Natural

peter pandy

Well I sent 25 Hens mostly Yearlings and Late Breds to 85 miles Otterburn for their first race and had them all home.. My first timer was 8 minutes behind the Armadale winner with 700 + birds from that club. I suppose I have to be happy with the performance they put in against birds with a lot more experience. The Hen I timed first was feeding a 4 day baby so will be set up later in the year for a 400 miler. I will have the Cocks training this week and they will go into a 110 mile race for the start of their programne with the following week all into 150 miles as they should be cleaner with finishing rearing and on dummy eggs. Congratulations to all who have won this week especially the Convoyers who gave us great returns in the cold North West winds.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I sent 25 Hens mostly Yearlings and Late Breds to 85 miles Otterburn for their first race and had them all home.. My first timer was 8 minutes behind the Armadale winner with 700 + birds from that club. I suppose I have to be happy with the performance they put in against birds with a lot more experience. The Hen I timed first was feeding a 4 day baby so will be set up later in the year for a 400 miler. I will have the Cocks training this week and they will go into a 110 mile race for the start of their programne with the following week all into 150 miles as they should be cleaner with finishing rearing and on dummy eggs. Congratulations to all who have won this week especially the Convoyers who gave us great returns in the cold North West winds.

I hope you get a turn in your club Peter, keep us updated m8

Edited by Delboy

Well done on 100% returns.

The hen you'll set up for a 400 mile race, what preparation will she be given now?

How many more races and at what distances?

Well done on 100% returns.

The hen you'll set up for a 400 mile race, what preparation will she be given now?

How many more races and at what distances?

Her next race will be Newark 235 miles if she lays to plan then Buckingham with the SNFC a fortnight later finishing her season off at Roye. "The best laid plans etc".

In the Loft the birds were given a warm bath and the salt block which they only have access to on a Sunday. I lost 10 babies on Saturday when Cocks abandoned them although all was ok first thing in the morning so it was hastily putting singles into the nest where the Cocks went back on them !! Makes you wonder what goes through their heads and if they are telepathic knowing their Hens would be returning shortly..

Her next race will be Newark 235 miles if she lays to plan then Buckingham with the SNFC a fortnight later finishing her season off at Roye. "The best laid plans etc".

In the Loft the birds were given a warm bath and the salt block which they only have access to on a Sunday. I lost 10 babies on Saturday when Cocks abandoned them although all was ok first thing in the morning so it was hastily putting singles into the nest where the Cocks went back on them !! Makes you wonder what goes through their heads and if they are telepathic knowing their Hens would be returning shortly..

Is this hen a yearling Peter?

Well I suppose it had to happen ! Took all the Cocks for a 25 miler and been hit hard. They have been coming in ones and two's all afternoon with the last one at 20.00 hrs missing Primaries in both wings and back torn. Still have 6 to come from 30 sent. Bloody sick as a parrot so will open a bottle of malt tae droon ma sorrows. :emoticon-0179-headbang:

Well I suppose it had to happen ! Took all the Cocks for a 25 miler and been hit hard. They have been coming in ones and two's all afternoon with the last one at 20.00 hrs missing Primaries in both wings and back torn. Still have 6 to come from 30 sent. Bloody sick as a parrot so will open a bottle of malt tae droon ma sorrows. :emoticon-0179-headbang:

ouch , hope the others show for you in the morning Peter :emoticon-0179-headbang:

Peter, I'm not trying to be negative but I don't see a 400 mile race point in that plan. I appreciate we live at different sides of the country but Buckingham is 300 miles to me while Roye is 520 according to the measurements I have from the SHU this week. Perhaps some food for thought.

I hope your absent pigeons return. It happens to us all at some time.

Two Yearling Cocks still to come from yesterday so does not look good for them and thats a liberation site they have been to umpteen times without problems. I cannot say it was to cold yesterday as it was 9c with little wind so no chill factor in fact it was quite pleasant in the sunshine and some were home in 40 minutes.

Regarding my misdemeanor in race distances LOL I thought Roye was in Belgium so thank's Novice for enlightening me but that is where she will go if she keeps to her 40 day cycle and the Bassas leave her alone.

Two Yearling Cocks still to come from yesterday so does not look good for them and thats a liberation site they have been to umpteen times without problems. I cannot say it was to cold yesterday as it was 9c with little wind so no chill factor in fact it was quite pleasant in the sunshine and some were home in 40 minutes.

Regarding my misdemeanor in race distances LOL I thought Roye was in Belgium so thank's Novice for enlightening me but that is where she will go if she keeps to her 40 day cycle and the Bassas leave her alone.

Will you break down her nest at some stage if she's not in correct cycle for her target races?

Or do you never disturb nests?

In my loft there are 22 nest boxes without fronts and 8 boxes have nests I also have 6 inches of deep litter "AUBIOSE" which is hemp stalk chopped up and 20 pair of birds prefer to burrow into it and nest there. They build where they like and are never disturbed but once they have reared and lay again they will be on china's until they either lift or are set down for anything I fancy a go at. I dont wish them to rear all the time as it cannot be beneficial to them but nothing is set in stone where I am concerned a long as they handle the way I want them to. They tore into the savoy cabbage yesterday and to-day had a vitamin supplement 2 drops ABIDEC to 1 litre water. If its rccommended for babies then thats good enough for me..

Having coming to a decision as to where to send the Cocks for their first race and having had no training since last Monday where they had a stinker from 30 miles it was either 113 or 135 miles so opted for the shorter distance and sent all 26 Cocks to 113 miles and its obvious they were not fit as I was 17 minutes behind the winner and still have 6 to come, Hopefully to-morrow they will put in an appearance. Its pretty obvious you cannot breed and race at the same time and old age has its drawbacks when the memory goes. I really should have remembered that its not on. The race programne down South is far superior to what we have here in Scotia where the feds only race from 100 miles every week and its perfect training for members of the Classic clubs racing across the channel.

Only one turned in to-day about 15.00hrs but at least they are trying and if not they are trying me. Feel sorry for the guys who have had massive losses out of Otterburn and have to say Almond Valley seem to have good returns any time they are there and wonder if the rockets they put up prior to lib are the answer.

Still 5 to come from the week-end 4 yearlings and 1 two year old. On going through last years breeding I found that the 4 yearlings came from 2 pairs introduced from the same fancier and they will be vacating the stock loft pronto with total losses from them. With the nestlings hitting the 10/12 day mark many of the cocks are trying to tread in flight and is quite entertaining watching their antics, Its just a pity it was not nearer this week-end as it could be the urge they need to get home quicker. A wee mistake I made was putting a feeder into the boxes as when they are empty with good feeding parents they go into other boxes looking for more and fighting breaks out resulting in scalped young and bloody faces for those fighting disturbing the harmony that existed. Another is a hen which I cannot keep out of the grit and mineral bowls resulting in her pumping to much water into her young and loose droppings around the nest so she has been moved on and the Cock will have to do all the rearing now. It will be Cocks again this week as all Hens should be near ready for laying..

Still 5 to come from the week-end 4 yearlings and 1 two year old. On going through last years breeding I found that the 4 yearlings came from 2 pairs introduced from the same fancier and they will be vacating the stock loft pronto with total losses from them. With the nestlings hitting the 10/12 day mark many of the cocks are trying to tread in flight and is quite entertaining watching their antics, Its just a pity it was not nearer this week-end as it could be the urge they need to get home quicker. A wee mistake I made was putting a feeder into the boxes as when they are empty with good feeding parents they go into other boxes looking for more and fighting breaks out resulting in scalped young and bloody faces for those fighting disturbing the harmony that existed. Another is a hen which I cannot keep out of the grit and mineral bowls resulting in her pumping to much water into her young and loose droppings around the nest so she has been moved on and the Cock will have to do all the rearing now. It will be Cocks again this week as all Hens should be near ready for laying..

Blaw hame this week Peter get them in lol

Stevie I dont know where you get your weather forecast from ? is it from a craw flying South to North or some such auld wives tales LOL. Its supposed to be thunderstorms in the North of England and not too pretty this week-end, however go they will and take the scudding if there's one to be had. I suppose we have to face the fact that we are in an island and somewhere in its 500 miles there will be nasty weather someplace that they have to come through. I used to say if one can make it then the rest should be able to as well but that was in the day when communications was non existent. Jings when you think back we used to put them on the train at 7am in the morning with instructions for the station master to liberate which he did whether it was in the middle of a downpour, Snow, Fog or a lovely sunny day was immaterial to the Beatock summit guy and losses were small from the 40 mile toss. Different nowadays as some cry because they have lost the crap that every one has, including me in their loft and its the only way to find them out. The basket is the only way with any certainty and I am of the belief that the Peri only takes the unfit bird.

Trained Wed & Thursday this week and they were doing it in jig time so no doubt they will take their time on Saturday when it matters LOL. Mostly Cocks being sent this week again as most of the Hens are starting to lay and it looks like I will have to get them out a bit myself as its a 190 mile jump for them next week or the week after. It could be that the Yearling Hens may only have 3 races this year before putting bye for next year. Decisions,Decisions.

Trained Wed & Thursday this week and they were doing it in jig time so no doubt they will take their time on Saturday when it matters LOL. Mostly Cocks being sent this week again as most of the Hens are starting to lay and it looks like I will have to get them out a bit myself as its a 190 mile jump for them next week or the week after. It could be that the Yearling Hens may only have 3 races this year before putting bye for next year. Decisions,Decisions.

if you want racing pigeons peter you need to test them. the harder you are with them the better they are, simple