Transporters

dkj

Guest Gareth Rankin

So that would coincide with all these new fangled transporters with state of the art baskets and curtains and air conditoning etc then.

Bobby behave yourself, Davies thread is all about enough air being made available, perhaps if you go and travel with the pigeons in these modern vehicles then you would see for yourself as to how good the airflow is, did it for one race myself this season, was amazed at how good it was. Do your homework Bobby.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bobby behave yourself, Davies thread is all about enough air being made available, perhaps if you go and travel with the pigeons in these modern vehicles then you would see for yourself as to how good the airflow is, did it for one race myself this season, was amazed at how good it was. Do your homework Bobby.

Less birds in the baskets is what i would like to see,never been happy with what ive seen,anyone agree?.

If we reduced the number of birds in the baskets it would be a good start to give the birds more air and less heat. It would also help the youngsters to find the drinkers because whether any of us likes it or not people will still enter birds in races without ever having shown them how to drink in the baskets.

how many would you like to see in the baskets?

As we know feds decide how many birds per basket,if its 30 i would rather see 25,plenty room is what i want to see,even members of clubs arrive at clubs with birds crammed into their basket,to me they dont see it as a problem so they dont see a problem in the race basket.

If we reduced the number of birds in the baskets it would be a good start to give the birds more air and less heat. It would also help the youngsters to find the drinkers because whether any of us likes it or not people will still enter birds in races without ever having shown them how to drink in the baskets.

Thanks Owen,that will do for me,keep up your great posts.

Less birds in the baskets is what i would like to see,never been happy with what ive seen,anyone agree?.

I brought this subject up few months ago ,Irish were sitting at st Malo with 14 per basket ,we had 20

Viewing on web sites and magazine's of birds being watered and fed some trying to get over top of others when enlarged the photo's most ever counted being able to eat or drink at once was 7 , got backing from a convoyer who was with the birds and Derek said he would second it for me if put forward at agm ,very true what Davy said it never stops our winners but time we put our house in order omho

I brought this subject up few months ago ,Irish were sitting at st Malo with 14 per basket ,we had 20

Viewing on web sites and magazine's of birds being watered and fed some trying to get over top of others when enlarged the photo's most ever counted being able to eat or drink at once was 7 , got backing from a convoyer who was with the birds and Derek said he would second it for me if put forward at agm ,very true what Davy said it never stops our winners but time we put our house in order omho

Agree 100%,and as we know there is always a winner no matter the conditions.

i think blaming transporters is barking up the wrong tree , less birds in basketts is better but have had great races in the past with more in them

sickness poor quality pigeons birds of prey and freak weather all play there part in the mix of problems

i think blaming transporters is barking up the wrong tree , less birds in basketts is better but have had great races in the past with more in them

sickness poor quality pigeons birds of prey and freak weather all play there part in the mix of problems

your barking up the right tree now. how many fanciers bother to basket train? some don't know the birds are sick jmo

Think you have hit the nail on the head there rab I notice it in my own fed fanciers with far to much doos hoping the numbers game pays off even though they either can't see it or admit it I don't know . I am starting to believe budgie with his 2% if we are honest with each other we have to much average doos I started the old bird season with 16 doos and have 12 left in which if I wanted to do well in a race I could rely on maybe 2 or 3 of them. The rest of them are in reality just making up numbers . What I,m getting at is why do so many fanciers play the percentage game instead of being a real doo man and selector of good doos and race a small team or is there to much medioca fanciers nowadays and by the way I,m just a average fancier myself.

Think you have hit the nail on the head there rab I notice it in my own fed fanciers with far to much doos hoping the numbers game pays off even though they either can't see it or admit it I don't know . I am starting to believe budgie with his 2% if we are honest with each other we have to much average doos I started the old bird season with 16 doos and have 12 left in which if I wanted to do well in a race I could rely on maybe 2 or 3 of them. The rest of them are in reality just making up numbers . What I,m getting at is why do so many fanciers play the percentage game instead of being a real doo man and selector of good doos and race a small team or is there to much medioca fanciers nowadays and by the way I,m just a average fancier myself.

some good points Robbie and Rab yes numbers in the basket do play a big part overcrowding al;so the major one health problems a lot of fanciers aint got a clue when some things wrong and still race their birds infecting all others and yes every one keeps a lot more birds now that's a fact the 9 pair days are gone weather plays a big part but there are a lot of other factors aswell regards u being an ave fancier Robbie that's a joke your with out doubt one of the best fanciers in the North your results prove that over the years :emoticon-0167-beer:

There's a good post going on at the moment on another site as regards losses,the post has nothing to do with transporters it's about PMV mutations,now PMV 3.I'll go along with that one.

There are some fanciers on the two local transporters who are getting near 100% returns each week. :emoticon-0138-thinking: :emoticon-0138-thinking:

I was interested in this, as I'd not heard.

I think there might be a bit of a mix-up though as there's always been something like a 'PMV 1 to 9' with each number being a different Type of PMV that infects a particular species of bird, with 1 being pigeons. Within each type there have also always been lots of different Strains. For example La Sota is the PMV-1 strain that the pigeon paramyxovirus vaccine is made from.

But in trying to find out more about PMV on the web, I came across the Australian Government advice to vets (PMV entered Australia in 2011) and I was really surprised that some of the symptoms given in it for paramyxo - crop retention, sickness, diarroea (spelling) - sound very like the same symptoms as YBS. So might the actual disease be mistaken?

The relevance for transporters is that no matter how good, they are a perfect opportunity for disease to spread.

I agree 100%. Even when I train my pigeons I never overcrowd my baskets , in fact a twenty bird basket I only put max12 , and a 10 bird. I put in a max. 6 , we put 27 in our Geraldy crates ,then when we get out a bit we put in 25 ,then 22. For the longest races , I would like to see max 25. ,then 21 Then Down 18 . , its amazing when you go to first couple of young bird races they cram in probably 30 in each crate at times , and we wonder how we lose them and catch all sorts .

I agree 100%. Even when I train my pigeons I never overcrowd my baskets , in fact a twenty bird basket I only put max12 , and a 10 bird. I put in a max. 6 , we put 27 in our Geraldy crates ,then when we get out a bit we put in 25 ,then 22. For the longest races , I would like to see max 25. ,then 21 Then Down 18 . , its amazing when you go to first couple of young bird races they cram in probably 30 in each crate at times , and we wonder how we lose them and catch all sorts .

Spot on,good stuff from a National Winner and maybe that way of thinking is one of the reasons why.

hear we go the masons are at it again lol

Am naw in the Masonic chad ,but ma dad is . Ps I also mentioned a few years ago at a national committee meeting about giving the birds grit in baskets if they are in them for a long time , I actually bought a big bag and gave it to the lorry driver , I know what mines are like if I run out of it during the winter , 2/3 days and they go mad for it . Any thoughts on this ?

Guest chad3646

Am naw in the Masonic chad ,but ma dad is . Ps I also mentioned a few years ago at a national committee meeting about giving the birds grit in baskets if they are in them for a long time , I actually bought a big bag and gave it to the lorry driver , I know what mines are like if I run out of it during the winter , 2/3 days and they go mad for it . Any thoughts on this ?

did you have permission to do this ?

Guest chad3646

The birds at the Nationals should be fed maize only and electrolytes

in the water

i agree there delboy if given grit the first thing they want to do is drink and you know the talk about birds getting a drink