Shift Workers

JonesyBhoy

Ye need somebody tae help ye oot Jonesy. When yer day shift they would be letting them oot for ye in the mornin and afternoon when yer back shift. Ye know yersel routine routine routine is a must and workin they shifts it wid be practically impossible tae get a good routine on yer todd.

Been an age old problem. NEVER stopped good flyers. Let out and train as and when. No problem. Regular they say ... and you will still be regular. Pigeons will perform just the same.

Worked THREE SHIFTS never found it a problem, only when afternoons getting birds to marking on Friday evening. Then basket`ed them Fri mid-day and slipped them to club in my break.Birds still flew well.

I work early shift one week 6.30am till 2pm and back shift the next week 2pm till 10pm...

been thinking a lot lately how im going to manage my pigeons and whats the best system to put in place..

Just wondering how fellow fanciers who work shifts manage their doos?

Worked 3 shifts mate not easy, best shift was the nights as Scotty mentioned.

Got the other half involved more or she was getting traded in for a younger hen, :emoticon-0136-giggle:

She has more to doo with them now, and I don't work at all the noo. :o

Best owe luck pal. :smiling-scarecrow-329:

I've worked shifts for over 20 yrs you just have to get on with it yourself if you have no help mate.

I used to be at the loft at 5 in the morning during racing and back after work then later on at night when on earlies and i was there most of the morning when i was backshift.

I used to get up the back of 4 during racing and stick my doos in Vince's van the back of 5 in the morning for training at 10 they sat in the van for 5 hours but at least i had a bit of cover in training.

last year it was 4 tosses before racing for the old birds and no more training all season and 10 tosses for the yb's and never trained again only flagged

If you want to race pigeons you just have to fit in a system around your work because that's what pays the bills pal :emoticon-0167-beer: :emoticon-0167-beer: :emoticon-0167-beer:

ive always been a hopper full of beans/maples feeder so ill continue with that..

was hoping to race some kind of roundabout.. but i think the bigger picture is leaning me toward natural...

think the doos out at 5am everyday will be their routine... the week im on early.. ill then have them open loft 2.30pm till dusk.. the week im on back they will go out open hole from 5am till i leave at 1.15..

i work a good 20 mile toss on the line of flight, so that will come in handy

ive always been a hopper full of beans/maples feeder so ill continue with that..

was hoping to race some kind of roundabout.. but i think the bigger picture is leaning me toward natural...

think the doos out at 5am everyday will be their routine... the week im on early.. ill then have them open loft 2.30pm till dusk.. the week im on back they will go out open hole from 5am till i leave at 1.15..

If thats the case why not get em loft fit first, then their only exercise will be training them, back to there required feed waiting at home, basket, and fed it will be drummed in there heads.

Have a look at around antwerp with dave allen when he visit Staf Van reet, im sure a system similar to his could work well for you, maybe not the measures used depending on your preference for racing. But barley infront of em at all times....id then personally basket them, in the hopper ontop of the barley put the measure and the grain you see fit for requirements, and take them on a toss back to the feed.

Have a look at around antwerp with dave allen when he visit Staf Van reet, im sure a system similar to his could work well for you, maybe not the measures used depending on your preference for racing. But barley infront of em at all times....id then personally basket them, in the hopper ontop of the barley put the measure and the grain you see fit for requirements, and take them on a toss back to the feed.

I am sure I wrote in the past where a good friend had a job 40 miles distant and every day that's where his birds were and he had a super season. The following year he was working closer to home and he was back to his normal middle to bottom of the race result. Jings they were fit that year..and they were fed by the Hopper system..

I work shifts the same pattern as yourself and up until 2016 season I trained the cocks and worked the hens at home,2016 I decided to send both cocks and hens on the same training wagon and split them on their return but this was a disaster (saw too much of each other I think)hens staying out with their mates etc,so this year going back to what I done previously and flag the hens at home till their flying freely and train the cocks 3 times a week.

Thought you said you worked in coulport / faslane pal ? That's no in line of flight .

Hotrod, many of us don't believe in 'line of Flight' or 'Breaking points'. Though of course many more do, and train as such. Maybe they are frightened of being against the norm. Or follow along as what they perceive to be a proven adage. Though of course the essences is mileage under their wing If and when they need it. Yes the main thing, as far as many of us believe, is getting mileage under their wings WHEN and If needed.

Now of course if able an open loft is beneficial, though for most not practical. JMO.