Midweek Racing

The Grass Cutter

ALMOND VALLEY DECIDED AT A SPECIAL MEETING DUE TO BAD WEATHER CONDITIONS, MEMBERS WERE UNABLE TO TRAIN THEIR YOUNG BIRDS AND THEREFORE THE START OF THE YOUNG BIRD SEASON WOULD BE POSTPONED FOR TWO WEEKS. RATHER THAN LOSING TWO RACES IT WAS THE MEMBERS' DECISION TO HAVE TWO MIDWEEK RACES. THE TWO RACES HAVE NOW TAKEN PLACE AND REPORTS COMING BACK FROM THE MEMBERS IS THAT BOTH RACES HAD GOOD RETURNS. IT ALSO APPEARS THE CLYDESDALE MIDWEEK CLUB RACE FROM ALNWICK HAD GOOD RETURNS. WHAT ARE THE OPINIONS OF PIGEONBASIC MEMBERS ON THE SUBJECT?

midweek raceing is okay if all your members are either on ets or dont work doesnt suit everyone Im afraid also if birds or not to be home by a certain time you could miss a break in weather if weather is dodgy .nothing against it but as said doesnt suit all

I was going to send half my team on Tuesday night and spoke to John jamieson on the phone about it but after a dodgy toss on Tuesday afternoon with some yb's I decided to give it a miss glad the race turned out ok.I thought the race would be fine as long as Percy wasnae into them too much

i think it,s a great opportunity for training purposes ,for those who work a shift pattern that means they cant always send on a Saturday ,for injured or late-breds ,and for build up to a National race .would be interested to see if a future programme was in place and i would encourage locals to send providing we could set up a suitable pick up piont . :emoticon-0137-clapping:

i dont think midweek racing would ever be a substitute for normal weekend racing. as tyson says it dosnt suite every one but as a extra form of training and that bit of added competition i think its a great idea.

weve went to both the Clydesdale midweek open races this year and have had full returns from both and the birds came well. the only reason we arnt members of the club is transport. (5 on the train to carstairs in no bad but dont fancy houwfing 24 lol). or we would have a team there every week.

you said one word in your statement cumbernauld CLASHING if all the scottish feds were back down the old traditional route you would have no clashing with north roaders . can hear it now shock horrer west route hawks . there is just as many on the east side now if not more thanks to the rspb but you do aviod which I think is the main problem down east side is clashing especially when you have dodgy weather situations and everybody is wanting to liberate at same time from different race points jmo

Funny how Percy no hungry during the week yeah.

Take on board about not suiting all but it seems to suit the y/b

Taking clashing out would seem to help the birds

Well done midweek boys you know it makes scenes

The fact that they can have good returns with mid week racing and there are still the same number of hawks in the sky confirms that most of our young bird losses are caused by clashing.

Eliminate clashing when we decide out race programs and returns will improve.

you said one word in your statement cumbernauld CLASHING if all the scottish feds were back down the old traditional route you would have no clashing with north roaders . can hear it now shock horrer west route hawks . there is just as many on the east side now if not more thanks to the rspb but you do aviod which I think is the main problem down east side is clashing especially when you have dodgy weather situations and everybody is wanting to liberate at same time from different race points jmo

Spot on mate,and it matters a jott to me what side hawks all over on both sides.

ALMOND VALLEY DECIDED AT A SPECIAL MEETING DUE TO BAD WEATHER CONDITIONS, MEMBERS WERE UNABLE TO TRAIN THEIR YOUNG BIRDS AND THEREFORE THE START OF THE YOUNG BIRD SEASON WOULD BE POSTPONED FOR TWO WEEKS. RATHER THAN LOSING TWO RACES IT WAS THE MEMBERS' DECISION TO HAVE TWO MIDWEEK RACES. THE TWO RACES HAVE NOW TAKEN PLACE AND REPORTS COMING BACK FROM THE MEMBERS IS THAT BOTH RACES HAD GOOD RETURNS. IT ALSO APPEARS THE CLYDESDALE MIDWEEK CLUB RACE FROM ALNWICK HAD GOOD RETURNS. WHAT ARE THE OPINIONS OF PIGEONBASIC MEMBERS ON THE SUBJECT?

as a member of almond valley i cant agree with mid week racing(nothing new,tried plenty of times before over the years)happy that the fed members have had good returns but lets not kid ourselves neither of these races was past the hump which we all know that is when we have terrible young bird losses,the a/v have a recent trend now of racing midweek and also fridays which i dont think is fair ie work commitments etc,the one area i do agree with the possible clashing point where it definately has advantages,but overall pigeon racing on the weekend for me. :huh: :huh:

this week we are at thirsk and I count 7 north road feds that I know about above me and with the dodgy forecast could lead to problems as I said you dont have that problem on the old route

I hope all race controllers take heed to this and make the phone calls that are necessary, its good to talk. Too many egos in this game thinking they can do what they want, hence the rotten returns people are experiencing this year.

Used to be a member of the anglo scottish midweek club which i though was a great idea with the possibility of my birds once the carlisle birds had arrived home coming the last 40 mls on there own,they then changed the goalposts and started racing on a saturday which defeated the hole purpose of me joining however with this weather struggling to get any racing .

Funny how Percy no hungry during the week yeah.

Take on board about not suiting all but it seems to suit the y/b

Taking clashing out would seem to help the birds

Well done midweek boys you know it makes scenes

a good reply m8. would be interesting re returns in midweek racing, percy is still there but clashing not

In the 60s 70s 80s all the Scottish feds with few exceptions went the West coast route and still got hammered back and forth with the Welsh North roaders liberating up to 20,000 birds in front of us and they never gave us the time of day regarding liberations times until we told them we were on a delayed liberation when most of the Scottish Feds were at leyland and the Welsh convoy of 15,000 liberated the same time we put up about 30,000 Scottish birds and if you old guys can remember most Scottish fanciers had Welsh strays in our lofts. That clashing incident stopped the Welsh from dominating the skies on the West route.

As regards this week-end. Why are we informed Thursday that basketing Saturday for a Sunday race when Friday is a better forecast ?.

In my club we are all retired or unemployed likewise most clubs in the Midland Fed. So'oo WHY DID WE NOT BASKET FOR A FRIDAY RACE or is that too blinking obvious.

a good reply m8. would be interesting re returns in midweek racing, percy is still there but clashing not

How often on a Saturday do we here of some feds having great races and returns,and the next has a disaster with more or less the same weather conditions,how often do we here or witness training tosses from the same place but different times being good or a disaster.Have you ever seen a peregrine going through a kit of pigeons,they scatter everywhere.Now lets say a feds birds have been hit by percy and they go in all directions and there is another fed coming behind it is obvious that these birds will pick up the birds that have been scattered,is that what you mean by clashing?Doo men need to realise that the peregrine falcon is a massive massive contributer to bad races and returns.

In the 60s 70s 80s all the Scottish feds with few exceptions went the West coast route and still got hammered back and forth with the Welsh North roaders liberating up to 20,000 birds in front of us and they never gave us the time of day regarding liberations times until we told them we were on a delayed liberation when most of the Scottish Feds were at leyland and the Welsh convoy of 15,000 liberated the same time we put up about 30,000 Scottish birds and if you old guys can remember most Scottish fanciers had Welsh strays in our lofts. That clashing incident stopped the Welsh from dominating the skies on the West route.

As regards this week-end. Why are we informed Thursday that basketing Saturday for a Sunday race when Friday is a better forecast ?.

In my club we are all retired or unemployed likewise most clubs in the Midland Fed. So'oo WHY DID WE NOT BASKET FOR A FRIDAY RACE or is that too blinking obvious.

think this would be the way forward makes sence

Wonderful Reply in fact common sense ,even us who are still working have ets we own our own lorry bet returns would greatly improve with yb's bet it does'ent happen to many dyed in the wool or lack of grey matter .

the whole reason for these races was to stop losing two ybd races and still there are people in the fed not happy dont know why im stil in this game the whole thing has changed from weather to radar to mobile phones to bop the cattle trucks that are still used but we seem incapable to change for the better the midweek races went very well

not seen him since last week, had 3/6 when he came with his clock tho, hes flying well ( better than me anyway:( )

Nice guy Let him know me and Andy asking for him

You will get your turn again soon we are at Cattrick the mora

Good luck to yo and the guys this weekend

Rab/Andy