Natural

peter pandy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My birds went out today that was their first time since September,peter your birds were not fielding as they came over me twice heading into the west going like wee rockets

Cheers Billy, If I am quick enough getting out the loft on letting them out I am able to catch them rounding the High Flats then heading up your way, I think they are turning again at the wheel then heading North as on occasion I see them heading over at Carmuirs then that's it till they come back from the Blue to do a repeat performance.

Heard you were having thoughts on packing in ?, Hope not now you have company up there. You should be following the others frae Camelon and joining us with him "doon the Street" oor new Secretary.

No chance of me packing in peter I'm happy racing my birds in laurieston,you better watch your p's+q's with your new secretary

Really pleased to know you are staying with us and I suppose its best you stay out there as you would have a difficult time trying to get a card LOL :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

5 Star Petrol LOL,

Beans, Peas, Tares, Maize, Wheat, Dari, Barley, Sunflower, Linseed. One feed Daily 28 Grams per Bird.

Is it equal amounts of each corn Peter and then 30 per cent barley mine have 30 grams and 20 per cent barley of a mix very much like that but without the sunflower for now but only do 45 mins

Is it equal amounts of each corn Peter and then 30 per cent barley mine have 30 grams and 20 per cent barley of a mix very much like that but without the sunflower for now but only do 45 mins

Sorry but no it is not in equal parts and I am afraid I don't wish to divulge the percentages until I have tried it for a season. What I have stated so far is the morning feed which I give on alternate days and should give results out to 300 miles but as yet cannot be sure of my facts. Please be patient with me and I promise to divulge all later in the season whether it is worth trying or not.

Prior to ETS coming aboard all my pigeons had their rubbers removed on entering the loft whereupon they were handled to ascertain body loss in regards time on wing and feed regime. should one or two, sometimes all, have a substantial weight loss then more beans were added to the mix which I would be happy with in the following weeks race if the late comers had virtually no loss in body weight even flying 8-10 hrs.

With ETS complacency has set in with the birds not being handled till basketing for next trainer 4 days later, when they have recovered any weight loss and I am tricked into thinking all was well and perhaps the opposite would have been the requisite.

I have in the past depended on observation to tell me if all is not as it should be, whether its the birds demeanour, droppings or attitude to its surroundings likewise I never chase birds out the loft for exercise, If they don't wish to go out then they are handled for fault but nor removed from the loft in the off chance it could make the problem worse and all is usually back to normal after 24 hrs.

Once again the weather has kept the team from exercise but hopefully to-morrow will see a bit of blue up above..

Blue skies !! that's a joke, Another day with dampness in the air but let the hens out which was a waste of time only putting in 45 minutes. The Cocks will be out while I am off for the Saturday afternoon blether..

To-morrow Sunday sees the March Full Moon and I am swithering whether to pair or wait till the light and dark is equal on the 18th !! Decisions Decisions .. :emoticon-0138-thinking: :emoticon-0138-thinking:

All going well in the loft with pairs in nest boxes content with their surroundings and hens cooried down in the pans, 29 Cocks with 19 Hens leaves plenty choices for the ladies.

Gales to-day sees them confined to the loft at the moment however It may quieten down later to have them out for a bit which is a lovely time to watch them getting up to all the antics whilst flying together in pairs, exercise is the last thing on their minds.

Guest johnhunter

All going well in the loft with pairs in nest boxes content with their surroundings and hens cooried down in the pans, 29 Cocks with 19 Hens leaves plenty choices for the ladies.

Gales to-day sees them confined to the loft at the moment however It may quieten down later to have them out for a bit which is a lovely time to watch them getting up to all the antics whilst flying together in pairs, exercise is the last thing on their minds.

or TRIOS lol

Spent a week trying unsuccessfully to find out what TRIOS means John apart from a threesome !, and yes I have two Cocks paired to the one Hen which is a new one on me however they appear to be happy with the situation, The first eggs were laid on six days and at eight days 14 from 19 Hens are sitting eggs.

To-day we have blizzards yet in four days it will be Summer time !!, Oh by the way for the gardeners who are interested, all my Daffodils flowered the same day I paired up on the full moon, coincidence perhaps..

The loft is full of the joys of Spring with the amount of roaring to be heard from the inmates and with no bloody wattles all is harmony, Long may it continue.

With the Terror Eyes reinstalled after its Winter lay off my resident Jackdaws have concluded that it is allowing them more access to the fat ball feeder with some smaller birds still wary of it although they sneak in when they feel its not looking at them, Either that or its my imagination, Probably the latter.

BHW and RP.

Tony Harte who wrote Eddie Newcombe's tribute in both weekly papers brought so many memories back that had been forgotten in the mist of time inside me especially regarding Festival Merryee who I had for a seasons breeding, There was also an article by Rod Adams which included the writer Dr G.H.T.Stovin who was the author of Pedigree Cattle Breeding and Breeding Better Pigeons which Eddie gave me to read after I had asked him for the pedigree of Merryee. It was written by Dr Stovin that it is impossible to pick Breeding Stock by Pedigree, by Type, by Eyesign or by any other man-devised system, Because Man is eternally looking for a sign where no sign can be given to him.. So Eddie never wrote pedigree's.

Another little snippet from the past was suddenly brought to mind and that was Haiths Red Band which helped immensely in bringing condition into the birds but remember it is strong so do not give more than 5% in your total daily feed. I will start it as soon as all the birds are sitting in preparation for splitting at 10 day eggs and moving onto Roundabout before going Natural for Distance racing.

After breaking ice in the drinkers this morning and Temps -2 all was well in the loft. The two Cocks paired to the One Hen scenario resulted in her laying last night and a comical situation has now developed with both Cocks sitting the egg at the same time staring at each other no doubt to see which one is going to move first, On giving their mid-day feed neither would move from the bowl.. I just wish there had been a race to go to this week-end as it would be money in the bank.

At the evening feed 17.00hrs the three bird scenario was a treat to watch as the Hen had a pick and drink with both Cocks refusing to budge and with a bit of jiggling she managed to get between them and snuggle down on her egg. Both Cocks then left the nest with one at the back of the box and the other standing on the wooden block ""which I have in every nest box"" and when I closed up for the night they were still in the staring at each other position so no feed for them to-day although I thought Jack my Border Terrier would have moved them as he could see I was interested in them and gave the closest Cock a good sniff and had his nose whacked by a wing for his troubles,, Laugh, you could not make it up.

At the evening feed 17.00hrs the three bird scenario was a treat to watch as the Hen had a pick and drink with both Cocks refusing to budge and with a bit of jiggling she managed to get between them and snuggle down on her egg. Both Cocks then left the nest with one at the back of the box and the other standing on the wooden block ""which I have in every nest box"" and when I closed up for the night they were still in the staring at each other position so no feed for them to-day although I thought Jack my Border Terrier would have moved them as he could see I was interested in them and gave the closest Cock a good sniff and had his nose whacked by a wing for his troubles,, Laugh, you could not make it up.

it,s a shame you could,nt video it all :emoticon-0136-giggle:

it,s a shame you could,nt video it all :emoticon-0136-giggle:

My laddie is in Scrabster this week Andy working but should be finished and flying home on Friday as I am sure he is down in Devon next week so will ask him if he can fit up one of my spare security cameras into the loft then download onto Basics. Not knowing the technical side of it will leave it up to him.

My laddie is in Scrabster this week Andy working but should be finished and flying home on Friday as I am sure he is down in Devon next week so will ask him if he can fit up one of my spare security cameras into the loft then download onto Basics. Not knowing the technical side of it will leave it up to him.

brilliant , will look forward to it Peter .

The Lad was not at Scrabster but Kirkwall and could not make it back till Monday and the threesome had become a twosome unfortunately. Sorry Andy.

With all the Hens laying I have removed and replaced with china eggs so definitely no youngsters for racing this year. Exercising round the loft has dramatically reduced to about 15 minutes with neither sex wishing to put a bit of effort in. Hopefully this will be corrected once they are split again on 2nd April giving them 18 days to regain the fitness required for early races weather permitting although the Fed programme is as usual not catering for the birds welfare with distance increasing rapidly over the first three races of 85,116 then 159 miles, My own belief is that losses will occur with unfit birds jumped into the second or third race.

An article appeared lately regarding acidifying the drinking water with Apple Cider Vinegar which I found a lot of tosh as you only require 15ml per litre of water.. It only has to be Acidic not pure acid as recommended..

The Lad was not at Scrabster but Kirkwall and could not make it back till Monday and the threesome had become a twosome unfortunately. Sorry Andy.

With all the Hens laying I have removed and replaced with china eggs so definitely no youngsters for racing this year. Exercising round the loft has dramatically reduced to about 15 minutes with neither sex wishing to put a bit of effort in. Hopefully this will be corrected once they are split again on 2nd April giving them 18 days to regain the fitness required for early races weather permitting although the Fed programme is as usual not catering for the birds welfare with distance increasing rapidly over the first three races of 85,116 then 159 miles, My own belief is that losses will occur with unfit birds jumped into the second or third race.

An article appeared lately regarding acidifying the drinking water with Apple Cider Vinegar which I found a lot of tosh as you only require 15ml per litre of water.. It only has to be Acidic not pure acid as recommended..

thanks for the reply Peter , would have been good to see . maybe when they re-pair in April ??