Breeding Tips

tiger

Tips are fine but most of the things you need to do are pretty much common sense. When you ask top Fanciers for advice you must remember that they have a huge advantage over you because they will have better birds on average. These are not birds they have bought from somewhere but birds they will have bred. Most will know the way the birds perform in both breeding and racing which will help them to carry on being successful. However there are things you can do.

Make sure the birds are in the best condition to breed and not overweight. Reduce their weight by feeding good quality barley if you have to. Vaccinate all the birds on your premises towards the end on November. Use mixed grit crumbled clay blocks and a good vitamin/mineral mix fresh every day. Use the Bull system to breed your best cocks to many hens to maximise the best blood you have and to work out which pairings work best. Feed a good breeding mix and pellets. Test all the eggs at 10 days for fertility and transfer eggs so that there are always 2 fertile eggs in every nest. The pairs without fertile eggs will go down again. Transfer all youngsters and their mothers to the young bird loft at 14 days. Use a good floor dressing and put the nest pans on the floor. The hens will do a better job of rearing than the pairs will. The cocks can either be prepared to race as Celibates or Widowers or even given another mate. Alternatively, you can repair the pairs and change the pairings if you want to carry on breeding. While the Cocks are separated from the hens you should check for canker and treat them for worms anyway. The hens must be checked before they are repaired.

Vaccinate all the youngsters at 5 weeks old and again 4 weeks later. Keep them on dry deep litter. If you intend to put the youngsters on to darkness make sure you have them up and flying as quickly as you can. If you allow them to sit about they will become fat lazy birds that will not want to fly. Eventually you will have to force them up which will result in you feeding the falcon and fly aways. :emoticon-0167-beer:

Tips are fine but most of the things you need to do are pretty much common sense. When you ask top Fanciers for advice you must remember that they have a huge advantage over you because they will have better birds on average. These are not birds they have bought from somewhere but birds they will have bred. Most will know the way the birds perform in both breeding and racing which will help them to carry on being successful. However there are things you can do.

Make sure the birds are in the best condition to breed and not overweight. Reduce their weight by feeding good quality barley if you have to. Vaccinate all the birds on your premises towards the end on November. Use mixed grit crumbled clay blocks and a good vitamin/mineral mix fresh every day. Use the Bull system to breed your best cocks to many hens to maximise the best blood you have and to work out which pairings work best. Feed a good breeding mix and pellets. Test all the eggs at 10 days for fertility and transfer eggs so that there are always 2 fertile eggs in every nest. The pairs without fertile eggs will go down again. Transfer all youngsters and their mothers to the young bird loft at 14 days. Use a good floor dressing and put the nest pans on the floor. The hens will do a better job of rearing than the pairs will. The cocks can either be prepared to race as Celibates or Widowers or even given another mate. Alternatively, you can repair the pairs and change the pairings if you want to carry on breeding. While the Cocks are separated from the hens you should check for canker and treat them for worms anyway. The hens must be checked before they are repaired.

Vaccinate all the youngsters at 5 weeks old and again 4 weeks later. Keep them on dry deep litter. If you intend to put the youngsters on to darkness make sure you have them up and flying as quickly as you can. If you allow them to sit about they will become fat lazy birds that will not want to fly. Eventually you will have to force them up which will result in you feeding the falcon and fly aways. :emoticon-0167-beer:

is it possible to rear from the cocks that will be raced on the "Celibate system" ? or have I mis-read it ? :emoticon-0138-thinking:

with dark nights upon us what tips would you give ? and am not just saying winners 2 winners here your chance 2 help out novice,s come on guys lets here them

If your sitting all winter matching your pairs for next year, here is my advice.

You are always trying to improve your odds of breeding a champion and this is the system we adopt (remember the 98% rule)

Stock Pairs,

On paper divide your stock pairs into 3 groups,

Group one are your best pairs.

Group two are the pairs that have potential but not breeding the goods.

Group three are the worst in the loft.

Keep Group one together for another year.

Swap all the birds in Group two.

Get rid of or replace Group three.

Race Birds,

List all your cocks in order of the best to worst and do the same for the hens, now only breed from the top half pairing the top half cocks to the top half hens, use the bottom half as feeders for the stock birds or single rear for the racers.

If your sitting all winter matching your pairs for next year, here is my advice.

You are always trying to improve your odds of breeding a champion and this is the system we adopt (remember the 98% rule)

Stock Pairs,

On paper divide your stock pairs into 3 groups,

Group one are your best pairs.

Group two are the pairs that have potential but not breeding the goods.

Group three are the worst in the loft.

Keep Group one together for another year.

Swap all the birds in Group two.

Get rid of or replace Group three.

Race Birds,

List all your cocks in order of the best to worst and do the same for the hens, now only breed from the top half pairing the top half cocks to the top half hens, use the bottom half as feeders for the stock birds or single rear for the racers.

Not just as simple as that but good post :emoticon-0138-thinking:

Guest chad3646

luck plays a massive part great thread though and some great posts

i had a real good racing cock came back from a race in 2 halfs he was lucky to get home and even lucky to live he is a good one one in the stock loft

cant beat luck lol

whit half did u get first

:emoticon-0140-rofl:

i dont breed champions but

i make sure all is well in loft b4 even pairing up. Keep the weight off the hens. I use straw as bedding for clay bowls and before its used sprayed with fly killer after a half tub of red mite powder is shaked well through it whilst in bag.

I dont like small or dirty eggs and these are removed.

Hormoform is given in pots when eggs are due to hatch and stays in pot until ringing.

Any young (9 times out of 10) that cant hold ring at 6 days is removed.

After ringing ...normal feed in pots and tray fed in da evenin.

Hormoform is given in a pot in tray for all to pick at after ringing.

Grit and Black mineral infront of them at all times

then its in the hands of the gods :rolleyes:

atb

Mick

First thing you have to understand is that other than PROVEN pairings the rest are just our best GUESS, much like trying to predict what youngsters will be your future winners.

We can't "see" what makes the best pairings, so like racing there is a certain amount of Luck in producing birds that turn out to be YOUR Loft champions, if not Club, Fed or National champs, but that is what we all hope for i suppose.

As far as rearing sound Yb's, IMO best leave nature alone, so long as you feed your birds well and give them the usual sundries to pick and choose from they should rear good strong Yb's, if not the Yb's are not going to be up to much anyway.

There are many good racers and producers that are POOR parents, so having a couple of good pairs that can do a good job of rearing Yb's to float the eggs under from the "better" doos can be invaluable to a loft. jmo and i sure ain't no expert in this field of our sport despite the pleasure i get from the exercise of putting them together.

My brother has been helping me around the lofts this past season, and to be perfectly honest he knows NOTHING about pigeons. However i will let him choose 2 or 3 pairings and i wouldn't be surprised in the least if those pairings produce something better than my "knowledgeable" choices!!

I am just in again and have removed further UNNECESSARY posts. If the abuse doesn't stop i can see warn status' reaching the banning point. DRUNK isn't an excuse either, ave just explained that to one or two in the boozer who were also causing offence.

I would expect apologies by PM back and forth tomorrow and hope it improves what has become a ridiculous situation. I would also think one or two might receive Pm's from Archie when he reviews this thread.