Breeding Tips

tiger

hear is how i found my best breeders i made myself a 16 by 4 ft wide loft split into 5 small sections i then put the 5 best bred cocks in one in each sect then picked 5 hens to pair them to these birds were paired in december and alowed to rear the first pair the next pair are switched under feeders the hens removed and after 5 to 7 days 5 different hens are put in with the cocks by this time the yearlings are paired and the eggs from the 2nd lot of hens are switched or stored untill feeders are ready for them this was done 4 times with 4 differnt hens so getting 14 to 16 yb off each cock the yb are then trained hard and get every race as ybs and yearlings the cocks are then judged on the performance and no of ybs left from each hen and paired back to the ones that produced my best yb and that hen is then his mate for the next year then he is paired to the hen that he bred the best yearlings with if in 2 years breeding and about 30 yb from him he has not bred a winner or plenty very steady yb and yrl ready to go to nationals he is removed and replaced with another cock thus all my yb are bred from 5 cocks every year till i find the best mating they are then left together in another loft or they keep there small section for life this way you find find your best breeding pairs in two seasons breeding and lots of half bro and sisters to pair together when you find the top breeding cock this can be done with one or two cocks or more depending on your set up i have also used a bull system but ended up with not enough feeders to work this way and you start using racers that should only be rearing 1 or 2 getting used as feeders my way is easy to work if you dont have a feeder pair ready store the eggs till you do or they can rear them thereselfs with this idea i have 16 pair that breed winners and now every bird in the lofts are bred from them

hear is how i found my best breeders i made myself a 16 by 4 ft wide loft split into 5 small sections i then put the 5 best bred cocks in one in each sect then picked 5 hens to pair them to these birds were paired in december and alowed to rear the first pair the next pair are switched under feeders the hens removed and after 5 to 7 days 5 different hens are put in with the cocks by this time the yearlings are paired and the eggs from the 2nd lot of hens are switched or stored untill feeders are ready for them this was done 4 times with 4 differnt hens so getting 14 to 16 yb off each cock the yb are then trained hard and get every race as ybs and yearlings the cocks are then judged on the performance and no of ybs left from each hen and paired back to the ones that produced my best yb and that hen is then his mate for the next year then he is paired to the hen that he bred the best yearlings with if in 2 years breeding and about 30 yb from him he has not bred a winner or plenty very steady yb and yrl ready to go to nationals he is removed and replaced with another cock thus all my yb are bred from 5 cocks every year till i find the best mating they are then left together in another loft or they keep there small section for life this way you find find your best breeding pairs in two seasons breeding and lots of half bro and sisters to pair together when you find the top breeding cock this can be done with one or two cocks or more depending on your set up i have also used a bull system but ended up with not enough feeders to work this way and you start using racers that should only be rearing 1 or 2 getting used as feeders my way is easy to work if you dont have a feeder pair ready store the eggs till you do or they can rear them thereselfs with this idea i have 16 pair that breed winners and now every bird in the lofts are bred from them

:emoticon-0137-clapping::emoticon-0137-clapping:

Rearing during winter months: every time you feed change the water which should be given tepid otherwise youngsters will use up vital calories getting their bodies back up to temperature instead of channelling those calories into growth.

Andy,

you can rear from Celibate Cocks if you want to but if you do you should only ever rear one nest and take the hens and youngsters away when the youngsters are 14 days old. Transfer them to the young bird loft and put the nest pans on the floor dressed with a decent floor dressing. I like Vera Laga loft dressing because it dries the droppings and it does not get blown about much. You will be pleased with the youngsters you rear this way especially if you can transfer a group of hens with their young. All the hens will feed any youngster that asks for food and not just their own.

I never rear from my Cocks because I want them to win races from the first race onwards and besides I only ever rear from selected Cocks which have been transferred to the Stock Loft. This year I have two outstanding Celibate Cocks to be transferred to Stock but it will automatically mean the two stock pigeons must make way for them.

Andy,

you can rear from Celibate Cocks if you want to but if you do you should only ever rear one nest and take the hens and youngsters away when the youngsters are 14 days old. Transfer them to the young bird loft and put the nest pans on the floor dressed with a decent floor dressing. I like Vera Laga loft dressing because it dries the droppings and it does not get blown about much. You will be pleased with the youngsters you rear this way especially if you can transfer a group of hens with their young. All the hens will feed any youngster that asks for food and not just their own.

I never rear from my Cocks because I want them to win races from the first race onwards and besides I only ever rear from selected Cocks which have been transferred to the Stock Loft. This year I have two outstanding Celibate Cocks to be transferred to Stock but it will automatically mean the two stock pigeons must make way for them.

thanks for the reply Owen , I am considering this system ,would suit me having less birds (hens) .yet I have 2 race cocks that have previously bred winners so ?? :emoticon-0138-thinking:

thanks for the reply Owen , I am considering this system ,would suit me having less birds (hens) .yet I have 2 race cocks that have previously bred winners so ?? :emoticon-0138-thinking:

I also would love to try this system , but I have what I hope to be some great hens and like the roundabout but it sounds very tempting.

When I started up over 50 years ago I used to pair good looking birds together but without success and carried out that system for many years because I was a slow learner and had no one in the family to ask who kept pigeons nor did I believe their was nothing in this game but luck and a good loft position. The luck changed when The Pictorial came out and Alf Baker was a godsend to me. One article he wrote was about his mealy cock who only won when he was paired to his mother which gave me an insight to love pairings which I have carried out to this day. In March I open the sections and leave them to pick their own mates which to date has been successful as I never kept stock pigeons and what I have proved to myself is that the first eggs from a yearling hen produce more winners than any other. No doubt some would denigrate this as being the lazy mans method but I could name top men who follow this idea.

When I started up over 50 years ago I used to pair good looking birds together but without success and carried out that system for many years because I was a slow learner and had no one in the family to ask who kept pigeons nor did I believe their was nothing in this game but luck and a good loft position. The luck changed when The Pictorial came out and Alf Baker was a godsend to me. One article he wrote was about his mealy cock who only won when he was paired to his mother which gave me an insight to love pairings which I have carried out to this day. In March I open the sections and leave them to pick their own mates which to date has been successful as I never kept stock pigeons and what I have proved to myself is that the first eggs from a yearling hen produce more winners than any other. No doubt some would denigrate this as being the lazy mans method but I could name top men who follow this idea.

Same here I just open the doors and let them pick their own partners a happy doo is a good doo lol

I am just in again and have removed further UNNECESSARY posts. If the abuse doesn't stop i can see warn status' reaching the banning point. DRUNK isn't an excuse either, ave just explained that to one or two in the boozer who were also causing offence.

I would expect apologies by PM back and forth tomorrow and hope it improves what has become a ridiculous situation. I would also think one or two might receive Pm's from Archie when he reviews this thread.

yes I Just got a phone call regarding this so have had to come on to deal with it, its the second day I have had to deal with outrageous postings and 2 members on Both involved, so they will now be on a 30 day suspension, the site has been going great for a while so hopefully we can get it back to it, we cant allow members to spoil good threads, more so when they get warnings after warning and continue to do so, we dont like moving posts or suspending anybody but if they just wont listen, what can we do, sorry to others for this thread and the other one yesterday being spoilt, please enjoy the thread now it has been cleaned up, hoping for your cooperation, thanks.

I have noticed over the years that the oldest pigeons produce exceptional youngsters to breed from,some really exceptional ,With this in mind I obtained 2 wonderful 10 year olds whose breeding were second to none

They had never seen a race basket in their life that was immaterial ,I floated the eggs from them over 2 years until I had 6 cocks and 6 hens ,I then paired them to which I considered to be my best bred cocks and hens which had been gifted from friends top racing pigeons ,Everything bred from these were raced one of which hit the crossbar this year,

The dam of the winning cock will now be paired to the old cock and the young put to stock to cross back in to the family ,The winning cock will be paired to his grandmother ,

The above is just an input of my idea's everyone to there own ,Good Luck

It seems to me that if you have proven cocks that have bred winning pigeons for you they should be on the Bull system and mated with many hens. I have mated one cock to 22 hens in the same year. Two sets of 10 plus two hens paired singly to the cock.

I never fly hens after their young bird year because I am not prepared to spend half my life with my pigeons. Roundabout or dual widowhood will take up more time than I am prepared to give to my pigeons. Besides I like to do things in a routine to best standard I can. If I tried to spread myself too thinly I know that things would not be done properly.

I believe in keeping things simple so I like to race Celibate Cocks and breed my youngsters from my Stock birds. If any racing cock shows themselves to be outstanding as a racer he will be transferred to stock even if I have to make way for him by getting rid of a stock bird. This year I will transfer two cocks to stock.