Transporters

dkj

The birds at the Nationals should be fed maize only and electrolytes

in the water

I think care is needed with water additives. I don't see the point of adding electrolytes as this is supposed to balance a loss of 'salt' from the bird's body. There shouldn't be any loss or imbalance before the race, so giving this must create imbalance and through it thirst, which must also increase with each subsequent drink.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think care is needed with water additives. I don't see the point of adding electrolytes as this is supposed to balance a loss of 'salt' from the bird's body. There shouldn't be any loss or imbalance before the race, so giving this must create imbalance and through it thirst, which must also increase with each subsequent drink.

Don't disagree IB but common sense should apply here. Electolytes in water followed by water only on evening before lib and on day of lib, obviously.

Less birds in the baskets is what i would like to see,never been happy with what ive seen,anyone agree?.

i dont think u need 2 reduce the birds in baskets. if you have no curtains on. because you will have ample flow of air. and no heat build up on the transporter either. this will be far better. worth a try anyway

IB

I appreciate that we all have our points of view but if you do not agree with the people who are saying that there are doubts about the transporters why not do as a friend and I did, actually measure the issues. It is not difficult or expensive to obtain about half a dozen high/low thermometers and place them into the various positions in the vehicle. Then instead of people arguing we can have a reasoned debate. It is the same with the humidity levels, they can be measured.

In regard to the way pigeons lose heat. They can only lose heat by panting and do not sweat so I think that it is obvious that they require more space than they are currently getting and in those circumstances water is very important. So to provide just one drinking position on the crates has to be wrong. I think there must be a minimum of two sides to the crates available for drinkers.

got to agree with ian on that dell most of it has glucose in it which would make them thirst more surely imo

yes but if they cant get to the water next day they would be choking at lib time m8

Walter, read my earlier post, it says water only the day before lib and morning of lib.

Don't disagree IB but common sense should apply here. Electolytes in water followed by water only on evening before lib and on day of lib, obviously.

still dont fancy it dell dont like the idea of giving them anything that makes them more thirsty m8 but thats just imo

That's the reason electrlytes wont be used Walter, just takes one not to fancy it and then the negative vibe starts.It was the same at a SNFC meeting I was at when it was proposed to feed only maize to the birds away to the channel races as this is done with great success in the continent. A couple of guys didn't fancy it and it didn't even go to a vote.

IB

I appreciate that we all have our points of view but if you do not agree with the people who are saying that there are doubts about the transporters why not do as a friend and I did, actually measure the issues. It is not difficult or expensive to obtain about half a dozen high/low thermometers and place them into the various positions in the vehicle. Then instead of people arguing we can have a reasoned debate. It is the same with the humidity levels, they can be measured.

In regard to the way pigeons lose heat. They can only lose heat by panting and do not sweat so I think that it is obvious that they require more space than they are currently getting and in those circumstances water is very important. So to provide just one drinking position on the crates has to be wrong. I think there must be a minimum of two sides to the crates available for drinkers.

Owen, The point I was disputing was the use of electrolytes on the transporter.

I do agree that improvements are needed, especially with water and feeding, with both done using troughs on 3 sides of every basket. I believe only the MNFC transporter has water provision on 3 sides, and that's the standard of water provision that I'd like all the others to adopt.

Unfortunately, a lot of people seem welded to old ideas like wicker & shavings.

Guest chad3646

yes you can try to improve but what do you do, you have got the state of the art transporters with all the mod cons and they are losing lots of pigeons every week, there is something wrong other than the transporters IMO

yes you can try to improve but what do you do, you have got the state of the art transporters with all the mod cons and they are losing lots of pigeons every week, there is something wrong other than the transporters IMO

100% agree

One of the major problems is the health of the pigeons expected to race home

"State of the Art Transporters"? In the World of livestock which includes loft design and nutrition there are many ideas founded on human values. I feel strongly that we should put those old fashioned attitudes to one side and use vehicles that actually takes care of the pigeons' needs. The transport of pigeons is not about the sleek looking transporters we often see or on the other hand as Ian Brown says it is not about the dilapidated wicker baskets either. The first thing that should be done is to work out the ideal conditions needed to transport the pigeons and after doing that the designing can proceed. Pigeons need a current of air to begin with, they also need adequate drinking facilities that are not intimidating and easy for the birds to use. They need shelter from the weather without interrupting the availability of air. The temperature and humidity must be constantly under close scrutiny and the figures recorded for examination by Federation Officials later. The exhaust system of the vehicles must be checked to ensure that fumes can not reach the pigeons either when the vehicle is in motion or stationary.

These are just a few points but much more work must be done to make sure that when we transport pigeons it does not lead to discomfort or illness.

owen you are saying these are just a few points, to put all those points in motion it is going to take some doing especially with our climate

maybe so but why not reach for the highest levels if you fall slightly short you will still come up too a good level

with so many transporters being used the collection of information should be no problem at all

Guest chad3646

maybe so but why not reach for the highest levels if you fall slightly short you will still come up too a good level

with so many transporters being used the collection of information should be no problem at all

reach for the highest levels, give the guys a chance they have made great progress getting the new transporters, that is lanarkshire fed. are use u still using the chunky chicken wagon

there are alot of factors i believe all baskets and crates should be cleaned and sprayed wi jayes fulid after every race lazy bassazs that dont train the youngsters properly should not be allowed on transporters and i also would like to see three weekly checks on youngsters by the vet be mandatory then the lasy and dirty bassazzs would have to do things proper i know this would help also de-weerd advises on double jagging for pmv with youngsters which if all these things were carried out as well as feds racing within an 80 mile radius should use the same racepoints and lib together im sure this would improve youngbird racing instead of race controllers having to be air traffic controllers

what causes so many bad races now. i think most transporters if not all have curtain on there wagons even if its mesh curtain there still will be a build up heat. and the build up heat and ventilation must be terrible for the pigeons in the summer months. in the 60/70 wagons went down the road with just the baskets. plenty air going through the wagons and never had as much bad racing or illness with pigeons

Absolutely bang on mate.

Air conditioning units are one of the worse things ever created. All fine and dandy getting a blast of cold air but its the quality of air.

In order for this system to function effectively the area must be fully enclosed, whether that be your car, house, office or pigeon transporter. The warm air gets circulated through a cooler and re-enters as cold air.... but its the same air.

In these huge office workplace environments with AC units there is a rise in people off work with the usual illness, cold , flu etc., all this being attributed by the AC system. The air contains bugs and viruses only for it to be constantly circulated...... this applies to transporters with AC units, youngsters with sickness will spread this through the entire transporter.

Just my opinion B)

Guest chad3646

Absolutely bang on mate.

Air conditioning units are one of the worse things ever created. All fine and dandy getting a blast of cold air but its the quality of air.

In order for this system to function effectively the area must be fully enclosed, whether that be your car, house, office or pigeon transporter. The warm air gets circulated through a cooler and re-enters as cold air.... but its the same air.

In these huge office workplace environments with AC units there is a rise in people off work with the usual illness, cold , flu etc., all this being attributed by the AC system. The air contains bugs and viruses only for it to be constantly circulated...... this applies to transporters with AC units, youngsters with sickness will spread this through the entire transporter.

Just my opinion B)

never had bad races in the 60 or 70 :emoticon-0127-lipssealed: :emoticon-0127-lipssealed: :emoticon-0127-lipssealed:

Personally think wicker baskets are the best design as the basket itself breaths in air and moister but where it falls short is on holdovers when the birds are standing in their own crap for 3/4/5 days and I am a big critic of how we water our birds in baskets but they survived for many years like this but would like to see drinkers on three sides of basket. Is it true that the new geraldy transporters Lanarkshire have don't have drinkers on three sides .