Natural

peter pandy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sunday had the Hens out and away with one returning after 30 minutes and into the trap where I noted her ring number "Must clear the ETS" with the rest returning after 45 minutes. In and fed with the Cocks being turned out had me looking for the early return as they all look the same and then inspected her. Unfortunately she was ripped down the breast with the skin dangling off and her Breast muscle showing but thank the lord it was not damaged, So into the house where wee Mary held her and I trimmed it up and smeared the wound with Germolene "New Skin". Monday morning and I could not pick her out but expected her to remain in but she was gone with the rest and put in 50 minutes exercise.

I was having a blether with the rotund Wee John "Tiger" and mentioned the incident and like him I thought she would be out the game for a good couple of weeks but it shows just how much they can put up with injury wise which would have had us hospitalised.

When my birds are out they dont fly round the houses but go out at least 1/2 mile and do a big circle quite a few times so using Pi and rough measurements of distance they are puting in 25 miles every 30 minutes. If your's are doing the same ?? Why bother taking them training and burning them out.

Sunday had the Hens out and away with one returning after 30 minutes and into the trap where I noted her ring number "Must clear the ETS" with the rest returning after 45 minutes. In and fed with the Cocks being turned out had me looking for the early return as they all look the same and then inspected her. Unfortunately she was ripped down the breast with the skin dangling off and her Breast muscle showing but thank the lord it was not damaged, So into the house where wee Mary held her and I trimmed it up and smeared the wound with Germolene "New Skin". Monday morning and I could not pick her out but expected her to remain in but she was gone with the rest and put in 50 minutes exercise.

I was having a blether with the rotund Wee John "Tiger" and mentioned the incident and like him I thought she would be out the game for a good couple of weeks but it shows just how much they can put up with injury wise which would have had us hospitalised.

When my birds are out they dont fly round the houses but go out at least 1/2 mile and do a big circle quite a few times so using Pi and rough measurements of distance they are puting in 25 miles every 30 minutes. If your's are doing the same ?? Why bother taking them training and burning them out.

Pete, i would like to hear your thoughts on the difference in work rate around the loft and training.

Work rate round the loft is a good question because when I let them out they are gone before I can extract myself, If I am lucky I will catch sight of them in a ball in the distance and its only occasionaly that I will spy them elsewhere, When they have returned home whether its 30-60 minutes they are ready to return into the loft without hanging around, I reckon they are covering from 30-50 miles depending on the time gone.

Last July when I was ready to start tossing the Youngsters John Quinn posted that he was not going to train again and I thought to myself I have never tried that so the only time they went in a basket was to a race. Some started at 85 miles with few losses and others started at 115 miles with few losses and all in all I lost fewer youngsters than normal. This O/Bird season will be the same with no training whatsoever and will go straight into the race I have designated for them. Some of you youngsters think the older generation will not change their ways so I am out to prove a point that fitness can be gained with feed and less use of the basket.

If I am wrong then I am wrong but I will have at least tried.

Hi pete

I know what you are saying but, it hasnt really answered the question? What do think is the difference in work rate from training and loft flying? Im not having a dig or anything just a general query as my birds will exercise fantastic but when they train they put in much more effort and work there is a significant difference in the rate they use their wings imo, but what is yours?

Regards

Ryan

Ryan, having watched birds training from 20-30 miles for more years than I can or want to remember I can honestly say that when your birds are exercising in a tight ball with the wings making little or no effort as if they were drumming then you will notice their is little difference, The speed they are capable off is frightening. I can watch my neighbours birds as I live in a Flat and am able to tell when they are fit or unfit. When birds are supposedly exercising they will fly off with the wind at their tail and turn with widespread wings back into the wind in sailing mode, That basically tells me they are not at racing fitness. Their is also the problem here in Central Scotland that to travel South we are into Hills after 10 miles which is bandit country.

I hope that satisfy's your queery.

Sincere Regards

Peter Mackintosh

Hi pete

I know what you are saying but, it hasnt really answered the question? What do think is the difference in work rate from training and loft flying? Im not having a dig or anything just a general query as my birds will exercise fantastic but when they train they put in much more effort and work there is a significant difference in the rate they use their wings imo, but what is yours?

Regards

Ryan

Ryan you are right I think it is a state of mind. The birds are comfortable flying round the loft but take them away and they are not comfortable and put in more effort to get home from training. It is a bit like footballers you can train for weeks but match fitness is completely different

Yes they were all given one or two races till the moult stopped them and I also have about 20 Late Breds bred from the racers that have been running all Winter.

Hens out this morning as usual with 2/3rds back after about an hour then panick set in as this turn of events has never happened to them before, 2 hours later and still 7 missing, 3 hours passed then 4 when they went hammering over the loft roof swept round and were in in less than 10 seconds, all home and they look in great nick as I was convinced a Bassa had been in amongst them. No I can guarantee they were not sitting about as I had went looking for them when taking Jack for an unexpected walk round the streets.

This past week has seen a return of the moths in the loft which have pestered me for a year or two now. I put it down to the large hedges which surround my garden and a lack of Hedge Sparrows thanks to the protection given to the Bassas although touching wood they have never been seen in my area but are pestering my neighbours lofts. Perhaps thanks to the "Terror Eyes" deterrent.

With the weather supposedly taking a turn for the worse to-morrow, Saturday, I wish all who are racing good returns.

Well it would appear some had good returns on Saturday while others had poor which is normal in Pigeon racing regardless of distance however poor returns can be contributed to a multitude of opinions and I will not be giving my tuppence worth.

My charges are still giving a good account for themselves training with the Hens putting more effort in than the Cocks which are happy enough with 3/4 of an hour before dropping onto the loft which is to be expected with Cocks being more receptive around home than Hens and not wishing to leave the vicinity of their partners who I am sure they know are just a door panel away.

With the days stretching out I now put the Hens out in the morning and shift the Cocks through to the perch section. This allows both sexes to have their small morning feed when the Hens return to the Nest Box section and are left for about 8 Hours with their Box.

With the Cocks going out for exercise at 18.00 Hrs and shifting the Hens back into the Perch section. The Cocks on returning into the Nest Box section is when they are all given the evening meal which I have increased to as much as they want to eat and all seems Hunkie Dory in preparation for the First race this Saturday with my coming last [some hope] as it will be the first time in a basket for some Late Breds.

One thing I am confident about is THEY ARE,, Bred to Race, Fed to Race, Fit to Race, and if lost they will not be missed as I nor you cannot know if they have the Ability to Home..

With the race programme the way it is I will be sending all 2016 rung pigeons for the first race to-night that are what I believe fit to cover the 85 miles. To be perfectly honest I could not have looked after them any better this past closed season so now it is their turn to step up to the mark. I sincerely hope all your efforts are rewarded and a good racing season is enjoyed by all the fanciers on Basics.

With the race programme the way it is I will be sending all 2016 rung pigeons for the first race to-night that are what I believe fit to cover the 85 miles. To be perfectly honest I could not have looked after them any better this past closed season so now it is their turn to step up to the mark. I sincerely hope all your efforts are rewarded and a good racing season is enjoyed by all the fanciers on Basics.

thank you , and all the very best to you too :pidge:

Well the first race is over and what a disapointment it turned out to be not only for me but the entire club.

Having sent 31 Yearlings which were 20 unraced Late Breds and 11 raced I have 11 missing which hopefully some will turn in to-morrow.

The first 2 clocked were untrained Late breds and 5 are missing with 6 raced youngsters still to put in an appearance and they were only 5 minutes behind the winner.

My returns are actually better than those lofts who had 4 training tosses up to 40 miles with one still missing 12 from 28 and another 10 from 24 with 2 lofts failing to time in. when checking the Master Timer with the Fed the clock Convenor only had 5 from 28 so I can only surmise that the Midland Fed has taken a tanking from Slaughterburn ""Otterburn"".

The only pleasing aspect was that on the birds return they were not sticking their heads in the drinker so perhaps the basket trough experiment in the loft has been a success and they were drinking freely in the basket..

Ach well their is always next week for the 2 Year Olds.

Well the first race is over and what a disapointment it turned out to be not only for me but the entire club.

Having sent 31 Yearlings which were 20 unraced Late Breds and 11 raced I have 11 missing which hopefully some will turn in to-morrow.

The first 2 clocked were untrained Late breds and 5 are missing with 6 raced youngsters still to put in an appearance and they were only 5 minutes behind the winner.

My returns are actually better than those lofts who had 4 training tosses up to 40 miles with one still missing 12 from 28 and another 10 from 24 with 2 lofts failing to time in. when checking the Master Timer with the Fed the clock Convenor only had 5 from 28 so I can only surmise that the Midland Fed has taken a tanking from Slaughterburn ""Otterburn"".

The only pleasing aspect was that on the birds return they were not sticking their heads in the drinker so perhaps the basket trough experiment in the loft has been a success and they were drinking freely in the basket..

What makes you think that another week will help the dismal performance?

Aye well Stevie you should know that you can be last this week and First next week in this game and even Nostradamus could not predict the future so I will keep giving this theory a go.

For some obscure reason my ETS showed a double clock in so I finished on Saturday with 17 and another 2 turned in on Sunday morning. All in all I dropped 12 of which 8 were first time Late Breds and 4 that were raced as Young Birds.

It is quite disappointing to lose so many when you have had a bit of faith in the product but as I keep saying I cannot tell if their is anything between the ears and I am not showing them every lamp post between the loft and race point.. My observations were proven correct as before clocking I had mentioned that I was expecting one of two Cocks that had paired up to-gether giving both a bit of motivation, they did not let me down.

Over the past 48 hours those sent at the week-end are showing no discomfort in their efforts but will have 2 weeks rest before sending again as the 2 Year Olds are ear marked for this week but the weather will have to improve as I wont be sending with a nose wind. After being put away in a drawer "Thermals" are once more part of my attire to-day..

I'm a big believer that a bird either has it or it dusnae Peter......but I think your not training policy is failing some birds that might have been decent with a wee bit help.....but they are your birds and as you have said to me before many roads lead to Rome.....best of luck this weekend.....the good news is its a sooth wind

Guest johnhunter

I'm a big believer that a bird either has it or it dusnae Peter......but I think your not training policy is failing some birds that might have been decent with a wee bit help.....but they are your birds and as you have said to me before many roads lead to Rome.....best of luck this weekend.....the good news is its a sooth wind

so true dal2 you cant make a silk purse out of a sow,s ear lol

How long did the doos take Peter and how did yours fair with the winners?

Hi Derek, The winner was timed 2hrs 21 mts vel 1056. with 8 birds doing 1000 +. I was 9th & 10 on 2h 31mts vel 978.

It was not the times that were bothering me or the result Derek, it was losing 12 from 31 sent with nothing returning over the next couple of days.

With the team exercising so well over the past seven months and ranging one does not expect to lose them at 85 miles regardless of basket training down the road or at least I dont, however what has returned I can have a bit of faith in for sure.

When I vaccinated the loft they were all basketed Spotted and Nazarined. Prior to sending on Friday they were all given "Tricho" vet Schroeder and all were clear so I can rule out Respitory and another couple of ailments.

To my mind they were just not good enough and I am not kidding myself on when I say that I would not be alone in losing so many on Saturday.

Birds out and still puting in a good shift although not away as long as before, Perhaps 20 minutes but on return they are winging around the roof tops.

Aye they are all bred off extreme winning blood lines and here is me unable to get them from 85 miles. I think Ad Schaerlton [spelling] is bang on when he says they can all breed sh**e too..

Out and out distance birds i have no experience with peter, as i want more of a middle distance bird who can perform at most discplines. However i remember listening to one of the best distance fanciers in the uk with out and out distance birds say...when i take my birds 20 miles they take 5 days to come home, when i race them at 100 miles they take 5 days to come home, but when i send them 500 miles plus they are their on the day.....i hope they turn in for u mate but regarding respiratory i cant see anything from your text that said you treated for it, so was wondering why you said you could count that out?

Edited by Wiley

Hi wiley, Respitory problems has to my mind always been the ability to breathe properly through the nose although I am aware lungs and internal organs can be affected and when I treat the nostrils I can see they are clear by the colour inside the mouth. If I want to check the Lungs I hold the bird in one hand and with the other I stretch the neck downward and put my ear to its back. There should be absolutely no wheezing noises to be heard and that is what I was taught by my mentor Eddy Newcombe. I should add if their is then its a bucket job..

Hi wiley, Respitory problems has to my mind always been the ability to breathe properly through the nose although I am aware lungs and internal organs can be affected and when I treat the nostrils I can see they are clear by the colour inside the mouth. If I want to check the Lungs I hold the bird in one hand and with the other I stretch the neck downward and put my ear to its back. There should be absolutely no wheezing noises to be heard and that is what I was taught by my mentor Eddy Newcombe. I should add if their is then its a bucket job..

Come to fk Peter lol, dae ye not even know how yer pal and mentor spelt his name ?? Eddie. :emoticon-0136-giggle: