National Racing?

blucock

Why is there a core of fanciers who will not come out of the 1900s? In thus day and age to say that National racing should only be from the continent is extremely archaic and closed-minded. We moan that the continentals are light years ahead of us yet here we are seeing posts saying there should be no such thing as inland nationals?

These so-called "blow homes" are 300-400 miles to the majority of fanciers in Scotland - you will see the Dutch,Belgians,English,Irish race nationals from MUCH SHORTER and the world falls over itself to pay top dollar for these pigeons, including Scottish fanciers.

The inland nationals have a place and are the future of racing into Scotland - my only caveat is that area libs would assist returns greatly.

When we are losing birds at 100 miles never mind 5-600 why are there so many calls for inland racing to be scrapped?? We are our own worst enemy. The sport needs to get it's rose tinted spectacles off and realise there is a place for racing at all distances.

Some feds should actually be looking at scrapping their programmes altogether for a two year period and having a series of short-middle races in order to respite the fanciers and let them build up without the pressure of having to go with the Nationals to compete in club racing. For me, the two should be separate.

Thoughts??

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is there a core of fanciers who will not come out of the 1900s? In thus day and age to say that National racing should only be from the continent is extremely archaic and closed-minded. We moan that the continentals are light years ahead of us yet here we are seeing posts saying there should be no such thing as inland nationals?

These so-called "blow homes" are 300-400 miles to the majority of fanciers in Scotland - you will see the Dutch,Belgians,English,Irish race nationals from MUCH SHORTER and the world falls over itself to pay top dollar for these pigeons, including Scottish fanciers.

The inland nationals have a place and are the future of racing into Scotland - my only caveat is that area libs would assist returns greatly.

When we are losing birds at 100 miles never mind 5-600 why are there so many calls for inland racing to be scrapped?? We are our own worst enemy. The sport needs to get it's rose tinted spectacles off and realise there is a place for racing at all distances.

Some feds should actually be looking at scrapping their programmes altogether for a two year period and having a series of short-middle races in order to respite the fanciers and let them build up without the pressure of having to go with the Nationals to compete in club racing. For me, the two should be separate.

Thoughts??

Well for me 300 miles or so is middle distance and Feds did and still should cover these races and let the real nationals flourish , the snfc was founded to promote distance racing from the continent end of , these inland races are a waste of time ,money making that's all this is my opinion , not archaic jmo .

Thoughts??

The SNFC was setup for distance racing was it not?

I am not against the inland nats, just dont send many to them and have had worse races from them, returns wise, than I have had over the water?

Area libs, wot are they? Are you suggesting we have national races where the west are released at diffo time than the east?

Federation races are the life blood of pigeon racing, why would they be scraped? So you could build a team from short races? Hmm my worse race this year was from ingleton under 100 miles!!

Canny agree with you on this one Blucock. Fed racing is what the MAJORITY of fanciers want and members want to race from all distances against those around them. IMO National racing from inland race points will be a thing of the past long before Fed's will even consider a reduced program which would only suit the Minority, of which i am one. Its for the SNFC to make changes as it was them who have tread on the toes of the Fed's programs by introducing inland races.

This would NOT suit me personally but i am only One fancier who is in the Minority group.

As a previous winner of the SNFC Newbury race in 2002 by some 50 ypm, the buzz was unreal but it was only from 260 miles.

However, this was nothing compared to what we've experienced from channel racing.

The SNFC was created for channel racing, promoting long distance racing into Scotland, for those that cant acept this may I suggest they enjoy their sprinting with their federations.

When we hear those who shout about how many national dipolmas they have won..... how many are from over the channel I wonder.

Inland nationals...... get rid off !!!

Well for me 300 miles or so is middle distance and Feds did and still should cover these races and let the real nationals flourish , the snfc was founded to promote distance racing from the continent end of , these inland races are a waste of time ,money making that's all this is my opinion , not archaic jmo .

money-making? Yes, so forget that money and add say £2 per bird for channel races for water....? That ok?

As a previous winner of the SNFC Newbury race in 2002 by some 50 ypm, the buzz was unreal but it was only from 260 miles.

However, this was nothing compared to what we've experienced from channel racing.

The SNFC was created for channel racing, promoting long distance racing into Scotland, for those that cant acept this may I suggest they enjoy their sprinting with their federations.

When we hear those who shout about how many national dipolmas they have won..... how many are from over the channel I wonder.

I would not belittle anyone who wins a national diploma ,be it inland or overseas , it's just a different level of competition , and as u say chris the buzz u get timing out of France/Belgium. Fk me you've still got a wee grin for weeks after it .

Just noticed this post about National racing and thought i would add a wee bit more.It seems that the posts so far have all been from 'the central belt'for lack of a better word,what about the fanciers from the North who fly about 490 for their longest Fed race and about the 450 mark for the inland National,where would 490 take you,over the water?Flying from France is 600 plus,now thats distance flying,i don't think you would have many birds for the National if they made it 600 plus to your area.Inland Nationals.....Keep Them.

money-making? Yes, so forget that money and add say £2 per bird for channel races for water....? That ok?

Doesn't other me how much it is a bird , I think us in Scotland have got away with it for years with low birdage fees , fk it costs £ 6 or a return on the bus 20 /30 miles , think £10 / bird would cover all costs but think that some fanciers would cut their teams by a bird or two , or put less in pools .

chris your flying 260 from newbury

the north section are flying 400 to 450

as said many times before we fly further from the inland nationals

than some fly out of nationals from france and Belgium

you cant help where you fly from cucumstances dictate that

but cater for all and keep the inland races going

why not liberate on a Friday where possible and take clashing out the equasion

I recon from newbury the birds are not corridor fling

they are split up and spread wide over the country in small batches

so hitting traffic all the way up country

that's why losses are bad at this race and only slightly better at the next national race

where they are libbed on the east and hug the coast a lot of the way up

jmo dave

F..k you Jack is the feeling I get when reading some of these posts,I believe that S.N.F.C. should promote races from all distances,not all members keep or are interested in short races or even middle distance races they are only interested in longer distance racing and indeed vice versa is it not up to each member to decide whether to enter birds in any race they choose to and the best way is to have a selection of distances as at present,one is not forced to enter any race,someone has quoted that the S.N.F.C. states that it is to promote long distance racing into Scotland......how many members send birds to the longest race in the S.N.F.C. program.....many years ago (IT MAY STILL BE THE SAME)on your Rennes entry form you had to name the race point that was to be flown for the blue riband,I ask you how many members put Nantes which was the furthest race on the program not very many south of fife.....cater for all pigeon faciers short/middle/long races we need one and other......good luck to all.

Guest chad3646

F..k you Jack is the feeling I get when reading some of these posts,I believe that S.N.F.C. should promote races from all distances,not all members keep or are interested in short races or even middle distance races they are only interested in longer distance racing and indeed vice versa is it not up to each member to decide whether to enter birds in any race they choose to and the best way is to have a selection of distances as at present,one is not forced to enter any race,someone has quoted that the S.N.F.C. states that it is to promote long distance racing into Scotland......how many members send birds to the longest race in the S.N.F.C. program.....many years ago (IT MAY STILL BE THE SAME)on your Rennes entry form you had to name the race point that was to be flown for the blue riband,I ask you how many members put Nantes which was the furthest race on the program not very many south of fife.....cater for all pigeon faciers short/middle/long races we need one and other......good luck to all.

well said; mate in my opinion there will be no channel races shortly, because there wont be enough quality pigeons left jmo

chris your flying 260 from newbury

the north section are flying 400 to 450

as said many times before we fly further from the inland nationals

than some fly out of nationals from france and Belgium

you cant help where you fly from cucumstances dictate that

but cater for all and keep the inland races going

why not liberate on a Friday where possible and take clashing out the equasion

I recon from newbury the birds are not corridor fling

they are split up and spread wide over the country in small batches

so hitting traffic all the way up country

that's why losses are bad at this race and only slightly better at the next national race

where they are libbed on the east and hug the coast a lot of the way up

jmo dave

Dave your spot on there just because there only flying 260 miles your have no to have your race from 450 miles ,they want one from 440 and your flying 700 very selfish especiallly when theres hardly a race they fly 500miles from ..As i have said before If Chris wants to fly distance he should join NFC and send with the boys just over the border and he would get all the distance he wants albeit he widny count and couldny have his cake and eat it Davy

agreed ....

Thoughts??

Yes that are the most popular these days , the inland ones, if people don't like them don't go to them , we should have more choice not less, I myself like the way it is.

It was only talked about last year.

I genuinely think it's time to add this issue to the SNFC AGM agenda.

As with a lot of these things it's not the proposal itself, it's the people that propose them that get the votes. This is unfortunate.

I'm sure a proposal to drop all three inland races won't be the most ridiculous at the 2014 meeting from what I've been lead to believe :emoticon-0179-headbang::emoticon-0136-giggle:

It was only talked about last year.

I genuinely think it's time to add this issue to the SNFC AGM agenda.

As with a lot of these things it's not the proposal itself, it's the people that propose them that get the votes. This is unfortunate.

I'm sure a proposal to drop all three inland races won't be the most ridiculous at the 2014 meeting from what I've been lead to believe :emoticon-0179-headbang::emoticon-0136-giggle:

what 3 inland races do we have lewis ?? are you including the yb nat in that :emoticon-0138-thinking:

Watched this debate before with interest and would like to offer my views. First off a national race is a national race whether it is 200 miles or 700 miles. What would happen if there was no channel? In some of the NATIONAL Flying Club races from across the CHANNEL many competitors are flying 150 miles or less.I enjoy the inland nationals and think they should stay. If members don't want to go then that is their choice but don't deprive those that want to compete. My federation races from Leicester the same day as Newbury and I enjoy having the two races on the go with a few at the national and the rest of the team at Leicester. The race point doesn't really bother me. As for Maidstone it is much better flying against a few thousand birds as opposed to hundreds in a fed race. The number of entries at channel races is falling because there is less interest in this type of racing now. We are never going to get back to the days when 7000 pigeons went to Rennes. The point has been made about gold cup birds being lost at Newbury. They can go down just as easily at a club race or even training. I`ll finish with a radical idea. Make Tours the Gold Cup race and go with the NFC to Saintes for the longest race and have Clermont a week earlier. Ypres can stay where it is although I think it affects the entry for both the Gold Cup and Clermont. Why?... because it is "easier"

Dave your spot on there just because there only flying 260 miles your have no to have your race from 450 miles ,they want one from 440 and your flying 700 very selfish especiallly when theres hardly a race they fly 500miles from ..As i have said before If Chris wants to fly distance he should join NFC and send with the boys just over the border and he would get all the distance he wants albeit he widny count and couldny have his cake and eat it Davy

Cmon now Rab, if ye fly 480miles to the gold cup then thats where you live is it not? Inland nats at 260miles are a whole diffo ball game than 480??

I have no probs wotever in inland nats and see them as a natural progresion to a bigger,stronger SNFC where all members have racing that they feels suits them?

BUT claiming that it is easy to fly in section A from the gold cup and others is utter tosh. Diffo horses for diffo courses are required granted but the same dedication and commitment is a must and the thought of simply sending at timing cos you fly less than your competitors insults us deeply.

The fanciers in Cumbris, especially the west, have it hard enuff without us joining in??

Just read recently of a bird topping the combine for the 5th time from the water into west cumbria??? There cant be many birds about that can boast that record into a place that the RAF struggle to fly in LOL!!!

Cmon guys its a hard game at best?

what 3 inland races do we have lewis ?? are you including the yb nat in that :emoticon-0138-thinking:

Aye Rab

I've said before and will again-The Leicester young bird national is the least credible race on the programme.

How this race was conceived is beyond me. Some members don't even fly 200 miles from Leicester, this into an area that when incorporating most of the members is close to 180 miles long and 110 miles wide.

I'm sure if left as it is the inland nationals would dig their own hole, but what worries me is the damage it'd do to federations and channel racing in the process.

[/color]

Cmon now Rab, if ye fly 480miles to the gold cup then thats where you live is it not? Inland nats at 260miles are a whole diffo ball game than 480??

I have no probs wotever in inland nats and see them as a natural progresion to a bigger,stronger SNFC where all members have racing that they feels suits them?

BUT claiming that it is easy to fly in section A from the gold cup and others is utter tosh. Diffo horses for diffo courses are required granted but the same dedication and commitment is a must and the thought of simply sending at timing cos you fly less than your competitors insults us deeply.

The fanciers in Cumbris, especially the west, have it hard enuff without us joining in??

Just read recently of a bird topping the combine for the 5th time from the water into west cumbria??? There cant be many birds about that can boast that record into a place that the RAF struggle to fly in LOL!!!

Cmon guys its a hard game at best?

steve its no a dig at the south boys you stay where ye stay , but for someone to say the inlands are P*** coz its only 260 to him when theres lads flying 480 to the far north oot of the same race so thats aboot the same as 480 tae the gold cup tae him is it no !!!!!!!!well thats only 480 same as the north boys so that must be pishe tae , as a said if he wants he should try tarbes way the nfc and put hiss doos where his mouth is and no de cry the boys fly 450 + oot the inlands . I personally wid prefer the inlands to go but a widny say there a waste of space if folk like it cause i only fly 400 odd fae eastbourne etc as there boys flying ower 500

Aye Rab

I've said before and will again-The Leicester young bird national is the least credible race on the programme.

How this race was conceived is beyond me. Some members don't even fly 200 miles from Leicester, this into an area that when incorporating most of the members is close to 180 miles long and 110 miles wide.

I'm sure if left as it is the inland nationals would dig their own hole, but what worries me is the damage it'd do to federations and channel racing in the process.

Lewis , you have got to remember the nats don't end in central Scotland , people up north fly 500 in inland races, the whole country races .

steve its no a dig at the south boys you stay where ye stay , but for someone to say the inlands are P*** coz its only 260 to him when theres lads flying 480 to the far north oot of the same race so thats aboot the same as 480 tae the gold cup tae him is it no !!!!!!!!well thats only 480 same as the north boys so that must be pishe tae , as a said if he wants he should try tarbes way the nfc and put hiss doos where his mouth is and no de cry the boys fly 450 + oot the inlands . I personally wid prefer the inlands to go but a widny say there a waste of space if folk like it cause i only fly 400 odd fae eastbourne etc as there boys flying ower 500

Maybe a daft question rab but who flys over 500 miles from inland races ? I've looked at the last few Eastbourne results and the only one that ones close is a guy from Macduff. 491 miles and he was well up in the result .i posted on another thread that due to the boys further north I think Huntingdon would do for an inland race. , I would call it the inland derby. Instead of national , as the INFC. Have a race in there program call a derby ? Would give the guys further north a better / fairer race about 360 /400 miles I would think