National Racing?

blucock

Guest Gareth Rankin

Are you seriously suggesting that members have birds at Maidstone which they intended sending back to Alencon?

No not at all, but not all fanciers are die hards, that would do anything to get there doos away go the gold cup. I remember a couple of years ago when this race didn't get liberated until the day before the gold cup, it was a hard race with poor returns, clocks in the west didn't get done until 11.00 in morning, when asking fanciers how many they were sending to the gold cup, there reply was just going to keep them for Ypres, no doubt this was down to this poor race being so close to the gold cup (some people have a life outside doos), but probably also because they started to doubt the ability of the own doos, also down to the fact they need a break from national racing.

Look at all the other national and classic clubs, they all have a two - three week gap between races.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about one inland race (Maidstone) flown two weeks before the Gold Cup, that would have been last week, giving the birds, the committee, the transporter drivers and the fanciers a break and all would be fresh for the Gold Cup.

This will give everyone an option of middle and distance racing.

How about one inland race (Maidstone) flown two weeks before the Gold Cup, that would have been last week, giving the birds, the committee, the transporter drivers and the fanciers a break and all would be fresh for the Gold Cup.

Sounds perfect mate would get my vote

Aye mine as well robert , now you all need to remember when the AGM is and get to it .

No not at all, but not all fanciers are die hards, that would do anything to get there doos away go the gold cup. I remember a couple of years ago when this race didn't get liberated until the day before the gold cup, it was a hard race with poor returns, clocks in the west didn't get done until 11.00 in morning, when asking fanciers how many they were sending to the gold cup, there reply was just going to keep them for Ypres, no doubt this was down to this poor race being so close to the gold cup (some people have a life outside doos), but probably also because they started to doubt the ability of the own doos, also down to the fact they need a break from national racing.

Look at all the other national and classic clubs, they all have a two - three week gap between races.

Fair point. One problem is the Gold Cup is sacred and has to be the last week in June. I think the time may have come to consider moving it forward a week. Only thing is most feds don't race gold cup weekend and it would impact on fed programmes which upsets your ordinary members

Fair point. One problem is the Gold Cup is sacred and has to be the last week in June. I think the time may have come to consider moving it forward a week. Only thing is most feds don't race gold cup weekend and it would impact on fed programmes which upsets your ordinary members

Can I ask a question ? WHY HAS the gold cup got to be on the last week in June ? What just because its always been on that date , expletive remove the seasons. Are all changing and so should we ?

I agree with your thoughts on Newbury. I said I thought it is ‘off line of route’ and had already decided last year not to send again, and didn’t.

But I didn’t say that it had no impact on Channel Races. I said that Federation racing had a bigger impact on channel candidates – most do a lot of their roadwork in these races - and they were going down well before Newbury – mine included. I agree that many distance men use Newbury as their set-up race for the Gold Cup, but most of the 5000 birds entered are entered as serious candidates in that race, they are middle distance racers in a middle distance race and their next race is not the Gold Cup it’s the second middle distance race in the program, Maidstone. Maidstone is also the set-up race for Clermont, but as with Newbury most of the birds in it are middle distance birds.

Maybe of line for you but not for us we race west route so it's good for our birds

Maybe of line for you but not for us we race west route so it's good for our birds

Very true solway only 150 away to Maidstone ,west birds win on a west route east birds win on a east route with Portsmouth being centre of the south coast surely that's where our national should be from plenty of time for all birds to get on there line and fair to all .

Very true solway only 150 away to Maidstone ,west birds win on a west route east birds win on a east route with Portsmouth being centre of the south coast surely that's where our national should be from plenty of time for all birds to get on there line and fair to all .

Now your talking mick ideal for everyone