Transporters

dkj

what causes so many bad races now. i think most transporters if not all have curtain on there wagons even if its mesh curtain there still will be a build up heat. and the build up heat and ventilation must be terrible for the pigeons in the summer months. in the 60/70 wagons went down the road with just the baskets. plenty air going through the wagons and never had as much bad racing or illness with pigeons

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chad3646

Even the Feds with the most up to date vehicles are having bad races so I dont think its that with all of them.

spot on pigeon man, they are only looking for excuses imo

Imo Davy the transporters are the least likely cause of bad racing. As you will know we have air conditioning in ours, even at that we will still have bad races from time to time.

Also imo all the obstacles the birds have to get through to get home are on the increase, from predators to telephone masts, an increase in pylons and wind farms have a more detrimental affect on our birds.

If transporters were the issue we would have experienced bad racing from the onset of road transport but really its only over the last 10→15 years that there has been a significant increase in losses by fanciers. Jmo.

what causes so many bad races now. i think most transporters if not all have curtain on there wagons even if its mesh curtain there still will be a build up heat. and the build up heat and ventilation must be terrible for the pigeons in the summer months. in the 60/70 wagons went down the road with just the baskets. plenty air going through the wagons and never had as much bad racing or illness with pigeons

So im wrong and your right, is it not acombination of both or more,

Imo Davy the transporters are the least likely cause of bad racing. As you will know we have air conditioning in ours, even at that we will still have bad races from time to time.

Also imo all the obstacles the birds have to get through to get home are on the increase, from predators to telephone masts, an increase in pylons and wind farms have a more detrimental affect on our birds.

If transporters were the issue we would have experienced bad racing from the onset of road transport but really its only over the last 10→15 years that there has been a significant increase in losses by fanciers. Jmo.

So that would coincide with all these new fangled transporters with state of the art baskets and curtains and air conditoning etc then.

Guest chad3646

I was reading a pigeon magazine from the 1950's the other day it speaks about bad races then so its no new thing

it aint a new thing as you say george, as i have said before on hear, they were losing that many youngsters from clashing that they actually raced on a friday

there was no percies about at that time well not many

Percie is a big problem and too many paper pigeons about people keep breeding off birds because there famous names on a bit of paper

I wonder if there would be a lot less losses if people kept half the stock they have now and bred more rounds of there best and kept less young ones some keep breeding more and more each year and the loft is not suitable to hold that many birds

Talking to older fanicers and there telling me stories where a lot of people did not have a stock loft as such they bred there young ones from there old bird race team

I don't think there one single cause tbh

The trouble with our view of transport is that people form opinions without having facts to look at. We need to measure the heat generated in the transporters rather than guess about it. All it takes is to place the high/low thermometers inside the vehicles and record the readings. The moisture content of the air inside the transporters can be measured in the same way.

Very little account is taken about the type of respiratory system of birds as compared with mammals. Birds can not handle polluted air in the way that mammals do and will suffer if they are forced to breath it. Remember the example of canaries down the mines. The canaries keel over and die well before people are aware of the presence of gas. I know that it is an obvious thing to say but pigeons find it hard to lose heat when compared to mammals. They do not sweat and their only way of reducing their body heat is to pant. When the birds are crowded into the crates on a hot day the conditions become terrible because the air becomes laden with moisture from the birds' breath and the heat particularly at the top of the vehicles must be very hard to cope with.

I think that some pigeons can be lucky because they may have the good luck to travel in the airier parts of the vehicle whereas others may be unlucky and find themselves in the areas where the greatest heat is generated.

I have seen transporters with Perspex roofs. Imagine how hot the top of the vehicle must get when it is standing in the hot sun. It must be torture for the birds.

I think that the worse thing about the design of these vehicles is the fact that they are designed and manufactured by people who do not understand what is required by the pigeons. Then the situation is made worse again by the fact that the vehicles actually look impressive and the officials that placed the order can not believe that such a lovely looking vehicle could possibly be doing damage to the birds forced to travel in it.

So my suggestion is that it is time we stopped arguing about these things and actually looked at the facts concerning the vehicles and also the returns of the birds. Rather than go on year after year accepting the huge losses we get in some races surely we should call a halt to the whole thing and do something about it.

There's a good post going on at the moment on another site as regards losses,the post has nothing to do with transporters it's about PMV mutations,now PMV 3.I'll go along with that one.

There are some fanciers on the two local transporters who are getting near 100% returns each week. :emoticon-0138-thinking: :emoticon-0138-thinking:

There's a good post going on at the moment on another site as regards losses,the post has nothing to do with transporters it's about PMV mutations,now PMV 3.I'll go along with that one.

There are some fanciers on the two local transporters who are getting near 100% returns each week. :emoticon-0138-thinking: :emoticon-0138-thinking:

100% some achievement ,can you ask them how ? I would be interested to hear the answers.

pmv 3 is just another strain of pmv id imagine any birds with any strain of pmv would have a problem getting home

haven't seen the convo but health is another reason no doubt about it

pmv 3 is just another strain of pmv id imagine any birds with any strain of pmv would have a problem getting home

haven't seen the convo but health is another reason no doubt about it

ive been on about it for over a year now when we vacinate somthings going through our birds and its not parramixo

100% some achievement ,can you ask them how ? I would be interested to hear the answers.

me to andy must be bop free to lol

The trouble with our view of transport is that people form opinions without having facts to look at. We need to measure the heat generated in the transporters rather than guess about it. All it takes is to place the high/low thermometers inside the vehicles and record the readings. The moisture content of the air inside the transporters can be measured in the same way.

Very little account is taken about the type of respiratory system of birds as compared with mammals. Birds can not handle polluted air in the way that mammals do and will suffer if they are forced to breath it. Remember the example of canaries down the mines. The canaries keel over and die well before people are aware of the presence of gas. I know that it is an obvious thing to say but pigeons find it hard to lose heat when compared to mammals. They do not sweat and their only way of reducing their body heat is to pant. When the birds are crowded into the crates on a hot day the conditions become terrible because the air becomes laden with moisture from the birds' breath and the heat particularly at the top of the vehicles must be very hard to cope with.

I think that some pigeons can be lucky because they may have the good luck to travel in the airier parts of the vehicle whereas others may be unlucky and find themselves in the areas where the greatest heat is generated.

I have seen transporters with Perspex roofs. Imagine how hot the top of the vehicle must get when it is standing in the hot sun. It must be torture for the birds.

I think that the worse thing about the design of these vehicles is the fact that they are designed and manufactured by people who do not understand what is required by the pigeons. Then the situation is made worse again by the fact that the vehicles actually look impressive and the officials that placed the order can not believe that such a lovely looking vehicle could possibly be doing damage to the birds forced to travel in it.

So my suggestion is that it is time we stopped arguing about these things and actually looked at the facts concerning the vehicles and also the returns of the birds. Rather than go on year after year accepting the huge losses we get in some races surely we should call a halt to the whole thing and do something about it.

im with you owen

I feel that Owen has probably got it right,if I might relate a little of my own limited experience regarding transporters,I bought a transporter for our Fed. 6 years ago amidst great controversy.We had it fitted with the proper type of ventilated curtains for the transportation of pigeons,immediately a great uproar arose over the use of these curtains as it was claimed that the birds were too enclosed.However we persevered and the following season an equally loud protest was voiced that the vehicle was running with the curtains open thus allowing rain and mud thrown up by passing traffic to get amongst the doos.No win situation here for Fed officials.We have tried our best to ensure that the health and condition of the pigeons is not compromised and will continue to do so.

So that would coincide with all these new fangled transporters with state of the art baskets and curtains and air conditoning etc then.

Actually it doesn't coincide with anything, i was just giving my opinion on what causes so MANY bad races, not the cause of isolated bad races that can happen any time of the season without there being any Obvious reason for it.

My post clearly says it is NOT the transportation that is the problem however You clearly have an anti Lanarkshire viewpoint which provoked your response to my post before you took time to actually read what i wrote.

As a result of the paramixo scare we had here in South Wales we were fortunate to have Henk De Weerd involved in working out what had made the birds ill. He ran a seminar in which he explained about the fact that YBS was a mutation of Paramixovirus. He went on to explain that viruses often mutate and that there was every possibility that there would be further mutations for us to deal with.

The problem that we now have is that people are speculating and playing guessing games without trying to establish the facts. If as some people now believe there are suspicions that there is a new mutation of Paramixovirus someone should send sick birds to a skilled Vet so that we can know what sickness if any is afflicting the pigeons. Once we have obtained the facts we can do something about vaccinating the birds with a vaccine which targets the disease involved.

In this area I know that there are a lot of people who have been struggling to get their birds up flying and when they have forced the issue by driving the pigeons up to fly the pigeons will go for weeks without bunching. One of my neighbours had his birds flying like a bunch of bees for weeks and of course the Falcon took advantage and took these youngsters easily. I suggested vaccinating the pigeons because I thought it was obvious that the birds were sick due to the fact that they were behaving in an uncharacteristic way. It is natural for pigeons to fly in bunches because it helps them to resist the falcon attacks so when they don't there has to be something wrong. A week after the vaccination the birds started to bunch and within two weeks the pigeons were behaving normally. I think that if pigeons are trained and raced when they have a disease such as Paramixovirus lingering in them there is bound to be heavy losses. However having said that we need to know the truth so that instead of speculating we can do something positive about ensuring that our birds are healthy.

Meanwhile we know that the transport facilities leaves a lot to be desired so at least we can put that right as part of a process of eliminating things that cause us losses and dehydration in our birds on a race day.