and hear regardless.

Hence too many breed far too many TO LOSE!

Edited by Roland

TBH am sure 95% of the birds libbed at the weekend were in good racing order I know mine was but unfortunately the snfc had a total fk up simple as that race controller fkd up doos were shut out its not rocket science I'm afraid it all began on Thursday night basketing not enough baskets at marking station birds had to go to Bo'ness and get plucked out the fed baskets in the wicker ones then a bad call to lib on Sunday when the weather was shocking nothing to do with mirrors and yes if the transporter is going I send as that's what I keep them for unfortunately your putting your faith in the premier club in Scotland to look after your birds but yet again a poor show

Guest mambo

With 3,500 Peregrines from 1995 admitted by the rspb and they have never laid a egg since there words it is the problem and fanciers can also be thankful that their are unfit and sickly birds in races, this is what let's a few get home in race time if their were no easy pickings there would be a lot less making it home, as the flock would be chased till death. People have lost race team's in one go from their lofts and tossing due to one strike, there are fewer race time birds, now than before and that is the reason birds are scared stiff

TBH am sure 95% of the birds libbed at the weekend were in good racing order I know mine was but unfortunately the snfc had a total fk up simple as that race controller fkd up doos were shut out its not rocket science I'm afraid it all began on Thursday night basketing not enough baskets at marking station birds had to go to Bo'ness and get plucked out the fed baskets in the wicker ones then a bad call to lib on Sunday when the weather was shocking nothing to do with mirrors and yes if the transporter is going I send as that's what I keep them for unfortunately your putting your faith in the premier club in Scotland to look after your birds but yet again a poor show

You’ll get a yellow card for saying that lol

Funny how nobody posted on sunday morning it was a bad decision to let them up and yes a lot of us are hurting but looking at the forecast i would have let my own doos up on sunday fae Buckingham but hey sh!t happens every year and i am sure the race control team are hurting tae remember they will have had their doos in beside ours....

Also the K index was at its highest this season over the weekend and it had been stated/warned by Joe Murphy in the BHW over the last few weeks to beware. Is this related to poor atmospherics which affects the pigeons to navigate.

Also the K index was at its highest this season over the weekend and it had been stated/warned by Joe Murphy in the BHW over the last few weeks to beware. Is this related to poor atmospherics which affects the pigeons to navigate.

Ye beat me too it Andy, spot on.

Mirror or Race controller! Besides the flak if they don't let them up often groans and moans are deafening.

Done my on own homework on the weather and I should never have went. Anywie it won’t happen again if in doubt keep the pigeons in the loft for another day. Seek and on suicide watch.������

Again I say Costs also play a part

Edited by Roland