Advice On Natural Please.

Poppy Loft

This will be my first old bird season. I have 34 yearlings and am going to race natural. What would be the best time to pair up and take a round from them? If I paired now will they be dropping too many flights by April? How many flights dropped would you consider a bird to be good to race? Does letting them rear two rounds bring on the moult? I have one or two that I want to try out to 450 miles, is it better to pair these later than the others? Also what is the best condition to send cocks/hens sitting, with young, pairing and which do you think is better for sprint/distance. Any thoughts much appreciated, thanks in advance.

They start their moult 6 days after they lay again after first round.

If you have 15 - 17 pairs I think mid to end March for two race teams is plenty early enough to pair up. Old timers - and me - 1st week in April. Mind no good for the dark system which you won't be doing.

After u take the first nest and they are sitting their second pair of eggs approx 6 to 8 days they will

Drop their first flight u could split them after first round and repair them later for longer racing

There is loads of conditions u can send birds to the races this u have to find out from your birds

As long as you have them healthy and get the condition right u have the same chance as your

Competitors observation will tell you a lot

I can't think why you would even consider flying pieons natural these days. It takes more time, petrol and work. And after all that you will struggle to win anything if you are unlucky ennough to have a good widowhood flyer in your club. And if you decide to rear youngsters from your racers you really will be in trouble.

Guest H@wkBait

I can't think why you would even consider flying pieons natural these days. It takes more time, petrol and work. And after all that you will struggle to win anything if you are unlucky ennough to have a good widowhood flyer in your club. And if you decide to rear youngsters from your racers you really will be in trouble.

nonsense!

Why cant I rear from racers? Where are this seasons ybs supposed to come from?

DRIVEL

Why cant I rear from racers? Where are this seasons ybs supposed to come from?

Its my personal opinion but if you you are just starting up i would try and get some decent stock birds. The biggest mistake people make in this sport is rearing from birds that have never won anything, i would never rear out of my race team, the only way to move forward in this sport is to rear from proven breeders. You will only breed birds as good as the birds breeding them. You probably will have to rear out of your racers this year due to no stock, you cant build a family if you end up losing the birds that bred you youngsters.

As for natural i tend to agree a little with owen, to much hard work, widowhood is easier to work with when you are new, and in my opinion its the best overall system, just ask geoff cooper who gets widowhood cocks from 650 plus miles. No natural system going on there.

But good luck for the coming season, there will be some tough lessons you will learn but stick with it mate, this sport isnt easy but when you get it right you will absolutely be addicted to it, its in the blood.

Jas.

Its my personal opinion but if you you are just starting up i would try and get some decent stock birds. The biggest mistake people make in this sport is rearing from birds that have never won anything, i would never rear out of my race team, the only way to move forward in this sport is to rear from proven breeders. You will only breed birds as good as the birds breeding them. You probably will have to rear out of your racers this year due to no stock, you cant build a family if you end up losing the birds that bred you youngsters.

As for natural i tend to agree a little with owen, to much hard work, widowhood is easier to work with when you are new, and in my opinion its the best overall system, just ask geoff cooper who gets widowhood cocks from 650 plus miles. No natural system going on there.

But good luck for the coming season, there will be some tough lessons you will learn but stick with it mate, this sport isnt easy but when you get it right you will absolutely be addicted to it, its in the blood.

Jas.

Thanks Jas, I can understand what you are saying with regard to building a family. I read the reply from Owen as meaning rearing ybs from the racing team would be detrimental to their performance. I have spoken to a few people and opinions on widowhood or natural are divided to say the least! I have gone for natural as I can remember my dad and granddad using it and also I can race hens as well. The problem with stock birds would be space, if you would be so kind as to pop around and explain to my good lady wife why I need another loft in addition to the two which take up most of the garden! :emoticon-0136-giggle: To be honest I have a couple of pairs for stock at the moment and I did broach the subject of a stock loft, but I'm afraid it would be me sleeping in it!

It was a very steep learning curve with last seasons ybs and I certainly made my share of stupid mistakes and threw some good birds away. I cant wait for it all to start mate, as you say its in the blood!

Good luck in the new season,

Mark.

strange statement owen

ive seen motovated natural birds wipe the floor with widdowhood cocks

short and long distance, cocks driveing ,hens on chipping eggs,

cocks on a 10 day old youngster, etc etc

then other days widdowhood cocks coming good

it all depends on the weather/wind

so horses for courses as they say

Guest H@wkBait

All racing methods work great but are only as good as the fancier applying them. Keep things as natural as possible and nature wont bite back such as darkened yb's no neeeed at all

I thought you might like a bit more of my drivel. If you want to try to rear youngsters from unproven stock and win with them while being on a budget you really are likely to come unstuck. And of course there are people who can win with natural pigeons. I don't claim to be good at natural flying but I close friend Colin Pearce did it for years and won a lot of races. When I saw the work he put into the birds and the training he did I knew that it was not for me. He would flag the birds to make them do their stint around home and also trained them hard. When it came to breeding he relied on his stock birds to produce his youngsters. He definately did not expect the birds to rear youngsters and race the programme. As I recall his method of pairing was to pair up late and get the birds into a certain nest condition so that they would be on top form for a particular race. Regardless of what some think I reckon that just like other sports pigeon racing has moved on. I still think that top widowhood flyers using modern feeding and techniques should dominate natural flyers with one possible exception. The exception is probably long distance which is something I know little about and besides I am not even slightly interested in. My job is to fly a small team of cocks to win races on sprint to middle distances. I think I know something about that.

I only started up a few year ago, I was told widowhood was the way forward and couldn't agree more, haven't done me any harm. I was watching a Dvd a few weeks ago, A flyer flew 1st until the last on widowhood and won the longest race 500+ miles 12 year on the trott. a widowhood cock will beat a natural pigeon 9/10 times as long as it's in good health.

I plan to be flying natural this season I have roughly 25 pairs I will pair up in the middle of Febuary once paired up and down on eggs the pigeons will be on an open bowl until dark the only time they will be in will be when the youngsters are out at first light. I plan to work them very hard this season and go to every race I possibly can.

I plan to be flying natural this season I have roughly 25 pairs I will pair up in the middle of Febuary once paired up and down on eggs the pigeons will be on an open bowl until dark the only time they will be in will be when the youngsters are out at first light. I plan to work them very hard this season and go to every race I possibly can.

Good stuff George all the best for the coming season I hope you can give W Millen and all the rest of them a run for there money.

Why cant they do both? Widow or celibate early doors then select the correct cycle for the distance races?

The reason I'm on natural is time restraints with having a daughter taking her to four different clubs a week plus everything else.Just trying to make things as easy or simple as possible for myself